Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Installation over OS X

OS 9 Installation over OS X
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 19, 2004, 04:20 AM

It's been quite some time since I've installed OS 9.2. Do I choose the option for a clean install, over OS X? That just makes a new OS 9 folder, and doesn't delete my OS X files right?

I'm cloning my drive first just in case, but I thought I'd ask.

BTW, the only reason I'm doing this is to flash my DVD-ROM drive. I have no other use for OS 9 whatsoever.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2004, 05:16 AM

Sounds fine to me, Eug, but a backup is always good just in case.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2004, 01:10 PM

I think you have to install OS9 FIRST. I don't think OS9 will let you install on a partition that already has OSX.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2004, 06:25 PM

You may want to check out this old thread on the subject from OS X Forum. It would actually be easier to drag and drop a valid System Folder to your OS X drive, but I also think OS 9 should install without touching OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduser63
Jan 7, 2005, 04:14 AM

You can certainly install OS 9 alongside an existing OS X installation without damaging the OS X install, because I've done it within the last few months. I seem to remember choosing the clean install option when I did it. The machine it was done on works fine both in Classic, and when actually booting into OS 9.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules