Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > *Need help getting some files back!* Mac still boots up! OS 7

*Need help getting some files back!* Mac still boots up! OS 7
BiGGie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 02:18 AM

Hello everyone! first post, well I have a old mac, its a Mac Performa 6360 Power PC ... yah I know it was my first mac! Well I remember long time ago when I was using it that I some how got a hold of this program that would hidde files/folders what ever I wanted. Then one of my kids deleted the icon and well now I have no idea how to does files BACK! ... I can still boot up, I go to SEARCH it finds the files, but they can not be open. It saids there being hidden or something like that. Im not a PC guy and I really want to get back into the Mac world.

Is there a way maybe that I can get the files back? Maybe take the harddrive out and put it in a pc and then see if the pc can see it and maybe browse from there to get does files back? Please help!

Thank You.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2004, 06:37 AM

It has been awhile since I have had to deal with such an issue. But as long as you can locate the invisible files, I would suggest downloading ResEdit. You should be able to launch ResEdit, choose Get Info... and find the invisible files(s). Then there should be a visibility check box. There are other utilities that can do it, but ResEdit should work just fine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BiGGie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 01:33 AM

I had no luck with the software, what I did, since I dont' have another mac, was I downloaded that software with my PC, transfer that to a floopy and trying to run it, but when I tried to open the file it said it could not find the application program ... blahblabha... what could I do?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2004, 02:57 PM

It's compressed; if you don't have Stuffit Expander you won't be able to use it. Unfortunately, you really won't be able to use anything located online until you get a version of Stuffit old enough to run on OS 7. Here's a different idea: If you can find another Mac that has the appropriate software installed, copy the invisible files to it and make them visible there. Then copy them back. Alternatively, someone could download and expand ResEdit and then send it to you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules