Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pismo PowerBook G3 with mSATA SSD in IDE adapter - can't resume from sleep

Pismo PowerBook G3 with mSATA SSD in IDE adapter - can't resume from sleep
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2020, 07:14 PM

I have a 400MHz Pismo PowerBook, and i just upgraded the aging HDD to a new 128GB mSATA SSD and accompanying IDE adapter. Install went relatively smoothly, but I've discovered sleep doesn't work properly. The machine goes to sleep, but upon waking from sleep, all I get is the dithered gray-brown screen typically seen at the happy Mac boot screen and the background OS 9 displays before loading your user profile's wallpaper.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the machine attempting to wake the SSD to access it and load the desktop, but I'm not sure how to investigate or fix it. Ideas appreciated!

Of note: I haven't installed or booted OS X yet, so I don't know if it will wake from sleep properly in OS X. I'm guessing yes, though. My DA PM G4 can't sleep either (seems to be due to the Sonnet CPU card I installed nearly 15 years ago lol I'm old) in OS 9, but OS X works fine.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 12, 2020, 09:41 PM

I have an early SSD that doesn't support wake from sleep in my Mac Pro. OWC had a firmware fix but it required shipping the drive back. In a laptop thats obviously unaceptable.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2020, 10:16 PM

Oh bleah. Do you know if there's any firmware patch in the wild? Is it just a file that has to be present on the drive, or something more complex?

Thanks!

P
May 21, 2020, 04:13 AM

Have you tried using pmset to configure the hibernate mode? If you change it to 0, it should finish waking up without using the drive at all. This has downsides (it will crash if the battery runs out) but it is worth trying for troubleshooting.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2020, 11:27 AM

I have not tried that - got a link on more info or a download? Or is this something done in OF?

Incidentally, I ended up buying an original restore CD on eBay, which was 9.0.4. After restoring that, sleep worked...until I upgraded to 9.2.1. Now I'm back to the Finder crashing when I wake from sleep.

Also - if that's an OS X thing, it might not work. My troubles are in OS 9.

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2020, 12:29 PM

pmset is an OSX Terminal command. But the settings it modifies might carry over to OS 9. For more info, Terminal -> man pmset

You could try stopping at OS 9.1 or try Mac OS 9 Lives! downloads section. For a latest-version OS 9 image (later than retail 9.2.1) that might have later drivers.

It could be a single extension. If you narrowed down which one, you could use 9.2.1 with the extension from 9.0.4 or 9.1.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 24, 2020, 10:12 AM

Oh the memories of binary searching for extension conflicts

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2020, 07:25 PM

Are there any logging tools I can use to see what's barfing when the Finder crashes? That would help narrow it down...

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2020, 03:04 PM

Also...is there any distinct advantage to 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 over 9.0.4 or 9.1.2?

I need MacPerl support, but everything else I do I think is supported across versions of OS 9.

ETA: I'm remembering now that 9.2 was ill-supported on older Macs that officially support OS 9. Sleep works fine in 9.1.2, so I think I'm just going to leave it on 9.1 and be done with it.
( Last edited by shifuimam; May 30, 2020 at 06:05 PM. )

Thorzdad
May 31, 2020, 01:35 PM

If my memory serves (which, at my age, it might not) 9.2.1 was bug fix release, and 9.2.2 was mostly intended to address issues related to Classic Environment under OSX. I know the last OS9 Mac I ever used was updated to 9.2.1 and I don’t recall having any issues with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules