Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time machine and hard drive failure

Time machine and hard drive failure
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 AM

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I did do a search.

Is TM a complete hard drive backup? If my main hard drive fails, will I be able to restore everything?

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 11:54 AM

That depends on what you tell it to backup. But yeah, if you backup your entire Macintosh HD you will be able to restore your system through Time Machine by booting off the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 12:19 PM

I had planned on telling it to backup my entire drive. How will booting off the Leopard install DVD help? Is there a 'Restore Entire Contents' button in TM? I have a 750 GB back up drive so space is not an issue.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 12:25 PM

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Time Machine

"… select “Restore System from Time Machine” in the Leopard DVD Utilities menu. …"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 12:27 PM

Anatomy of a backup.
For the initial backup, Time Machine copies the entire contents of the computer to your backup drive. It copies every file exactly (without compression), skipping caches and other files that aren’t required to restore your Mac to its original state. Following the initial backup, Time Machine makes only incremental backups — copying just the files that have changed since the previous backup. Time Machine creates links to any unchanged files, so when you travel back in time you see the entire contents of your Mac on a given day.

Migration with style.
To make setting up a new Mac even simpler, Time Machine shares its data with other Mac utilities. Use Migration Assistant to copy portions of any Time Machine backup to a new Mac, or select “Restore System from Time Machine” in the Leopard DVD Utilities menu. Choose any date recorded in Time Machine to set up your new Mac exactly as your previous Mac was on that date.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 25, 2007, 12:29 PM

If your HD fails, your Mac wont boot, so you'd put a new HD in your Mac, boot from the OS X system disk and then clone your TM external HD to your new internal HD.

Of course in a pinch you could just boot from the external by holding the alt key upon startup and selecting the external drive.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Time Machine

"… select “Restore System from Time Machine” in the Leopard DVD Utilities menu. …"
Perfect. Thank you!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Of course in a pinch you could just boot from the external by holding the alt key upon startup and selecting the external drive.
That isn't an option with a Time Machine backup. Time Machine backups are stored in a folder on the designated volume. Mac OS X doesn't work if it's stuck inside a folder.
Vandelay Industries

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I had planned on telling it to backup my entire drive. How will booting off the Leopard install DVD help? Is there a 'Restore Entire Contents' button in TM? I have a 750 GB back up drive so space is not an issue.
The Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD will allow you to restore everything back to a new HD.

Obviously your old Mac OS X Leopard installation won't be of much use as your HD failed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules