Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing external modem

Installing external modem
gepepa
May 10, 2002, 01:25 PM

Hello out there...I know I should know this, but if I install an external Global Village modem in my son's Performa, must I first extract the built-in 28k? thanks for any help.
live as if you will die tommorrow...learn as if you will live forever.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 05:05 AM

Yes, you must remove the internal modem from the Performa. End of story.

CommSlot and CommSlot II modem cards actually deactivate the modem serial port. As such the port is plugged at the factory when a modem is in the computer. When you remove the modem, you should then remove the plug. The port will be immediatly available to you once the card is removed. This does not necessarily mean that you won't have modem software problems or conflicts as you setup your new modem.

Ironically, CommSlot (II) Ethernet cards do not deactivate the modem serial port. Which is a good thing and was far thinking on the part of Apple at the time they designed the CommSlot. It makes performas great dialup routers since they can have a high quality external modem and the ethernet port to distribute data to a network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules