Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need OS9 app to split files

Need OS9 app to split files
Thorzdad
Nov 28, 2004, 11:53 AM

My mom needs to split some vacation movies into smaller individual files, in order to email them (there is an attachment size restriction). She is on an oder Mac running OS9. Is there a utility available for OS9 that can do this? I guess there are plenty of apps for Windows that will do this, but I'm not aware of anything for OS9 that can.

Thanks,
Jim

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 04:05 PM

I forget what version of StuffIt comes with OS 9, but the trail version of StuffIt should let you make multi-part archives. I haven't been on OS 9 in a while, so just download it and try:

www.aladdinsys.com

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 3, 2004, 12:02 AM

Hmmm...Would those necessarily have to be .sit files? She'll be sending these files to a few people on PCs. Ideally, it would be nice for people to be able to re-join the pieces to view the whole thing. I believe there is a Windows app called HJSplit (or something like that) that does all this.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2004, 10:00 AM

You could use QuickTime Pro easily enough; that would be my choice. I wouldn't use iMovie, since it was pretty crappy in OS 9, but it could be done by duplicating the video, cutting, trashing, duplicating again, cutting down again, etc. And there's probably some shareware that can do it, if you seek it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 4, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
You could use QuickTime Pro easily enough; that would be my choice. I wouldn't use iMovie, since it was pretty crappy in OS 9, but it could be done by duplicating the video, cutting, trashing, duplicating again, cutting down again, etc. And there's probably some shareware that can do it, if you seek it.
That's why I'm asking here. I haven't been able to find any shareware that does this easily. Maybe I'm not searching right? The QTpro approach you describe sounds way to complex for my Mom.

rytc
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
That's why I'm asking here. I haven't been able to find any shareware that does this easily. Maybe I'm not searching right? The QTpro approach you describe sounds way to complex for my Mom.
What format is she planning on saving and emailing the movies in? Or is she just dragging the files of off the digital camera (i.e. a still camera used as a moving image camera rather than an actual movie camera)? There are a lot of movie splitting tools on OS X and I'm sure there were a few on OS 9 as well, however, the only time I ever needed to split a file was trying to fit it into some floppies and they were .sit archives. I'd suggest you spend some time on google, something is sure to turn up. Else you may have to show her the Quicktime method - after one demo I'm sure she'd get the hang of it!

Cheers

rytc
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 04:51 PM

Here are a couple of apps

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/12124
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12309

Haven't tried either so can't comment on their use.

Thorzdad  (op)
Dec 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks, rytc.
I'll look into those.

Forum Links
Forum Rules