Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBooks sticky/freezing trackpad button

New MacBooks sticky/freezing trackpad button
PaperNotes
Oct 15, 2008, 12:29 PM

I've used 6 new MacBooks in the Apple Store today and all of them are exhibiting a clumsy trackpad that has either a slow response time to clicks or double clicks or they freeze for a few seconds. Five MacBooks and one MacBook Pro I used are doing the same thing. Very erratic! Even fixing typos in this post has been a chore because of sticking selections and frozen cursor.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:29 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 01:47 PM

Ouch. I wonder how much of this mechanical and how much is software related.

By the sounds of it, it could be a hardware design issue, or else you're just not used to the new trackpad design and ur doin it rong.

PaperNotes  (op)
Oct 16, 2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Ouch. I wonder how much of this mechanical and how much is software related.

By the sounds of it, it could be a hardware design issue, or else you're just not used to the new trackpad design and ur doin it rong.
Seems to be a driver/software issue with the new trackpads for me. It making the cursor sticky and sometimes throws up contextual menus when I'm not clicking on the hot corners. Sometimes text size jumps up and down on a webpage for no apparent reason as if the browser thinks I'm using the trackpad to change text size. Dialog boxes are the main culprit with some OK buttons freezing or needing more clicks. Right now using a white MacBook and no problems.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2008, 12:18 PM

Note that there is already a software/firmware update for the new Macbooks, maybe that's one of the reasons...

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 01:50 PM

bought two from the Apple Store yesterday... both are perfect out of the box... no problems so far. very nice trackpad... nice texture... clicks fine... no freezes or anything.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2008, 02:01 PM

I bought mine yesterday. I'm having the issue with the trackpad resizing the text but i can't for the life of me figure out what trackpad command is supposed to do that.

Aside from that its a beautiful machine. It seems much snappier than my 2.2ghz blackbook which i transferred to the new one (home folder and all that). I'm in love with the backlit keyboard for this macbook, and seems to me to be the perfect replacement for a 12 inch powerbook. I'll have pictures of all 4 of my mac notebooks (from 12 inch PB to current macbook) up soon. I have one from every major revision. i have 4 gigs on the way as 2 won't make me happy in the long term.

The screen is beautiful. Much brighter than previous blackbook which was a good deal brighter than my core duo macbook. The trackpad does take a little getting used to but as i'm learning it, it seems much easier to do what i want to do (like browsing with 3 fingers and only needing one finger to click). Putting it next to the blackbook it makes the blackbook seem cheap, even though thats one of the sturdier macs i've used. It feels solid and light. I just hope this trackpad thing is taken care of soon.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I've used 6 new MacBooks in the Apple Store today and all of them are exhibiting a clumsy trackpad that has either a slow response time to clicks or double clicks or they freeze for a few seconds. Five MacBooks and one MacBook Pro I used are doing the same thing. Very erratic! Even fixing typos in this post has been a chore because of sticking selections and frozen cursor.
It sounds like you're inadvertently touching it with more than one finger.

The fact that you're seeing it on most machines, and nobody else seems to note this in the reviews coming in, makes this seem likely. Also, that you're seeing it primarily on MacBooks and not so much MacBook Pros sounds like some part of your non-mouse hand is inadvertently resting/brushing on the trackpad - on the Pro, your hands are likely to be farther apart.

Is this possible?

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2008, 02:42 PM

I didn't notice a problem with the trackpad. I tried four of the MacBooks at the store here and one MBP. The trackpad has a nice texture and it's nice to do the resizing and rotating objects with two fingers.

Raman
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 09:51 PM

I just picked up a 15" MBP and have no problems with my trackpad. I have most of the options turned on in the trackpad preferences.

It's awesome how you can forget there isn't a button anymore but clicking, dragging, etc works exactly as if there was one

PaperNotes  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It sounds like you're inadvertently touching it with more than one finger.

Is this possible?
No. Even if I inadvertently did touch with more than one finger, that would translate to an action such as scrolling which should freeze the system for a few seconds.

I have been seeing the freezes when using one finger to click dialogue boxes for example. Random text resizing in the browser when I'm using two finger scrolling. I can't figure that one out and have to manually use command + +/- to get the text size back.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 12:19 PM

I noticed it a couple times, seems software related.

Cucumber Jones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 05:00 PM

As for the text jumping up eratically, we found this problem quickly as well. You are inadvertently using two fingers and creating the "pinch" movement (in either direction). This only seems to happen in Safari.

I too am having the erratic mouse movement on my new macbook... pretty frustrating. It "feels" like a software issue (if that makes any sense), but it could be my n00biness with these new trackpads. I hope a patch (software or mental) arrives soon.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 05:33 PM

PaperNotes  (op)
Oct 18, 2008, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cucumber Jones View Post
As for the text jumping up eratically, we found this problem quickly as well. You are inadvertently using two fingers and creating the "pinch" movement (in either direction). This only seems to happen in Safari.

I too am having the erratic mouse movement on my new macbook... pretty frustrating. It "feels" like a software issue (if that makes any sense), but it could be my n00biness with these new trackpads. I hope a patch (software or mental) arrives soon.
Thanks for letting me know it is the pinch movement in Safari that makes the text size jump. It's pretty hard to avoid considering two fingers are moving up and down to scroll and it is impossible to always have the same distance between both digits!

I also notice that sometimes the freezes are not freezes but simply the system not responding to hard clicks of the trackpad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 01:17 PM

I'm running into this problem every 10 minutes of use so there is definitely a serious problem here.

When it happens I am 100% sure I only have one finger on the trackpad and am pushing it hard enough yet nothing happens. sometimes on the 10th click it works.

It happens most when I try to control click on a misspelled word.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2008, 02:40 PM

Have you installed the updates?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 03:50 PM

Have you installed the updates?
There was only 1 as far as I know but yes.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2008, 12:54 AM

Is it normal for the trackpad click to be kind of loud? Not louder than any regular trackpad buttons on PC's, but definitely louder than my old MacBook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 01:03 AM

BTW, unrelated question. How is clicking and dragging?

Let's say you want to drag a file from the top of your screen to the trash.

With a mouse I have the full run of the table, so that's not an issue. With my iBook I click and hold, and then scroll my finger on the trackpad several times to reach the bottom.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2008, 01:47 AM

It's really easy. You just push down on the trackpad and drag to the trash (or wherever). All with only one finger.

PaperNotes  (op)
Oct 19, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
It's really easy. You just push down on the trackpad and drag to the trash (or wherever). All with only one finger.
That's ok if you have soft tapping enabled but clicking down hard with your index finger on the new trackpads ****ing uncomfortable and will give RSI. They are stiff and not responsive (see bug). I still use my thumb along the bottom to click even if the old style trackpad button isn't there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 07:55 AM

ok I understand the new pad is bigger but that much bigger? How about if the file is off screen on an external screen. Wouldn't it take multiple swipes?

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2008, 08:20 AM

Hmm, maybe, but I don't think it'd be any more of a hassle than with a regular trackpad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hmm, maybe, but I don't think it'd be any more of a hassle than with a regular trackpad.
Well, with a regular pad I hold the button down and swipe the trackpad several times. My swiping finger will come off the trackpad but my button-holding thumb does not. I'm trying to envision how to do this when the trackpad is the button.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 01:59 PM

BTW, unrelated question. How is clicking and dragging?

Let's say you want to drag a file from the top of your screen to the trash.

With a mouse I have the full run of the table, so that's not an issue. With my iBook I click and hold, and then scroll my finger on the trackpad several times to reach the bottom.
Honestly you can use this trackpad without even knowing it is different than the old ones. The texture is the same and I still rest my thumb on the bottom to click.

This is the last thing anyone needs to worry about.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 10:09 PM

If it makes you guys feel any better, I just tried out my WhiteBook... and it has a mushy hard to press trackpad button too. However, mine is a mechanical issue. So, I'll have to get it replaced/repaired. None of my previous iBooks or my previous MacBook had this problem.

PaperNotes  (op)
Oct 20, 2008, 05:08 AM

If it makes you guys feel any better, I just tried out my WhiteBook... and it has a mushy hard to press trackpad button too..
The new MacBooks actually don't respond to hard clicks at all sometimes and it really looks like a software issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules