Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBook 500 Series Hard Drives

PowerBook 500 Series Hard Drives
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2016, 04:20 AM

I've got a hard drive pulled out of my old PowerBook 540c. I know it's a SCSI drive, but I don't know what kind of SCSI. It appears to have 40 pins plus some extra, for power or jumpers?

I'm hoping someone knows what kind of SCSI this is, and thus what kind of adapter I'll need to convert this to something more standard. I have a USB SCSI adapter that has a chain of adapters that can convert to many common kinds of SCSI, ending at a standard 50 pin connector. Given that I must need a board with power built in, like 2.5" IDE converter boards had, I don't have high hopes that such a thing even exists. But maybe I'll get lucky?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 10, 2016, 08:05 AM

That's a standard 2.5-inch SCSI drive. Not common, but not unique either.

2.5" Laptop SCSI Hard Drive Adapter

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2016, 01:32 PM

So the adapter in the link says it's a 54 pin to 50 pin scsi adapter. But These powerbook drives have 40 pins if you only count the data pins, or 48 pins if you count them all. You would at least get 50 pins if you pretended the gap between the two banks of pins was pinned itself, but I can't see getting any more than that. Theres one on ebay that looks the same, but calls itself a 50 pin adapter. And it has the power input lead too. Still not sure if either are right.

2 5" Laptop 50 Pin w Molex Power Cable to SCSI Hard Drive Adapter CablesOnline | eBay

Forum Links
Forum Rules