Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Soundsticks

Soundsticks
xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2001, 12:21 PM

I am thinking of buying Soundsticks for my iMac. Are they worth the money and how good do they sound?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2001, 12:24 PM

I have had mine a couple weeks and love them. Apart from looking REALLY cool, they have a great sound to them. However, if you're looking for window-rattling bass, you will be disappointed with these. Anything below a hearling loss causing volume though, they are fantastic. You pay a bit of a premium for design, but IMO they're worth it.

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 17, 2001, 09:43 PM

I wasn't too impressed. They lack bass, even with the iSub. So if you turn the volume up, they distort and sound like crap. Blech. No thanks.

- Ca$h

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 05:23 AM

I am thinking about getting an iSub with my new iMac....would the iSub with the speakers on the iMac be ok?

------------------
i Think, therefore iMac
i Think, therefore iMac.

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 02:36 PM

I want the soundsticks because there is a problem with sound in and the headphone slots. When I put in speakers with subwoofers (I tried with different speaker systems), the computer doesn't send most of the bass to the subwoofer. It sends it to the speakers itself so it sounds really bad. Since the soundsticks are USB, I wont have that problem. Also, is it true that the iSub for the iMac is better than the iSub with the Sounsticks?

GraphiteBoi, I think the iSub would sound good with the iMac speakers.

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 18, 2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
I want the soundsticks because there is a problem with sound in and the headphone slots. When I put in speakers with subwoofers (I tried with different speaker systems), the computer doesn't send most of the bass to the subwoofer. It sends it to the speakers itself so it sounds really bad. Since the soundsticks are USB, I wont have that problem. Also, is it true that the iSub for the iMac is better than the iSub with the Sounsticks?

GraphiteBoi, I think the iSub would sound good with the iMac speakers.
What the heck did you try? A 10 dollar K mart Special computer speaker setup? Go to compusa, and snag a pair of 40-100 dollar Boston Acoustics or something. They'll anally rape any of apple's speakers any day of the week.

- Ca$h

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 07:45 PM

I have had my SoundSticks for a couple of weeks now, and am very pleased with them.

The bass isn't as loud as some systems, but then the equalizer settings I use with SoundJam sound great, and I have no complaints.

They do look cool to, I think all my friends are envious of them.

------------------
Adam Skelton
------
Check out my new website...
www.toiletmaster.com
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 07:53 AM

Read the reviews section here at MacNN. The same people who thought the iSub rocked, thought the SoundSticks iSub sucked

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 02:04 PM

http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/isub/isub.shtml
http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/mws...speakers.phtml
http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/pro...speakers.phtml

The subwoofer with the SoundSticks (it's *not* called an iSub) is *not* the same as the iSub. SoundSticks are a good set up (not great), but they're pricey... the bass is lacking somewhat. As for Cash's comment that they distort... I've only heard very slight distortion when the volume's been maxed out, which is pretty impressive considering most speakers will happily masacre music when cranked all the way.

blorntso
Mar 19, 2001, 03:39 PM

Anyone notice that Ca$h is an ass? His posts are always negative and insulting. I say flame him.

Mr.Sparkle
Mar 19, 2001, 04:23 PM

I do not think flaming is in order (it never solves anything and now you have two angry people instead of one), but I do respectfully ask Ca$h to choose his/her words more carefully. This is a public forum, and some of us are reading it from behind closely-watched corporate firewalls; I just got a questionable look from my boss (who happened to be reading over my shoulder as he walked by). Please try to be a little more circumspect with the imagery in the future.

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 04:58 PM

I've had my SoundSticks since last Nov. Love them. Damn expensive but now my Mac setup is complete and it looks frickin nice.

I have only heard distortion on one or two poorly recorded mp3s or on some shockwave movies, but this is due to the recording and not the Sticks.

Playing Quake 3 with the Sub roaring and the sticks all the way up is really nice, might not be the most powerful speaker set you can get but I cant fault them at all.
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 05:06 PM

Anyone notice that anyone who insults me are unregistered pussies? Their posts are always negative and insulting. I say f them, and get a backbone and post under your real name chickensh*ts.....

And oh no. Please don't flame me. The opinions of dickless unregistered posters mean the world to me, and an insult from a member of your stature would destroy me. Please, I beg for mercy, don't flame me. I shudder at the mere thought. WAAHHHHH!

Moron

- Ca$h

PS: Sorry, I just really can't see the price justified for the soundsticks after hearing them. You can get about the same sound outta a 40 dollar set of reg computer speakers. :|

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2001, 05:41 PM

Wow, all this bickering. I'm not taking any sides. But Mr Sparkle, I think its the fact that you were just online in any forum and not working that angered your boss, not the language used. I don't know.

I personally think I'm gonna spring for the Monsoon IM-700s. They have pumpin' bass and beautiful 3d simulation for about 50 bucks less than the best SoundSticks price. Give me the Monsoons in the Soundsticks enclosure. Although I saw these Monsoons online for about 90-100 bucks like 3 months ago and now they're around $1200-130 everywhere. What's the deal with that? Too much demand, I think.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

zorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2001, 07:37 PM

I bought my SoundSticks for my iBook about four weeks ago. And I too love them. Incredible sound. Sure they don't a powerful bass sound, but then again, most music is mixed for an even bass sound, not a rattle-the-screws-in-your-head bass. In otherwords, I believe the SoundSticks provide a very accurate reproduction of sound. Compared to everything else I've heard, the highs and mid sounds are stunning. And Ilisten to a wide variety of music.
FYI: I bought these for their sound, their design, and their USB connectivity (I use the iBook for a DVD player to a projector, so the USB is essential!)
I also have an iSub for my iMac. With the price of the iSub, I would highly recommend one. I don't find the sound on the iMac (with iSub) as good as the sound on theiBook (with SoundSticks), but still so necessary for games and music.
Yes, a bit pricey. But the quality is there, if you have ears to hear!!

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 08:59 PM

I've had mine SoundSticks for about a month now and I freakin' love them! Although they were a bit pricey and I haven't listened to many other computer speakers, I am very happy with them. now if we could only get an equalizer for iTunes (I know...be patient).
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Mr.Sparkle
Mar 19, 2001, 09:19 PM

believe it or not, I'm lucky enough to have a job where checking the forums is actually a part of my duties (tech support).

So Ca$s, since you obviously feel a bit strongly on the subject :-], any specific recommendations for inexpensive (<$200) speakers for the Mac?

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by zorg:
I bought my SoundSticks for my iBook about four weeks ago. And I too love them. Incredible sound. Sure they don't a powerful bass sound, but then again, most music is mixed for an even bass sound, not a rattle-the-screws-in-your-head bass. In otherwords, I believe the SoundSticks provide a very accurate reproduction of sound. Compared to everything else I've heard, the highs and mid sounds are stunning. And Ilisten to a wide variety of music.
FYI: I bought these for their sound, their design, and their USB connectivity (I use the iBook for a DVD player to a projector, so the USB is essential!)
I also have an iSub for my iMac. With the price of the iSub, I would highly recommend one. I don't find the sound on the iMac (with iSub) as good as the sound on theiBook (with SoundSticks), but still so necessary for games and music.
Yes, a bit pricey. But the quality is there, if you have ears to hear!!

Sorry, bass is JUST as important as clear mids and highs. And the fact that you watch DVDs with soundsticks just makes me wince. :|
The truth is, almost ANY small speaker will sound crisp and clear on the highs. This means that the soundsticks arent' GOOD speakers. They're just small, hence the reasoning for being able to create accurate highs and mids. Need bass though. And need speakers that don't distort.

Its simple really.

If function follows form (aka you're a poser), get the soundsticks

If you want good sounding speakers, get something else, save a lot of money.

- Ca$h

gorefan68
Banned
Mar 19, 2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle:
believe it or not, I'm lucky enough to have a job where checking the forums is actually a part of my duties (tech support).

So Ca$s, since you obviously feel a bit strongly on the subject :-], any specific recommendations for inexpensive (<$200) speakers for the Mac?
If you want sound equatable to soundsticks, go grab some 60-100 dollar boston acoustics speakers. If you want some nice sounding speakers, those monsoons should be pretty good (with the fabric flat panels). If you want AWESOME speakers, I saw some THX certified Computer speakers in PC GAMER. They're called Outlaws or something.

- Ca$h

zorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2001, 10:40 PM

Ca$h:If you own a pair of Soundsticks, take them back. Yours must be defective! If you don't own a pair, and simply heard them in the store, then check them out again, because they aren't what you say they are. Mine have an strong even bass and they don't distort!!

xyber233: I recommend you go to a store with Soundsticks, Boston Acoustics, Monsoons, etc., find a quiet place, plug them into an iMac and compare. In the end, it is your ears that are the true judge, not the opinions of posers or buffalo.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2001, 11:18 PM

*COUGH* Klipsch promedia 2.1 CREAM any other 2.1 system for 200 bucks *COUGH*

Forum Links
Forum Rules