Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Losing Available RAM

Losing Available RAM
AmericanPsych0
Dec 29, 2004, 06:41 AM

Okay, I usual have something or other going on, so like a lot of you I only turn my computer off every few days. Lately, though, I've been watching the Activity Monitor--I've been having some slow-downs--and notice that I'm constantly left with less than 50MB of RAM free. I don't usually have that many applications open, but what's more is that I have less RAM available as time goes on. For instance, I just restarted my computer, and I had 500MB of free RAM. That's with no applications open (aside from the start-ups: TigerLaunch, Desktop Manager, WinSwitcher). Before I restarted, I closed everything and only had 270MB left. I'm sort of doubting this is something usual, if only because the difference is so huge.

Here are my specs: 12" PowerBook G4 (Rev. C); 1.33GHz; 768MB PC2700; 60GB HDD (33GB free); OS X 10.3.7

I only bought it about two months ago, so it's pretty new.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 06:43 AM

It's normal, don't worry. Do a search on memory management here on the forums.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Dec 29, 2004, 07:14 AM

Thanks a lot. I ran a quick search and this thread explained everything. Thanks again.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules