Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Clamshell iBook screen modification

Clamshell iBook screen modification
desertmac11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2013, 07:45 PM

Shifuimam, I'm a Clamshell user who wanted to change my screen as per your thread from 2006. Went to the iBook Mod site, registered (desertmac11) and couldn't figure out how to post you. My ? is has there been, over the years, a basis consensus on how to put a screen in a Clam? Thanks, and sorry if it was not appropriate to ask here.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2013, 10:28 AM

There's not really a consensus on how to secure a different LCD inside the clamshell's display enclosure. Mine isn't bolted down - it's literally held in just from the pressure of the LCD bezel snapped into the back of the enclosure.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

desertmac11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the get back. Guess I wasn't being clear enough. What I am trying to find out is when I first saw your post from 2006 things were a bit iffy on what worked, etc. You gave a nice list back then and I am wondering after all these years is there a clear cut way from start to finish on how to do the up grade? Meaning the right connecting cord, screen etc., is there step by step installation advice? I've got a dual 900 screen available and found what I think is the right cord online.

Looked at some of your blogs (fat people, etc.,) and went to your photo collection looking for you (prom dress, etc.) Nothing wrong with your smile and you seem pretty together.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 03:52 PM

the main post on the LJ community as well as the first post of the original thread have all the information you need.

This is the post with the details: ibookmod: Upgrading a clamshell iBook to XGA (1024x768) - Open Firmware hack

As long as you have an original clamshell iBook LCD cable with the SMALL WHITE connector on the LCD end (not the wider black connector, which is the more common cable), you're golden. The 12" iBook screen you have will work fine.

Let me know if you have any issues. It's been years since I did the mod, but I'll help if I can!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

desertmac11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules