Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17in and Internet Connection

17in and Internet Connection
TheaterCub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 01:01 AM

Question:

JUST booted up my PB17 and being that I am in my house (i am typing this on a pc) and am moving to an apt, I didnt have it hooked up to the net yet so I couldnt register and stuff. I've tried numerous things with the cable modem I have here, taking the jack out of the pc and into the PB but it's not recognizing it (fooled with the DCHP and IP and stuff but to no avail)--i just cant get a net connection. I assume that when i move to NYC next week, the cable modem guy will be able to help with that since i'll be getting a fresh connection, but for now, how do I configure the cable modem in my house to work with my mac? The instruction manual doesnt really help me....

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by TheaterCub:
Question:

JUST booted up my PB17 and being that I am in my house (i am typing this on a pc) and am moving to an apt, I didnt have it hooked up to the net yet so I couldnt register and stuff. I've tried numerous things with the cable modem I have here, taking the jack out of the pc and into the PB but it's not recognizing it (fooled with the DCHP and IP and stuff but to no avail)--i just cant get a net connection. I assume that when i move to NYC next week, the cable modem guy will be able to help with that since i'll be getting a fresh connection, but for now, how do I configure the cable modem in my house to work with my mac? The instruction manual doesnt really help me....
If your Cable modem is a DHCP Router, the simplest thing to do is to open up System Preferences, Select Internet, Then make sure it is set to Automatic in the Location Box. In the Show Box, select Network Port Configurations. Click and drag Built-in Ethernet to the top. After you do this select Built-in Ethernet Port in the "Show" Box. (This will ensure that your PB checks this first for the TCP/IP connection. If you want to, uncheck the boxes for the others, so there is no chance for interference.)

Next Select the TCP/IP tab and in the configure box choose "Using DHCP"

Select Apply Now, and your ready to try it again.

If your Cable Modem is not a DHCP router than in the configure box choose "manual" and copy the information from your PC for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Info(Cable Modem.)

TheaterCub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
If your Cable modem is a DHCP Router, the simplest thing to do is to open up System Preferences, Select Internet, Then make sure it is set to Automatic in the Location Box. In the Show Box, select Network Port Configurations. Click and drag Built-in Ethernet to the top. After you do this select Built-in Ethernet Port in the "Show" Box. (This will ensure that your PB checks this first for the TCP/IP connection. If you want to, uncheck the boxes for the others, so there is no chance for interference.)

Next Select the TCP/IP tab and in the configure box choose "Using DHCP"

Select Apply Now, and your ready to try it again.

If your Cable Modem is not a DHCP router than in the configure box choose "manual" and copy the information from your PC for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Info(Cable Modem.)
Tried it--there it no "router" for the pc only an IP and submask. Now what? Thanks btw

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2003, 01:43 AM

Tried it--there it no "router" for the pc only an IP and submask. Now what? Thanks btw
Try it with out the Router info and see if that works. I don't have a Cable Modem. Just for your info, I'm using a DSL service so I'm not exactly familiar with the details for your setup.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2003, 01:44 AM

the PC calls router by the name Gateway in most Windows operating systems.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

TheaterCub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
Try it with out the Router info and see if that works. I don't have a Cable Modem. Just for your info, I'm using a DSL service so I'm not exactly familiar with the details for your setup.
Still no--grrrrrrrrrr.........

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2003, 01:58 AM

Still no--grrrrrrrrrr.........
One more thing, all the info you need is on your Windows PC...

If you are using Win98/95 Select the StartMenu/Run and type in WINIPCFG. Hit Enter.

If its WinXP in the Run Box type in COMMAND and you'll open a Dos box. Type IPCONFIG /ALL in the Dos box and you should see the IP configuration screen open up.

All the Addresses and setup is here, you can also see if your Cable Modem is DHCP.

darren h
May 13, 2003, 05:40 AM

I use an ADSL modem connected to a PC, which is networked along with my PB, below is how I got mine to work.

If your PC and PB are networked (ethernet) just make sure the pc has an ip address and subnet mask. Under the network settings on the PB configure manually, give the PB an ip address in the same range i.e 192.68.0.?. Make sure the subnet mask is the same on both, 255.255.255.0 will do, then in the router box add the ip address of the PC. This way the PB will see the PC as a router and access the internet through it. You will probably need to put the DNS server addresses of your isp in as well. Downside is the pc will need to be on and connected when you want to use the net with the PB but it does work

Forum Links
Forum Rules