Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Maintenance Program and getting Tiger?

Apple Maintenance Program and getting Tiger?
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 03:11 PM

Let me preface this by saying I tried to run a search but it doesn't appear to be working so if this has been covered before, sorry.

Anyhow, back when 10.3 came out, I was still in college and I went to get it at my campus bookstore. For 70 bucks, I could buy just Panther or the clerk mentioned this Apple Maintenance program where for 90 bucks, I'd get Panther on the spot plus system upgrades for the next 3 years. I filled out a form (they needed my Macs serial number etc) and went with that.
Now, my question is, how will this work for tiger? On the form I remember putting my address and all that stuff so I don't know if it'll be mailed to me or if I have to go to the bookstore to get it. Has anyone used this service before? I know it's a legitimate thing (between the form I filled out and finding various references to it on Apple's and other web sites) I just don't know how it works.
If anyone can proivde some info on how it works I'd greatly appreciate it. Worse comes to worse I'll call the bookstore and ask but I figured I'd check with you guys first.
Edit-May have answered my own question by reading this
http://www.apple.com.au/software/volumelicencing/
If it works the same way in the USA, it sounds like it'll be shipped out to me automatically. Just hope it's fairly quick.
Regards,
Dave

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by dfbennett
Let me preface this by saying I tried to run a search but it doesn't appear to be working so if this has been covered before, sorry.

Anyhow, back when 10.3 came out, I was still in college and I went to get it at my campus bookstore. For 70 bucks, I could buy just Panther or the clerk mentioned this Apple Maintenance program where for 90 bucks, I'd get Panther on the spot plus system upgrades for the next 3 years. I filled out a form (they needed my Macs serial number etc) and went with that.
Now, my question is, how will this work for tiger? On the form I remember putting my address and all that stuff so I don't know if it'll be mailed to me or if I have to go to the bookstore to get it. Has anyone used this service before? I know it's a legitimate thing (between the form I filled out and finding various references to it on Apple's and other web sites) I just don't know how it works.
If anyone can proivde some info on how it works I'd greatly appreciate it. Worse comes to worse I'll call the bookstore and ask but I figured I'd check with you guys first.
Edit-May have answered my own question by reading this
http://www.apple.com.au/software/volumelicencing/
If it works the same way in the USA, it sounds like it'll be shipped out to me automatically. Just hope it's fairly quick.
I did the same thing, probably at the same school as you because I notice that your location is CT. I have to bring my iBook in for repairs next week and I am going to find out when I can expect my copy of tiger, I will let you know what I find out.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 10:12 PM

cool Thanks. It was UConn just fo clarification.
Regards,
Dave

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 08:41 AM

Uconn is where I went too. I called them yesterday and they said that once they get Tiger they will notify me and ask if I want it mailed to me or if I want to pick it up. I think I may pick it up because I don't want to wait the extra time to have it mailed.
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 05:40 PM

awesome. If you could possibly reply here or send me a PM when you find out that'd be great. I may go pick it up as well, especially if I can get it at the Hartford Branch.
Do they tell you if you needed to bring anything if you wanted it in person? I still have my reciept but that's it.
Regards,
Dave

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 04:08 PM

I called up the Co-Op in Storrs yesterday and they had it in. I went and picked it up last night, all they needed was a picture ID. So far it seems pretty good. Good luck!
Regards,
Dave

mjarski15
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dfbennett
I called up the Co-Op in Storrs yesterday and they had it in. I went and picked it up last night, all they needed was a picture ID. So far it seems pretty good. Good luck!
Thanks for the update, I think I will get my copy sometime in the next two weeks (too busy to install it right now so it is good I don't have it).
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules