Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone buying a Mac soon?

Anyone buying a Mac soon?
Thread Tools
StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2007, 10:26 PM
 
Just curious to if anyone is buying a new Macbook in the near future or waiting for the leopard release.

I can't decide myself to wait or just buy it next week (when I get the last chunk of change needed). Maybe thats just the PC talking as this will be my first Mac, and hardware upgrade in 6 years. My XP box is getting very sluggish and its causing a lot of crashes.

Anyway, hit me with your comments. . .
     
ChasingApple
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2007, 10:30 PM
 
Bought mine a few days ago and I am completely happy with it. I will purchase Leopard when it comes out
iMac G4 / Macbook
     
StickClicks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2007, 10:34 PM
 
Congrats! What Mac was it?
     
MDavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
 
I'm purchasing a mac in a couple of weeks, not sure if i want the black or white MB.. Decisions! lol
     
StickClicks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 13, 2007, 11:04 PM
 
haha, I like the white personally, all my PC laptops have been black. Good luck with your purchase!
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 12:51 AM
 
I'll for sure be buying one soon, but I'm going to wait and see what they say on the announcement set for the 20th. Leopard is a given, but I think I'll wait and make sure there aren't any surprises coming out with it. If not, I'll get my Macbook then and upgrade to to the new species of feline when it ships.
     
ChasingApple
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 01:03 AM
 
I got the Macbook 2Ghz
iMac G4 / Macbook
     
AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 01:15 AM
 
Whens the new intel chipset coming out? I might wait till then.
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 01:38 AM
 
There are rumors that the new chips will be coming out on either the Mac Pro or iMacs soon. Apple will be holding an event next week on the 20th mostly to officially announce the ship date of leopard, but you can assume there will be some other things as well. I was at a technology fair at my university a few days ago and the apple rep there was suggesting that it would probably be a good idea to hold of until after the 20th to buy anything. So we might get some good news.
     
gorgesailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
 
Hey Folks,

I'm about to pick up a MB C2D in white, but just finished reading the above regarding waiting until after the 20th... May I ask where the best www site is to find out recent announcements from Apple? Is it just simply their Apple website, or is there a more in depth place?

Cheers,

GS
     
xtal
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
 
As many will tell you, if you wait for the next upgrade, you'll be waiting forever.

That being said, some good sources for the answer to "when to buy" question is the Mac Buyer's Guide at Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac.


To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
     
austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by MDavid View Post
I'm purchasing a mac in a couple of weeks, not sure if i want the black or white MB.. Decisions! lol
I'd get the white. Its cheaper and doesn't show fingerprints as much. I have the black and wish I had the white sometimes.
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 07:11 PM
 
My general rule of thumb has been that if there is an announcement scheduled or major event (CES. MacWorld, ect) coming up in in the next 2 to 3 weeks, hold off unless you need it. Also if there are known major hardware upgrades coming in the next 2 months (like ATIs new DX10 cards and the price drop scheduled for Core 2 desktop processors in April) then I also tend to wait and see.

But as xtal said, if you don't know for sure there is something coming up soon, get what you want. No point in waiting because there "might" be something new. There always will be. It's just a matter of when and how practical waiting is in your situation.
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 07:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by austincabot View Post
I'd get the white. Its cheaper and doesn't show fingerprints as much. I have the black and wish I had the white sometimes.
The white is more practical. There's still a premium just for the color. You can spec the mid range white macbook to the same as the highest backbook and the only difference would be the color. But even just on looks I like the white. Every laptop out there is black, gray or silver. At least the mac white is something different.
     
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 07:23 PM
 
the price drop scheduled for Core 2 desktop processors in April
How will this affect any Macs? None of them use Conroe.
Linkinus is king.
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
 
It won't. I was just using that as a current example of how I usually gauge if I should buy or wait.
     
SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Abilene, TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
 
I get my tax return on the 20th and will order that day. Hopefully with a free leopard upgrade.
     
ShawnDC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
 
I'm planning on getting the black MacBook when leopard is released. I have an iBook that works fine now (dispite the fact that it was accidentally soaked with beer a few months ago...while on!) although I'm running out of hard drive space, so there is really no big rush. I've found that the white iBook shows so much dirt and that there is a permanent hand print on it where I usually rest my hand. For that reason I'm going for the black one.
     
MDavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by ShawnDC View Post
I'm planning on getting the black MacBook when leopard is released. I have an iBook that works fine now (dispite the fact that it was accidentally soaked with beer a few months ago...while on!) although I'm running out of hard drive space, so there is really no big rush. I've found that the white iBook shows so much dirt and that there is a permanent hand print on it where I usually rest my hand. For that reason I'm going for the black one.
This is one of my main concern's with the white macbook, that's why i'm still thinking about it.
     
ChasingApple
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 03:58 AM
 
Originally Posted by ShawnDC View Post
I'm planning on getting the black MacBook when leopard is released. I have an iBook that works fine now (dispite the fact that it was accidentally soaked with beer a few months ago...while on!) although I'm running out of hard drive space, so there is really no big rush. I've found that the white iBook shows so much dirt and that there is a permanent hand print on it where I usually rest my hand. For that reason I'm going for the black one.
Black one shows the hand marks even more so. At least with the white one you can use a mr clean magic eraser and get rid of the marks
iMac G4 / Macbook
     
kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
 
I just picked up a black Macbook c2d 2 weeks ago and have no regrets. It replaced a 1.33gHz 12" iBook and is WAY faster for everything I do.

I got a clear Speck shell at the Apple store and Marware's protection pack, and I'm good to go.
     
jough
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
 
I was going to pick up a white MacBook this week, but I think I'll wait until after the 20th to see if they announce anything new. If not, I'm not going to wait another month or two to see if they do eventually replace the MacBook with something faster/better/cheaper. There will always be upgrades in the future. I really like the MacBook now.
     
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by jough View Post
I was going to pick up a white MacBook this week, but I think I'll wait until after the 20th to see if they announce anything new. If not, I'm not going to wait another month or two to see if they do eventually replace the MacBook with something faster/better/cheaper. There will always be upgrades in the future. I really like the MacBook now.
I'm with ya there. It's silly not to wait when there might be something announced next week, but if not, the credit card is coming out.
     
ShawnDC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
 
My problem with the white iBook isn't that it shows dirt, it is that it has a permanent imprint of my hand stained into it (I'm not a dirty person....I swear!). I've tried cleaning it with everything and nothing removes it. That's why I want the black one this time (and I simply covet it)
     
fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2007, 12:04 AM
 
I plan to buy once Leopard is out and they get another hardware refresh.

I'm in IT as a Storage Engineer and I have a P4 3.4GHz/1GB/120GB/Dual 19" as my desktop computer at home). I find myself wanting to get rid of my large computer (about 20 inches tall, but only 1 optical, 1 hard drive, 1 expansion card) and replace it with a MacBook. With a RAM upgrade and a new 80GB+ 7200RPM 8MB laptop drive I would have a computer that is faster than my current one, cheaper than what I paid, could suffice as a complete DTR, and make an excellent portable machine - I think we have a winner.
     
brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: great northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2007, 02:38 AM
 
I'm waiting for Leopard and possibly longer. My 15" Powerbook is less than two years old and does everything I need it to, so it's not a question of not being able to do something I need to do. More like waiting till I get more value, like the new iLife and wireless networking protocol. In fact, if I didn't have a friend who covets this PowerBook in the next few months, I'd probably wait another year in hopes the new models would have even more new features, like flash memory instead of a hard drive, LED screen, faster chips, maybe bundled with a free iPod, etc.
     
Drew
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2007, 10:05 PM
 
I am! But by the time I can afford it, Leopard should be out. I'm aiming for about....summer. I have about 200$ saved up, but that's going into some more RAM for my iMac, cause 512 isn't enough....hmmm...i'm probably going to have to get my ram for my macbook too.. Oh well.
     
jough
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2007, 10:57 PM
 
Well, despite the rumour mill in overdrive again, there were no major announcements from Apple today (unless you want to count the addition of Billy Joel's catalog to the iTunes store as "major").

So, now I just have to decide if I can wait until the end of March to get a new MacBook, or if I should just get it now and shell out for Leopard when it's released.
     
cjmal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
 
well, if you consider august soon, then sure
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 21, 2007, 01:14 AM
 
As there was no announcement today, I went ahead and ordered the white 2GHz Macbook (refurb) for $1099.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,