Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Besides Palm, what can we use else?

Besides Palm, what can we use else?
kansir
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2000, 06:09 AM

Besides Palm, what PDA can we use on Mac else?
Besides, do you think Apple will make a new PDA?
Kansir
Learning everyday,
Enjoy everyday.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2000, 06:30 PM

Newton.

haha I beat you to it sine
and play the game existence to the end

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2000, 09:38 PM

Handspring Visor Deluxe!

Donna Dubinsky Rules!!!!

kansir  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2000, 10:16 PM

In my knowledge, Handspring Visor Deluxe can not upgrade its OS. Right?

Kansir
Learning everyday,
Enjoy everyday.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2000, 11:40 PM

Correct about not being able to upgrade the Visor's OS. Same thing for some of the Palm models. The Palm VII is not upgradable, nor is either of the V's. This lack of upgrade figured big in my decision not to go with the Visor. I got the Palm IIIxe. The TRG Pro looks interesting. Same form factor as the Palm III series, but with a slot for memory modules where Visor has the springboard slot. Their web site says the OS is upgradable.

------------------
Peep my iDisk: rambo47
"There is no spoon."

Misha
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2000, 08:00 AM

Both the Palm V and Palm VII organizers have flash memory for upgrading the OS...

With the Handspring you get that cool Springboard slot in a more affordable package, but I really question the limitations that not being upgrade the OS might pose down the road.

I went with the Palm V... primarily because it looks cool and for me 2MB is plenty (I can always upgrade later with one of those non-sanctioned hacks).

Bobby
Jun 26, 2000, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Misha:
Both the Palm V and Palm VII organizers have flash memory for upgrading the OS...

With the Handspring you get that cool Springboard slot in a more affordable package, but I really question the limitations that not being upgrade the OS might pose down the road.
Someone at my work has a handspring. He said there is appaerntly a springboard module that can updgrade the OS, however the limitation there is that you can't use other modules while using the OS upgrade one...

------------------
[This message has been edited by Bobby (edited 06-26-2000).]

GR
Jun 28, 2000, 11:02 AM

I feel like I'm becoming a crusader on this topic, but big fat hairy deal on not being able to upgrade the Palm OS. What's the greatest innovation in the latest upgrade? Color. Something that you can't even use on the monochrome-display models. Do not make the mistake of analogizing upgradeability of a PDA to that of a Mac/PC -- it just doesn't compare. Look for value, look for functionality, but don't delude yourself into thinking that an OS upgrade is an essential feature.

Joel Kopitz
Jun 28, 2000, 12:40 PM

In response to the original question on alternatives:

Psion.

I've had a revo for about a month and love it. Very elegant.

Smaller than a newton but bigger than a palm.

I've just ordered the (unfortunately) $50 extra mac connection kit.

GR
Jun 28, 2000, 02:08 PM

Regarding the Psion: I've had my Revo since January and it really is an impressive little device. However, its Mac connectivity is Medieval compared to the Palm-compatibles. Also, the ubiquitous nature of the Palm OS makes Psion a difficult sell until someone starts putting out more software.

LeFonk
Jun 28, 2000, 02:24 PM

The Mac Connect software for Psion is almost worthless. It does not transfer files except for archivng. However, once installed, MacConnect allows you to install EnFour's wonderful FREEWARE "EPOC-MAC" conversion. This allows text transfers, and, they claim, database transfers between the Psion & Filemaker.

Those of us who use the Series 5 have for years laughed at many Palm users, as the S5 is a clearly superior platform. It's a stand-alone alternative to a laptop, with full word, database, spreadsheet, web, email, fax, etc capabilities. However, Psion has treated Mac users with complete indifference, so I can certainly understand Mac users who feel handcuffed to the Palm.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2000, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by GR:
I feel like I'm becoming a crusader on this topic, but big fat hairy deal on not being able to upgrade the Palm OS. What's the greatest innovation in the latest upgrade? Color. Something that you can't even use on the monochrome-display models. Do not make the mistake of analogizing upgradeability of a PDA to that of a Mac/PC -- it just doesn't compare. Look for value, look for functionality, but don't delude yourself into thinking that an OS upgrade is an essential feature.
You're forgetting better infrared communications and faster syncing. Also, the tap-down menu is surprisingly useful (to me anyway). Going back to previous versions of the Palm OS, I'm always tapping on the top left of the screen thinking the menu will appear.

FWIW

JoshFofer
Jun 29, 2000, 05:07 AM

"Also, the tap-down menu is surprisingly useful (to me anyway). Going back to previous versions of the Palm OS, I'm always tapping on the top left of the screen thinking the menu will appear."

Hehe, that's because you're thinking like a Mac user... I agree, it's useful and should have been that way from the beginning. You can always install MenuHack on the older Palms, it gives this same ability. I like my new gold Palm VX though...

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2000, 09:14 AM

I believe that whole "upgradeable OS" is just spin anyway. I've read that upgrade is stored in RAM, along with other apps and Hacks. That's how it works on my Palm.

I'd buy a Visor if it was color. Until then, I am using a PalmPilot (yes PalmPilot) Professional, and I experience no shortcomings from using an older model.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2000, 11:18 AM

I'd have to disagree, GORDYmac.

Some models, such as the Handspring Visor and Palm IIIe, are not OS upgradable. That means you can't upgrade to the latest software revision with new features and capabilities.

Also, having color on your Palm is completely unneccesary. I have a Palm IIIc, and it was more of a burden rather than a feature. The battery life on the Palm IIIc is horrible compared with my Palm Vx. I am talking less than three days of heavy use. If you don't use your PDA that much, I think you may be able to get about a week of use out of this sucker, but that's it. Sure, color might be a cool feature to have, but its implementation is, to say the least, poor. If someone finds a good use for color on a PDA, I'm open to that. For now, I use my awesome Palm Vx and Minstrel wireless modem. They should really come up with SETI@home for the Palm ( ). Then, my Palm IIIc would actually be used...

JDRaven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2000, 05:40 PM

I have a Visor, and I like it lots. The handwriting is less than perfect, but Jot conflicts with my Tetris clone...so I'm not rushing to buy it .

Seriously, the syncing is just fine with a Visor, so there's no need for the OS upgrades out so far. I also don't like the idea of color battery life, so no sadness there, either. Menu tapping can be supported by MenuHack (requires HackMaster), which I'm using, and I like it a lot. It does make the Datebook feature of toggling the date and time not work, but I'm also running Launch'em so I can get the time there. I also wear a watch.

The Datebook+ app on the Visor is very well integrated, in that I can tap the "New" button to create a new entry, and get my choice of Floating Event, To Do, Daily Journal, Template, or Appointment (the Palm default). The Palm Datebook just goes right to an appointment. This is great because you can enter a to do item on a datebook page, and it floats from day to day untill you mark it done. I LOVE this feature, and the to do's still end up in the ToDo list app. So even though the to do goes away in the Datebok, you can go back and find it later if you need ta.

I also reccommend the Slipper Visor case with the belt clip...it's a nice leather case that gives the Visor a filp cover (one sad drawback is the Visor's clip-on lid), leather abrasion resistance, and the quick release clipping ability of a cell phone.

YMMV,

JDRaven

[This message has been edited by JDRaven (edited 06-30-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules