Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CCCed iBook G3 HDD to a new SSD, now it can't boot OS 9

CCCed iBook G3 HDD to a new SSD, now it can't boot OS 9
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2020, 02:43 PM

I used the latest Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my iBook's hard drive onto an SSD, which I partitioned in Disk Utility before using as my clone target in CCC.

Everything seems to have gone fine - I booted into OS 9 off the old HDD to bless the system folder, and both OS 9 and OS X (10.4) show up in the OF bootloader.

OS 9, however, boots to a flashing folder icon on a solid gray screen. The folder is definitely blessed, per running bless --info from OS X (which boots fine).

OS 9 from an external disk also boots fine...but oddly, the partitions on the internal drive don't mount. The drive appears, and if I try to initialize it, it shows the old label names for the disks (not what's displayed in OS X, for some reason) when I'm asked to confirm wiping the disk.

What am I missing? I'd really like to avoid flattening the disk, since I just got this thing all set up.

ETA: Ran a disk verify pass in Disk Utility in OS X, and everything's groovy.

ETA 2: So, I think it's most likely because I'm an idiot and forgot I needed to format the disk on an older version of OS X that still allows including OS 9 hard disk drivers when formatting with AFP. The Internet says there isn't a way to install the OS 9 driver after formatting and partitioning...but is this true?
( Last edited by shifuimam; May 29, 2020 at 03:07 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2020, 03:31 PM

Is it formatted to HFS+ UNjournaled?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2020, 04:12 PM

Journaled.

But I'm 99% sure it's because I wiped and partitioned in El Capitan, which means the disk was missing the OS 9 drivers. I'm reimaging it right now from the original HDD after repartitioning in Tiger.

reader50
Administrator
May 29, 2020, 05:55 PM

iPartition could clone the OS9 driver partition across. Though you'd want it in the usual position at the beginning.

That said, I'd reformat and re-clone as the simplest choice.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2020, 07:16 PM

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It runs great now.

At least it was just a simple clone instead of a full reinstall of the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules