Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PRAM battery change for iMac G3 DV400 SE

PRAM battery change for iMac G3 DV400 SE
CaptainKirk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2016, 12:47 PM

Hello

I need to change the PRAM battery of my iMac G3 DV400 SE as it hasn't been starting up for a few weeks now. I am posting here to get some safety advise, both to avoid electrocution myself and to avoid damaging the electronics. Please bear in mind I am a complete novice and a lay person. I have located the battery behind the RAM and Airport Card hatch - and I intend to change the battery through here rather than take apart the entire bottom half of the machine. Anyway, I have kept it unplugged for a few weeks. Now, do I need to get anti static gloves/ wrist strap, mat, etc? What tools do I need - for example tongs to pull out the battery or is it safe to just do it with bare hands? And how about clothing and shoe wear? Is a bed in a carpeted room OK? Or what sort of environment should I do this in? For that matter, should I do this myself or should it be handled by professionals?

Thank you.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 21, 2016, 03:07 PM

As iMac repairs go, this is an easy one, but I do strongly recommend you do it by taking off the bottom case. Yeah, there's some hairy screws in there, but they're all Philips head, and a magnetized screwdriver will do you just fine. The high-voltage stuff is on the other side of the case, as long as you don't decide to go crazy and touch anything you don't want to touch.

It is safe to do it with bare hands, if you take the case off.

andi*pandi
Feb 22, 2016, 05:56 PM

I have done pram batteries. I had a wrist strap, used a dining table on a non-carpeted floor.

Have a dish handy for the screws so you don't lose em, and good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules