Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cellphones to be allowed on aircraft after all...

Cellphones to be allowed on aircraft after all...
Thread Tools
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 07:01 AM
 
Well, apparently the powers that be have decreed that cellphones are not harmful to aircraft operation.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...borne_mobiles/

Ban to be lifted next year in Europe.
     
ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Outfield - #24
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 08:27 AM
 
Damn, that is the one place (an airplane) where I can actually enjoy a few hours without a cell phone going off and be annoying as hell. Oh well!
     
Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 09:06 AM
 
If they are going to allow cellphones on planes they should reintroduce smoking sections on planes. Yes I think people yapping in cellphones are that annoying (second hand smoking isn't carcenogenous according to WHO btw)

perhaps there should be cellphone sections on planes?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 09:17 AM
 
Oh mi god. That's the worst thing that could happen.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seaford, Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 09:19 AM
 
That's discrimination!
     
IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: GR, MI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 09:59 AM
 
Big deal, once you're airborne your cell phone isn't going to be able to connect to any towers. Cell tower signals don't reach that high last I knew.
"This is fun, right?"
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:01 AM
 
Great, what a wonderful idea. Now I'll get to hear everything from Tubular Bells to Play That Funky Music White Boy all performed in MIDI, while insipid morons gab about nothing while I'm trying to catch a few minutes of sleep. I hope this means that parents have yet another excuse not to control their bored children on aircraft. This is the best idea ever! :roll:
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:06 AM
 
It upsets me that people don't now how to be polite.

You can answer your [on vibrate] phone quietly in a discrete way... keeping the conversation short, and I bet few people would be upset.

It's the people that feel they need to offer their conversations to the public that bother me.
     
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Downtown Austin, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:12 AM
 
The real reason cell phone conversations are annoying is because you can't hear the other side of the conversation. Your brain goes crazy.

I guess most people talk loud, too.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:18 AM
 
I think cell phones should be banned from the parking lot. It's amazing how people have to get that last conversation in before their flight leaves.

If phones are not banned, I beg of you cell phone people to realize that you don't need to shout. Why are you people always shouting into your phones?!?!
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by IonCable
Big deal, once you're airborne your cell phone isn't going to be able to connect to any towers. Cell tower signals don't reach that high last I knew.
The airlines will install repeaters in the planes.

I wonder how bad the roaming charges will be?
     
budster101
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:21 AM
 
BECAUSE MOST CELL PHONE AND SERVICES SUCK. QUALITY IS NOT THERE.

Oh, wait, I'm not on my phone right now... it's a habbit.

     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader
I think cell phones should be banned from the parking lot. It's amazing how people have to get that last conversation in before their flight leaves.
Yeah, it's not as if keeping other people up-to-date about your changing flight plans is important at all.

[/sarcasm]
     
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Behind the dryer, looking for a matching sock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
 
One more reason that I carry earplugs with me when flying.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Yeah, it's not as if keeping other people up-to-date about your changing flight plans is important at all.

[/sarcasm]
See that row of phones on the wall to your left? Use those.

Seriously, most of the conversations I overhear, simply because the person is shouting is: "I'M ABOUT TO GET ON THE PLANE RIGHT NOW! HOW ARE YOU DOING? WE ARE GOING TO SEATTLE TO VISIT MY MOTHER! YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH IT COST TO PARK! HAVE YOU SEEN THE BATMAN MOVIE? ... yada yada yada...
     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
One more reason that I carry earplugs with me when flying.
Even better, I carry this:



Originally Posted by Railroader
See that row of phones on the wall to your left? Use those.
Why use a pay phone when you already have a cell phone. And it's not as if people on pay phones are more silent than people on cell phones.
     
budster101
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:33 AM
 
Do they really deaden the outside ambient noise?

How much did you pay for those?
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
And it's not as if people on pay phones are more silent than people on cell phones.
You really think this? Weird.
     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by budster101
Do they really deaden the outside ambient noise?
Yes. They're essentially ear plugs that also can play music. I like them a lot better than the noise-cancellation headphones because:

1) The sound quality is better, at least for the higher-end in-the-ear headphones. I haven't tested the cheaper ones.
2) Noise-cancellation headphones drown out engine noise, but not people talking beside you.
3) In-the-ear headphones are much less bulky. (I don't actually carry the whole shebang shown above. I just carry the iPod mini and the headphones (and a plane plug adapter in case I need it).

How much did you pay for those?
Too much. It was $300 something. There are cheaper versions available now though.
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 10:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by analogika
Well, apparently the powers that be have decreed that cellphones are not harmful to aircraft operation.
Electronics, including cellphones, have never been harmful to aircraft operation, and they know it.

In the U.S., cellphone/radio use is restricted in aircraft by the FCC, not the FAA. That's because a cellphone in flight has the ability to contact dozens of cellphone antennas, causing problems with reception for others.

Originally Posted by IonCable
Big deal, once you're airborne your cell phone isn't going to be able to connect to any towers. Cell tower signals don't reach that high last I knew.
No, in fact they can. Since radio can travel rather far through unobstructed air, an airborne cell phone can contact many cell sites. Perhaps not at 37,000 feet, but certainly anytime they're closer to the ground.


Originally Posted by jamil5454
The real reason cell phone conversations are annoying is because you can't hear the other side of the conversation. Your brain goes crazy.

I guess most people talk loud, too.
I disagree.

Haven't you ever heard people using those darned Nextel push-to-talk walkie-talkie style phones? They're horrible. You DO hear both sides of the conversation, with "bee-beep!" before each person speaks. It's FAR more annoying than any cellphone ever was.

tooki
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by tooki
Haven't you ever heard people using those darned Nextel push-to-talk walkie-talkie style phones? They're horrible. You DO hear both sides of the conversation, with "bee-beep!" before each person speaks. It's FAR more annoying than any cellphone ever was.

tooki
This is HIGHLY annoying. Even way more so than a regular loud cell phone conversation. It's so easy to put the conversation into private mode. And then you simply talk like you are on a regular phone, all you have to do is push the talk button when you want to talk.
     
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seaford, Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:07 AM
 
Why does everyone hate cell phones? What's the difference between a cell phone and hearing people talk to each other?
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Why does everyone hate cell phones? What's the difference between a cell phone and hearing people talk to each other?
BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T YELL IN NORMAL CONVERSATIONS!!!
     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader
You really think this? Weird.
Yes, there are rude people and there are not-so-rude people. People who are loud on a cell phone are also loud on a pay phone.

I agree that a lot of people on cell phones are rude, but many are not. Perhaps a comment by the flight attendants about keeping phone calls short and quiet might help when cell phones are allowed on the plane.

BTW, this will help when the music-playing phones are common. Right now there are phones that allow you to turn off the phone part when playing music, but I'm sure some flight attendants would still ask you to turn off the phone completely.

Originally Posted by Railroader
BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T YELL IN NORMAL CONVERSATIONS!!!
No, just in Mac forums.
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:10 AM
 
Yah well I'm gonna get myself a nextel phone now! Not the small compact ones, no a big radio one.. so I can get on the plane, I'll have the volume up all the way and yell into the speaker all the time like I'm some macho man... Then I'll use it as a weapon to beat up the pansies who attack me
Aloha
     
His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seaford, Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 11:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader
BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T YELL IN NORMAL CONVERSATIONS!!!

I guess I never heard people yell into cell phones.
     
analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 12:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader
BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T YELL IN NORMAL CONVERSATIONS!!!
Actually, the people that talk really loudly on cell phones DO tend to yell a bit in normal conversation.

though bad reception will let cause people to think that talking LOUDER will make them more audible.
     
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 12:34 PM
 
From a thread a while back, I'd just like to point out this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=cell+Ca%24h

"They are being stupid. In the old days, planes had avionics that were extremely sensative to that type of stuff. Today, on any modern airliner, it isn't going to do a damn thing. I always turn my discman on right before takeoff, and stuff it into my bag just to feel like I'm sticking it to them. How does a DISCMAN transmit?! IT DOESNT! They don't ask people to turn off their WATCHES do they? Their pacemakers? They're hearing aids? Etc?!

Its a load of crap, use whatever you want.

- Ca$h"






I was right, and you people who were disagreeing with me (Spheric Harlot, RazaRazor, Link, etc) , are wrong.
     
analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 12:53 PM
 
I used to be spheric harlot, and you may note that i posted this thread regardless.

I was surprised.

Your reaction, however is entirely unsurprising.

You were right for once, but you're still a complete asshole.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 01:37 PM
 
Not to reintroduce the debate of electronics interfering with planes, but I posted in another thread about just that. A flight attendent told me that on multiple occasions the pilot told her that some aspect of the plane's electronics was wrong (cargo door open in flight for example), then after she found a person with their phone on and had them turn it off the cargo door "closed". I can't verify this story, but I don't think she made it up. That being said, devices that don't transmit anything (discman, laptop, etc.) do not mess up anything.

Back on topic, I would like wifi on planes but not cell phones. being between two business types yapping about numbers might be worse than sitting between a quite fat guy.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika
I used to be spheric harlot, and you may note that i posted this thread regardless.

I was surprised.

Your reaction, however is entirely unsurprising.

You were right for once, but you're still a complete asshole.
Oh well. Blatant reasoning and logic mixed in with some common sense do wonders, and when people still disagree, I don't feel like being very nice. That said, I think you're an alright guy. I like your keyboards. How's the coke stained one doing? Keys getting any better?
( Last edited by suvsr4terrorists; Jul 5, 2005 at 03:32 PM. )
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 03:00 PM
 
I think it's funny that you ragged on some guy in another thread for spelling something incorrectly, but just now you spelled "blatant" wrong.


"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2005, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno
I think it's funny that you ragged on some guy in another thread for spelling something incorrectly, but just now you spelled "blatant" wrong.

Thanks. I screwed it up. I don't mind when people correct me, it'll keep me from doing it again.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,