Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook comes tomorrow!

Macbook comes tomorrow!
skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 AM

My new macbook comes in tomorrow, after getting rid of my G4 MDD on Friday this is the longest ive been with out a Mac for a long time lol. Does anyone know how well it does with games? My MDD had a 64MB ATI Radeon 9000 and I was happy with the performance of that. If i liked that will the integrated 64MB be good enough for me?

Also, what are some good things to have along with the macbook. External drives? best case/sleeve? I plan on starting to do video editing as I am currently a film student. Would it be better to get a hard case instead of a soft one? So far I bought a BT Apple keyboard and a Logitech MX Revolution.

Also, is it possible to run a 7200 RPM HD in it? Is it worth it?

Thanks for the input!

BTW my grandmother ordered the White C2D 2.0 for my birthday which was today =D

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 12:30 AM

Oh yeah, you can run a 7200RPM HDD in the MacBook with no problem. If you're planning on running pro apps, I definitely recommend it. I've been very pleased with the performance of the Seagate Momentus 7200 SATA Series notebook HDDs

While you're upgrading the HDD, you might want to max out the RAM too. Can't go wrong with 2 gigs of Crucial

Enjoy!

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 13, 2007, 02:50 AM

7200rpm? well, it depends on how much space you typically use. in short, if you use up most of the space on a hard drive, a 5400rpm drive is as quick as a 7200rpm drive.

however, if your hard drive is mostly empty, then a 7200rpm drive is faster. i think barefeats.com has the benchmarks for it.

7200rpm is so much more expensive than a 5400rpm. i'd much rather get the capacity. there aren't many hard cases out there for the macbook. if anything, i'd recommend getting a bestskinsever for the macbook. it'll protect against scratches and other such mishaps.

we don't know what kind of situations your macbook would be in. if you're pretty cavalier about your stuff, then a thicker case would be more appropriate. but if you baby it, a best skinsever would be the best bet.

without more info, typing about hypothetical situations would be futile and a waste of time.

my "must have" accesories for the mac include
-steermouse (fully use every single button on the mouse.....esp good for expose)
-griffin elevator (for ergonomics)
-bestskinsever
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 07:28 AM

I do baby my computers, but accidents happen. I was looking at the griffin elevator on apple.com is it nice? worth the money? If I am not mistaken isnt there 160 GIG laptop hard drives available? I know it sounds like i should have got the MBP in the first place, but my grandmother bought it for me as a gift so i cant complain.

I think I am about to order a new icemat mousepad , I have the icemat siberia headset and its nice.

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 10:38 AM

I highly recommend the Speck hardcase for the Macbook. I have one on my black MacBook and it's kept is scratch free. I also recommend the Marware protection pack. The wristrest pad is really nice and will keep the plastic from getting worn. It also has a nice keyboard cover cloth that is great for cleaning the smudges and dust off the screen.

post_break
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 AM

Sheesh you guys prepare your macs for battle with the plastic "helmets" and countless sleeves and cases. Im sorry but if you are that rough with your laptop maybe you should change your ways or something. That is unless you have kids, then I understand completely.

100 gig 7200 Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K100 100GB 2.5" Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

160 gig 5400 Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 160GB 2.5" Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Sheesh you guys prepare your macs for battle with the plastic "helmets" and countless sleeves and cases. Im sorry but if you are that rough with your laptop maybe you should change your ways or something. That is unless you have kids, then I understand completely.

100 gig 7200 Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K100 100GB 2.5" Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

160 gig 5400 Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 160GB 2.5" Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
its not that we arent careful, but accidents do happen

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by skacoreimplore View Post
its not that we arent careful, but accidents do happen
Or wars in my PowerBook's case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules