Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > silencing the chime in 9

silencing the chime in 9
MAC365
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 10:40 AM

Anyone know how?

I've heard this is possible but can't find anything. It would be great if the startup chime was not dependant on the system volume. It is Very loud if you forget to turn the volume down before shutdown on the powermac g4. I know it shows that the mac is working ok at startup and I dont mind as long as its quiet, but I find it irritating on a computer that does not have a seperate on/off or volume switch to control the speaker. I would rather just get rid of it. thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 08:04 PM

You can't do it. Your only choices are to keep the volume low or connect headphones to silence the speaker(s).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 11:16 PM

There are some things you can change in the "Sound" Control Panel (Control Panels under the Apple Menu), but I don't know if changes there would affect the startup chime. Maybe you can change the sound to another that is not so loud or intrusive.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 08:29 AM

IIRC, you can put an AppleScript in the Shutdown folder to lower the volume. You can put a similar AppleScript in the Startup folder to bring the volume back up. In between, the startup chime will play at the volume you set in the Shutdown folder Applescript.

mdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 09:21 AM

...there was a little extension called something like silentboot or quietboot you could shove in there. It was a freebie type thing.

silentboot quiet boot something like that. They said to plop it into your startup folder and it worked on some macs, but not others. Worth a look.

Sorry i can't remember the actual name though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules