Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Internal Floppy in G4?

Internal Floppy in G4?
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 07:47 PM

Hi,
I'm curious if I can install a regular PC floppy drive in my G4. I realize that the bezel would have to be modified to accomadate the floppy drive but disregarding this, otherwise would it work? Thanks for any info
Regards,
Dave

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 10:10 PM

if ithe floppy drive has and IDE interface it should work fine

Nimisys
Banned
Jun 5, 2001, 03:18 AM

and fdd's don't...thats why they are on seperate controllers with different pinouts.

Nimisys
Banned
Jun 5, 2001, 03:19 AM

and fdd's don't...thats why they are on seperate controllers with different pinouts.

But take an LS120 superdrive and you could do it. i believe they run off of EIDE (anything that has master/slave is EIDE) and are the same size and shape of standard FDD's...

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 08:13 PM

If you use a mac floppy drive it may be possible. One the center of my G4 circuit board there are holes that look like they are for a 20 pin connector. I dont know if it is for floppy. Remember that iMac hack where you can solder a flopy drive to it? This may be the same situation. I wouldnt try if you arent sure. Do some research and you should find out.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules