Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Database driven web apps and mac software

Database driven web apps and mac software
Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 8, 2002, 10:39 AM

I'm planning to learn PHP, and XML as well as Flash all with databases involved, I am wondering what is the software used on OS X that will allow me to work on these platforms and develop data base driven web apps?

Looking at SQL and PHP on Windows at work, I tried to imagine how could one set up such a seamless environment at home on a Mac.

Also, is working with such applications and standards fully seamless between Mac and PC or does Windows hold some advantages in Web development over OS X.

Any help appreciated.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2002, 12:12 PM

Well I believe Apache is built into Mac OSX which would allow you to test and server XML and PHP. You can run MySQL for the DB piece.

vi, emacs, BBEdit are all powerful editors.

I'm not familiar with Apple's Dev tools but they may be suited for web development.

ilukas
Oct 9, 2002, 04:11 AM

Can I have that cookie?

Lucidwray
Oct 17, 2002, 05:16 AM

Go all Macromedia. Its the best solution.

If you want a very nice end to end (well as close as you can get) develpment solution for PHP use Dreamweaver MX. If you are going to be working with Flash this is a no brainer.

Dreamweaver MX has some very nice PHP/database connectivity features. Dreamweaver MX does native PHP coding now also. It allows you to setup a sites settings and enter the info about where the site is stored locally and also remotely, then also enter the info of the database server as well as a testing server (the apache/php machine). Once you have it setup for a peticular site it allows you to modify code (PHP/MySQL) in real time! Not like , saving a file and then reloading it. You type a change and it shows you the result as you finish it. Its very nice. It has a split screen mode that enables you to see a output (html rendered like a browser) view as well as the code view of any page at the same time. Modify one and the other updates.

I currently use Dreamweaver MX on 5 different PHP/MySQL sites over 2 servers and it works seamless.

Heres my setup:

(Local)Blue & White G3 500 Running 10.2 with Dreamweaver MX,Flash MX, Fireworks Mx,Photoshop,JaneBuilder1.5 for design and development.

(local) Blue & White G3 400 as a server running OSX 10.2 with Apache w/PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin (controling MySQL databases) and using FileSharing over OSX for moving files from Dev machine to this maching.

(remote) Athlon 1700xp Rack server running RedHat Linux 7.3, Apache, MySQL, etc... This is my server for all my live sites. its being hosted on a 10mbit pipe at a datacenter..

This setup works seamlessly with the Macromedia products. One server for deveopment one for hosting one machine for design and layout and coding.

Any way you go I would stay with a mac. Doing PHP work on a PC is a bitch.. With OSX you can install Apache/MySQL/PHP locally if you wanted to for testing or whatever.

Good luck
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

Forum Links
Forum Rules