Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting 6100 to New Laser Printer

Connecting 6100 to New Laser Printer
glennmac
Jan 3, 2002, 01:55 AM

I'm looking to get a new laser printer. All the ones in my desired price range seem to come only with USB and parallel ports--no ethernet ports. I'd like to hook up my old 6100 in addition to my new TiBook. The 6100 only has a Localtalk port and a SCSI port. How do I connect Localtalk/SCSI to USB/parallel?

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: glennmac ]

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2002, 10:55 AM

Well let's assume you get a USB printer.

AAUI-15 Port on the 6100 (need a transceiver) with a straight through ethernet cable to a hub or router.* Then connect the Powerbook to the hub/router as well and the printer to the USB port on the back.
Turn on USB printer sharing and thats really it.

*(Now I am not sure if it would work with a direct ethernet connection to the Ti Powerbook, but you can try or look it up on Apple)

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

glennmac  (op)
Jan 3, 2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
<STRONG>Well let's assume you get a USB printer.

AAUI-15 Port on the 6100 (need a transceiver) with a straight through ethernet cable to a hub or router.* Then connect the Powerbook to the hub/router as well and the printer to the USB port on the back.

*(Now I am not sure if it would work with a direct ethernet connection to the Ti Powerbook, but you can try or look it up on Apple)</STRONG>

Captain,

I need a solution that will work when the Powerbook is not there. Just the 6100 and the printer. Yes, the 6100 has an AAUI ethernet port in addition to the SCSI and Localtalk ports. I havent found any sort of "hub" that can connect ethernet to usb.

retroneo
Jan 3, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
<STRONG>Then connect the Powerbook to the hub/router as well and the printer to the USB port on the back.

*(Now I am not sure if it would work with a direct ethernet connection to the Ti Powerbook, but you can try or look it up on Apple)</STRONG>
You don't need a hub or a crossover cable, th new machines including the PowerBook Ti automatically crossover when needed, so you can use any ethernet cableinto the AAUI tranceiver into the 6100. You must run Mac OS 9.1 on the 6100 though for USB Print Sharing. I am not sure if the extensions will be installed automatically by the installer either, may have to extract them with TomeViewer, but try it anyway...

You won't be able to print when the powerbook is not there via this solution. Instead, you need to look at PowerPrint to connect the printer via parallel through the serial port of the 6100.

glennmac  (op)
Jan 4, 2002, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by retroneo:
<STRONG>

You don't need a hub or a crossover cable, th new machines including the PowerBook Ti automatically crossover when needed, so you can use any ethernet cableinto the AAUI tranceiver into the 6100. You must run Mac OS 9.1 on the 6100 though for USB Print Sharing. I am not sure if the extensions will be installed automatically by the installer either, may have to extract them with TomeViewer, but try it anyway...

You won't be able to print when the powerbook is not there via this solution. Instead, you need to look at PowerPrint to connect the printer via parallel through the serial port of the 6100.</STRONG>
oldnew,

Thanks. I recently bought Powerprint Mobile, which comes with a usb-parallel cable. Just emailed them to ask whether that software will work with their serial-parallel cable. I'm running something like 7.6 on the 6100. (It's been dormant for 5 years while I have been working in PC hell.) Maybe I'll try installing the 9+ that cam e with my new Tibook.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by glennmac:
<STRONG>
Maybe I'll try installing the 9+ that cam e with my new Tibook.</STRONG>
Don't even bother trying it wont work. All new system discs are made so that they only can be loaded onto the machine they came from. So a system disc from a Dual USB iBook on a TiBook and so on.....

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2002, 04:51 AM

Instead of purchasing a new printer, get an older laserwriter that has ethernet on it and then use an ethernet solution. Or rather, spend the money and get a small laser printer that has ethernet and Mac drivers and save the cost and frustration of adapting, and bending data accross multiple Macs and protocols. I have a LaserWriter IIg, and it was the best used purchase I ever made, and it has made my life a whole lot simpler in connecting to various hardware of varying ages.

Forum Links
Forum Rules