Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what do you use your MB for?

what do you use your MB for?
RJS9S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 12:01 AM

Title says it all.... what are all you guys using your macbooks for? web surfing, chatting, video editing, audio, photoshop... etc

iLoooveMeSomeMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 12:24 AM

everything

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 05:37 PM

I use it for everything too. I originally bought a MBP, so I was skeptical if the black Macbook I bought would really cover all the bases. It does. I just ordered a 2GB RAM upgrade, which should smooth out the framerates a bit in WoW and I'll be all set.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2007, 08:30 PM

Everything. Web, word processing, graphics, blogging, showing off (Front Row, Parallels...), Terragen renders.
My MB is my one and only.

RJS9S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 09:46 PM

wow, glad to hear some good reviews. being 15 years old i cant really afford the mbp, so im gonna have to get the mb w/ 2gb ram. so you guys edit and it run fine? sounds awesome. i cant wait to get one.

brschetgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 10:46 PM

I use it as my primary machine... as a cross platform IT guy. It takes care of all of my personal needs (web browsing, e-mail, word processing, contacts, calanders, music, photos) as well as a few networking and wireless infrastructure tasks. With the advent of the Intel Mac, I am able to install and run Windows naitively via Parallels and take care of the rest of my IT needs on that side of the spectrum.
White MacBook/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/160 GB HDD/2 GB RAM
iPhone/4 GB
Black iPod Nano (1st Gen)/2 GB

socosurf4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 01:22 PM

Really everything. I thought I would use it more, but I have a desktop right now which I use mostly. But I love going to Starbucks and having people say how 'sexy' the Macbook is. Hehe.

RJS9S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 02:23 PM

haha, havnt seen one in person. But you guys are really influencing me into geting one. anybody here hook theres up to a monitor?

G_B
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 07:18 PM

My MB is my main machine, so it does everything: office, internet browsing, itunes, some photo editing and a lot more. I use it at work, and when I'm at home, I use it with an external monitor (Acer 19" wide screen), keyboard and mouse.

What's keeping you from buying a MB, RJS9S?

RJS9S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 07:57 PM

sweet I have a 19" too, so does it have the right resolution? The only thing keeping me back from buying one the fact of money lol. being 15 im at the point where people only higher 16 & up, so i work with very low pay check lol. Other then that the mb is on my mind all day.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 07:59 PM

My Blacbook is (currently) my main machine, and it does everything I need, as I am a student. I'm waiting for the new Mac Mini's to be released so I can snatch up one of them.

What exactly does it do?
World of Warcraft, Offie, Internet, iTunes, Photoshop, Garageband, Adium, and being a server when my friends and I want to transfer music files. It's great, and I also span mine using a 19" widescreen LCD.

I am also the only person I know, even on this board with a week twenty.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

RJS9S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 08:18 PM

nice! but what do you mean by " a week twenty " ?

Cold Warrior
Feb 18, 2007, 09:06 PM

Word processing, email, spreadsheet work (all MS Office); video editing and burning (iMovie, iDVD); web site creation (iWeb); photo collection and editing (iPhoto); music storage and burning (iTunes); browsing (Firefox, Safari); audio and video chat (Skype); downloading (Azureus); Windows XP (Parallels); and video watching (VLC and Quicktime). Most everything.

xtal
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 03:41 PM

In addition to the usual personal uses, I use my Macbook for this kind of stuff:

Apple - Science - Science Solutions - Advanced 3D Molecular Visualization

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by RJS9S View Post
nice! but what do you mean by " a week twenty " ?
It refers to the week of the year that the computer was created. Week 20 was the week whent he first generation MacBooks came out, and I ordered one. Everyone else I know who had a week 20 has had something go wrong with it, except mine!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

TehBenneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 08:36 AM

I use mine for absoloutely everything!

Started out as just a laptop, a sexy shiny laptop, I've been using macs at work for the last 6 or so years teaching kids to edit in iMovie and photoshop stuff... and I've always wanted to own one at home... so I splashed out after a juicy tax rebate, and over the weeks as I got into iLife more and more at home it's completely replaced the two dell workstations [cubase sx2 rig, webserver, and 3ds Max workstation] & IBM thinkpad I'd been using. I even went as far as recording a whole 7 track EP using nothing but garageband, the inbuilt mic, and my guitars [download link in signature ]

You know what, I wouldn't change it for the world! i love my 'book to bits.

Now all I gotta do is wait for autodesk to bring out a mac version of 3ds max and I'm sorted...

~bash $
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 09:08 PM

It's coupled with my Mac Pro, so I use it for light stuff on the road, such as explaining stuff I don't actually understand to colleagues (Keynote) and writing MATLAB code (can we get a mac-native version, please???) for science simulations.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 05:16 AM

I use my G5 iMac and my MacBook interchangably. Neither is "primary" anymore. The iMac is easier to use for banking and mouse-intensive stuff. The MacBook, obviously, works better from bed (where I am now) or on the back patio with a Heffeweizen at my side. Which machine I'm on just depends on where I need to be.

I wish .Mac syncing kept your mail, photos, music and documents identical across multiple machines. Anybody have a seamless solution for that?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

TehBenneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I use my G5 iMac and my MacBook interchangably. Neither is "primary" anymore. The iMac is easier to use for banking and mouse-intensive stuff. The MacBook, obviously, works better from bed (where I am now) or on the back patio with a Heffeweizen at my side. Which machine I'm on just depends on where I need to be.

I wish .Mac syncing kept your mail, photos, music and documents identical across multiple machines. Anybody have a seamless solution for that?
could buy an Xserve

Forum Links
Forum Rules