Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New AIM is out

New AIM is out
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 08:13 PM

AOL released a new build of AIM for X and it now has buddy icons and a few other things. One major bug was finally fixed: the screen now keeps up with my keyboard. No delay as in previous builds. A cool feature is when you minimize an IM to the dock, it uses that buddies icon(if available) as the dock icon. Once they add smilies and file transfer this thing will be great.
Regards,
Dave

Singrfreak
Jul 13, 2001, 12:25 AM

AIM has been making pretty steady progress...there's still one thing that I miss, though, and I wonder if anyone knows if it'll be added back in. Message histories were always nice to have...but they haven't been in any of the OS X builds. Any info as to whether this is a planned feature (it's not mentioned in their list of things to be added later)?
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2001, 07:16 PM

Wow, the new version actually keeps up with my typing and is quite responsive (menus, moving windows, browsing stock quotes). All this on an iMac DV/400 MHz. Hopefully others applications will be making similar progress...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

jbotts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2001, 12:19 AM

Is anyone else experiencing strange behavior with OS X as a whole after installing the new AIM? The only software I've installed since the 10.0.4 update is the updated beta and now my system freezes - a phenomena I though left behind forever with my now constant use of X. It worked fine after installation until I restarted and then all hell broke lose - the system starts up but then locks up when opening any application - Omniweb, AIM, iTunes, Classic, etc. Sometimes the system is ok for a few minutes and then it reverts back to its unruly behavior. I'm back in 9.1 until I find a cause for all this - any ideas? Will removing the AIM application alone solve anything or are there other pieces scattered around? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Joshua Botts
AIM: abbey road 1979
WWW: http://plaza.ufl.edu/jbotts/index.html

Bandwagon
Jul 14, 2001, 01:51 AM

The last AIM install didn't work on my OSX. It worked the first time I installed X, but I reinstalled everything. AIM was the only thing that didn't install perfectly (well, except for X11R6 apps). I was waiting for a new one and hoping that it would install. But, this new one does the same thing as the old:

"The application InstallAIM4.5.237 has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected."

That's all I get. Any ideas? 10.0.4, TiPB/500/512

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2001, 07:35 PM

Bandwagon, I started getting that constantly in OSX in all my applications, then I removed that 512MB DIMM i just got from 18004memory, and the problem was gone. Still waiting for the replacement though...waiting and waiting......

Forum Links
Forum Rules