Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Few weird OS 9.2.2 quirks on upgraded DA G4

Few weird OS 9.2.2 quirks on upgraded DA G4
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2015, 11:39 AM

I have a Digital Audio G4 with a Sonnet Crescendo CPU upgrade (1.7GHz), 1.5GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Edition video card.

I couldn't get 9.2 to work for the longest time on this thing - 9.1 ran fine, but as soon as I upgraded to 9.2, the machine would lock up right before loading the desktop.

Removing the Multiprocessor folder from the System folder fixed this. However, I can't put the machine to sleep. The error I get is:

Your computer can't sleep because some system software is missing. Reinstall the software that came with your computer.
It's not a huge deal, and if the tradeoff for getting 9.2 to work is that I'll lose sleep capability, I'll live. I'd like to get it working if I can, though.

Secondly, the internal speaker doesn't work in OS 9.2. It was working in 9.1, and it works before 9.2 boots (e.g. there's a boot chime). I hooked up a USB speaker in the meantime, and it works fine.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 13, 2015, 12:31 PM

Wowzers. This is some old stuff I've got to pull out of my head. I'll get back to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules