Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I feel the earth move...

I feel the earth move...
Thorzdad
Jun 17, 2021, 04:12 PM

We just had a 3.8 earthquake here in Indiana about 50 minutes ago. It was centered just north of Terre Haute, and my upstairs over here in Noblesville shook pretty well.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 17, 2021, 04:30 PM

Heh heh. You should try California. Two years ago, we got the Ridgecrest quakes a couple days apart. 6.4 then 7.1

I was next to a swimming pool for the 7.1 and water was sloshing over the sides. And I'm not near Ridgecrest.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 17, 2021, 05:00 PM

Oh, I know all about California’s quakes. We get quakes here, too, but they’re small like this one, and not nearly as frequent. That said, we’re surfing on the New Madrid and the Wabash Valley seismic zones.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2021, 01:24 AM

Glad it was small!

In the 80s, there was a 5.1 in Lawrenceville that rattled windows all the way up here.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 18, 2021, 07:36 AM

This one hit differently from others I'd experienced. It was like there was this sudden BUMP, and then the rattling. The ones I've experienced before, it was more of a build-up of rattling, not a sudden hit out of nowhere.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2021, 07:41 AM

I was in Indonesia a few years back and sat through a couple. That initial confused floating feeling is certainly something I’ll never forget. One was in the middle of the night in a small wooden hut on stilts in a rice field, which added some exciting elements, and the disconnect between dream and reality was incredibly discombobulating.

In a random side note, love the avatar. Is that a Yammy radio tuner or something? I had a CR-2020 in my room during postgrad and I still regret selling it. There’s something very comforting about those beautiful big knobs and dials. Yamaha recently returned to making this style of receiver and they are absolutely beautiful, albeit fantastically expensive.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 18, 2021, 07:53 AM

It's my 1976 Pioneer SX-650. Bought new. Still works, too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 18, 2021, 08:49 AM

Since we're sharing earthquake stories, I tried to go back and see if I posted about the 2011 Japan quake, but I don't see anything. During the week leading up to the quake I'd look up and see the blinds swaying from side to side. I hadn't been drinking, so I looked around and everyone confirmed that it was normal and happened all the time. I finished up the job and on March 11th just before noon, my plane took off for the US. Three hours later, one of the top 5 largest earthquakes ever recorded hit Japan, killing nearly 20,000 people. I was oblivious on the plane and it wasn't until I landed and got some frantic texts from my wife that I knew anything had happened. I had colleagues that weren't flying out until later that day that ended up getting stuck there and having to sleep in a gymnasium or other temporary housing situations.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2021, 11:21 AM

I’ve been in one quake. It was a 3.something in the late 1970s, with an epicenter somewhere in Indiana I think. It was a beautiful clear day, and my sister and I both felt and heard “thunder.” Weird. The news that evening explained it.

Texas has quakes too. In fact, one of the problems with fracking for shale oil is that it tends to destabilize areas that are prone to tremors anyway, so it’s not particularly surprising that they happen in shale areas. The most recent quake near me was a magnitude 2.7 about 60 miles south of here on July 13. I didn’t notice anything…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2021, 02:17 PM

And however serious this thread is, I’m surprised nobody has chimed in with Carole King:

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2021, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It's my 1976 Pioneer SX-650. Bought new. Still works, too.
Beaut. Pioneer made some absolutely gorgeous receivers as well.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules