Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTUNES: Disabling playlist possible?

iTUNES: Disabling playlist possible?
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2004, 11:22 AM

I'm not finding any way to completely disable a playlist from playing any of the songs it contains when using iTunes with Shuffle activated.

For example, I have a few hundred 15-30 audio nuggets that I use with iMovie/iDVD that are in a playlist in iTunes. However, I'd like to turn them off in one click�as opposed to having to uncheck each file individually.

A function similar to that of Font Book that allows you to disable a font would be quite useful in this case.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 11:42 AM

This will probably be moved into the Software forum. Only two ways of doing what you want AFAIK are to uncheck the songs or to create a playlist that doesn't include these songs and play that specific playlist.

What you're saying is a bit confusing because playlists don't care what other playlists show or play. If you're playing you're entire iTunes Library, it's not looking at any playlists, not paying any attention to them.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 12:42 PM

Command-click on the checkbox, that will uncheck every song in the playlist.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2004, 01:18 PM

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for!

And THAT is what I love about these forums.

Thanks for the quick solution.

D
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 01:22 PM

I can't believe I never tried that before either.

<smacks hand on forehead>

Gracias!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
Command-click on the checkbox, that will uncheck every song in the playlist.
Cool. I didn't know that.

If you're interested in doing this to a selection of songs instead of a whole playlist, here's a script you can use. It toggles whatever the current selection is. So if half of the selected are enabled and half are disabled, this toggles them. It would take minimal changes to make it go all one way or the other.
Code:
tell application "iTunes" set sel to the selection of the front window if sel is {} then beep else repeat with thisTrack in sel if enabled of thisTrack is true then set enabled of thisTrack to false else set enabled of thisTrack to true end if end repeat end if end tell
Click to open this script in script editor

Take a look here for getting the AppleScript menu to work with iTunes. Also, I give that website some credit for the script above since I was just going to post a script from there, but ended up fixing bugs with it, and finally because of the "command-click" trick above I ended up altering it and it's functionality almost completely.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 03:28 PM

You're all welcome. I think if you go to iTunes' Help menu and go to "Keyboard Shorcuts" (I'm not at my computer) it lists everything, including other tips like shift-clicking the new playlist button with tracks selected.

That tinyurl site is great, I need to remember that.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
That tinyurl site is great, I need to remember that.
Makes it extremely helpful for posting URLs that are otherwise forum-unfriendly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules