Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Let's kick this thing off: What to do with a Ruby iMac?

Let's kick this thing off: What to do with a Ruby iMac?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2013, 10:50 AM

My parents gave me the Ruby iMac DV that I bought brand new when I was in high school. In time, I upgraded it to 512+ MB of RAM and Jaguar. Now it sits in my basement.

Any ideas on what to do with it? It's in perfect shape and works exactly like it should. I already have a Mini as my media server, it's not really fast enough to be an internet station. Maybe a rec-area jukebox? Rip the guts out and install a mini-itx motherboard, Core i7, and 15" Dell LCD?

Something else?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2013, 11:24 AM

Fish tank? Not as awesome as the classic mac tanks though.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

GPS for one of your bikes? It would be like fairing.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Fish tank? Not as awesome as the classic mac tanks though.
Had a couple Classic fish tanks. Pretty sure Mom and Dad tossed those years ago.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2013, 12:33 PM

Dug around and found the thread from 2002 where I posted pics of my Classic MacQuarium, but whatever domain I used to host the images is long gone.

http://forums.macnn.com/73/hardware-...my-macquarium/

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 07:33 PM

Depending on how the internals are doing, put OS 9 on it and use it as a machine to play old games, mess around with old Mac apps, and play music. You won't do a whole lot of browsing though - Classilla is still pretty unstable with more than a couple tabs open. It should be fine for MP3s, though.

If you're more into the design of the case than the internals, I'd say gut it and turn it into a modern machine with a small board. Put several hard drives in it and turn it into a server for backing up your stuff, or if you're interested in learning more geeky stuff (web dev, server admin, etc.), put Linux on it and go to town.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
(…) put OS 9 on it and use it as a machine to play old games, mess around with old Mac apps, and play music. (…)
Also, make it the cutest PSX ever by running Connectix Virtual Game Station on it.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2013, 11:27 AM

good idea angel. i also use my g3 in 9 for a couple of accounting programs but i don't think anyone is going to hold their breath for those. my g3 is also the only computer i have hooked up to a printer and i use appleworks to print letters. (only about 6 per year) now i've got to investigate some playstation 1 games.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2013, 12:12 PM

One advice; do not convert it into a fish tank or something like that. Original iMacs are/will be collector´s items by now/in a few years...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2013, 02:02 PM

in addition, your ruby imac was made when cd was king and there are a ton of specialty encyclopedia cd-rom titles out there that go for a fraction of the cost when they were new.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2013, 03:43 PM

Yeah, and how many of those still have the Berlin Wall?

Incidentally, we played Sim Cinema last night on my new IIci. It was pretty awesome to see who the expensive actors/actresses and directors were in the early 90s.

Will Smith was on the cheap end; Jim Carey was at the very top. The actress list actually included Helen Hunt, and James Cameron was as expensive as Steven Spielberg.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules