Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple CD150 / CD300 external CD-ROM standalone music player? (hardware test question)

Apple CD150 / CD300 external CD-ROM standalone music player? (hardware test question)
euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2013, 02:32 PM

I´m looking for a "new" old Apple CD300 or CD150 external CD-ROM drive since the caddy mechanism of mine went south some years ago. I´ve found a decent looking one in the german bay but the sellers asks an initial bid of 25 bucks and gives no guarantee for working condition.
I´ve asked him to do a test and therefore put an audio CD into the drive and connect an earphone to the front analogue out to test if the drive plays music (I know this is not the real deal to fully test such a SCSI drive for functionality, but the guy has no (SCSI) Mac.
This evening he replied that he did the test and there wasn´t any music to hear but he argues that this drive (SONY CDU561-55) needs a connected Mac in order to output music, even when using the analogue port on the front bezel of the drive.

Who is right? Does the SONY CDU561-55 play Audio CDs as a standalone drive or is a connected Mac mandatory?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 08:00 PM

It still has to be connected to a machine in order to instruct the drive to start playing a CD.

TBH I'd recommend buying a replacement SCSI drive to install in your CD300 enclosure. The 12x drive I got was only $15 shipped on eBay, and it has made an ENORMOUS difference in performance on my IIci.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules