Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what to eat in tokyo??

what to eat in tokyo??
hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 11:47 PM

hey all,

i'm gonna be in tokyo for a few days in a few weeks... any good suggestions for any good restaurants in various areas of the city? its a vacation, so the prices can be a little more than cheap... but within reasonable range... i looked up other threads in this forum, but found suggestions for super cheap places, which i will also keep in mind in my travels...

anyway, any good suggestions?

thx!

JohnSmith69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 12:02 AM

your mom?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:06 AM

What kind of food do you like?

If you are looking for absolutely killer sushi/sashimi, look up Hinazushi in Roppongi. JPY3,500 or so for all you can eat excluding alcohol with absolutely no punches pulled on the quality of the food or on menu selection.

The address is:

6-1-20 Roppongi
03-3403-9112
map

Located in the heart of the entertainment district so it makes for a good early dinner followed by a night of frolicking.

Enjoy!

Edit: Take pics; I'd love to see how adventurous you get with your dining adventure.

Originally posted by hseikaly:
hey all,

i'm gonna be in tokyo for a few days in a few weeks... any good suggestions for any good restaurants in various areas of the city? its a vacation, so the prices can be a little more than cheap... but within reasonable range... i looked up other threads in this forum, but found suggestions for super cheap places, which i will also keep in mind in my travels...

anyway, any good suggestions?

thx!
( Last edited by legacyb4; Sep 21, 2004 at 12:11 AM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:10 AM

oddly enough, i enjoy food from the cheap curry places in tokyo immensely. the u.s. needs more of them

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 02:37 AM

Especially during weekends, the area around the big Asakusa Kannon-Ji temple becomes a tourist trap (Japanese tourists mostly) where you can find all kinds of snacks and fast food, market- style. A must-do kinda thing and fun.

Japanese curry rocks, yeah, the cheap places are great.

It's kinda hard to go wrond in Tokyo. The standards are quite high. Avoid anything that looks too western, with big words 'restaurant' or something like that.

This site is nice : http://www.bento.com/tokyofood.html

And oddly, Nokia, who don't have any foothold in Japan, have a nice site too : http://club.nokia.co.jp/tokyoq/ (free reg. for most contents)

J

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 02:56 AM

sweet ... you're in tokyo .. lucky devil .. i'd eat anything and everything .. japanese food rocks.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 03:36 AM

You don't need recommendations. Just go and eat.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:11 AM

Having lived in Tokyo for 12+ years, I actually DO recommend doing a bit of homework if you really want a good eating experience; like any other city, Tokyo covers the entire spectrum of good to bad and you *can* end up in a pretty cr@ppy restaurant without realizing it.

Take tempura for example; if you go strictly by what you see, you could either end up eating something that is as deep-fried to perfection, or end up with an oil-soaked mess on your plate...

Originally posted by wataru:
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

hseikaly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 10:14 AM

wow, thanks for the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it... but keep em coming! i wouldn't mind exhausting all the fine resources here on the forums..

thx again...

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Living in San Francisco (tourist city) and working in chinatown (tourists flock there)

I can give you a few tips...

1) Dont go to a restaurant that was recommended by a lady on the corner with a flyer... If a restaurant is good, they dont need advertisement.

2) Eat where the natives eat. If you see other tourists there, you may be in trouble

3) Side streets seem to have restaurants with good food and good prices ... the main drag tends to have higher rent / higher prices and may be catering to tourists...

4) stay away from "ethnic fast food" unless a lot of natives are eating there...

5) stay away from mc donalds, burger king, kfc ... etc ... you are there to experience japan (hopefully) .. why eat what you'd eat in america?

6) if it's full of people (and again ... they are natives) it's bound to be either damn good food, or damn good prices .. or both..

7) be adventurous ... dont be afraid of eating something because of it's looks or texture ... you'd be surprised .. look at some of the wierder things chinese people eat ... over 1.6billion people cant be wrong...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 04:36 PM

then again ... a lot of natives in america eat at mcdonalds ... scratch that ... dont eat at fast food joints at all

those small markets and food stands/carts are awesome though!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2004, 04:42 PM

Eel! Try the eel, it's damned tasty.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules