Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Swaive debuts Bluetooth-connected ear thermometer for iOS

Swaive debuts Bluetooth-connected ear thermometer for iOS
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 17, 2014, 01:35 PM

Swaive Corporation today announced that it has developed the Swaive Thermometer, an "intelligent" Bluetooth-connected ear thermometer. The unit communicates with an iPhone and iPad app that analyzes temperatures, and provides vital information to monitor the health of the family, as well as syncing with Apple's HealthKit. All readings can be instantly shared with physicians, nurses, parents, caretakers, and spouses allowing remote monitoring of critical trends.

The Swaive Thermometer automatically connects to iPhones and iPads using Bluetooth to track and monitor an individual's temperature reading in their unique profile. Temperature readings are automatically displayed and logged using the free Swaive Thermometer app to time stamp each temperature reading, and to chart trends against the normal temperature range for each user's age.

A digital display on the thermometer gives an immediate reading for the user, in addition to relaying the information to the app. The device is accurate to within 0.01C, when used properly. Information is viewable on the linked iPod, iPad, or online to allowed users.

The Swaive Thermometer is compatible with the iPhone 4S and newer, or the iPad 3 and more recent. A pre-order for the device is underway through the company's website for $80, and is expected to be available in mid-November.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 22, 2014 at 03:08 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2014, 03:15 PM

O.01 C accuracy is a bit beyond what matters. The brand of diaper a child is wearing will probably make a greater difference than that. Years ago, I worked nights in a hospital caring for sick kids. What matters more than that accuracy is how quickly it can calculate a reading. Do that quickly (their website says "instantly") and a child won't wake up. I also hope low-temperature alarms can be set. Some kids kick off their blankets and get colder than they ought on winter nights. And finally, unless your last name is Gates or Jobs, that temperature sharing isn't going to be popular with physicians. They don't want to be awakened at 3 am only to be told that "Yes, little Johnny's temperature is now down to 99 F."
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 17, 2014, 03:27 PM

I was super-skeptical about the accuracy, so I asked. They confirmed to a hundredth of a degree.

Just the same, as a parent, that kind of accuracy makes little sense to me.

robban
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2014, 04:17 PM

It's the final days for Facebook, as people start to collect such bio-data that's where the superfluous crap will end up...

Forum Links
Forum Rules