Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Tolkien book: The Children of Húrin

New Tolkien book: The Children of Húrin
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2007, 01:00 PM

... although I guess "new" might be debatable since it's been published before, in condensed form in "The Silmarillion" and in partial form in "Unfinished Tales." Anyway, it's coming out next week:

Amazon.com: The Children of Hurin: Books: J.R.R. Tolkien,Christopher Tolkien,Alan Lee

Based on preorders it's already at No. 24 on Amazon's U.S. bestseller list, but I have a hard time seeing it being a blockbuster ... people who buy it expecting another LOTR are probably going to be disappointed. I'm probably going to pick it up though; it's a good tale. I liked the Silm but the History of Middle-earth series got too academic for me.

Nice that you get color Alan Lee illustrations even in the standard $26 edition.

Anyone else interested in this? So far I can find just one review online, from the Times of London:

What took them so long?-Arts & Entertainment-Books-TimesOnline

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

I've only read LOTR and The Hobbit, but I'll probably check it out from the library when available. If I like it, I'll buy the book. I wasn't aware of The Children of Hurin. Thanks for the heads up.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2007, 01:33 PM

I read the The Silmarillion many years ago. I guess I would need to revisit it, since I hardly remember anything about it. I do remember that I wasn't as excited about it as I was about the LOTR and The Hobbit. I guess you need to be a die hard fan to dig it.

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 02:09 PM

The Silmarillion was an awesome book. A deep read for some, but well worth it.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by CaseCom View Post
... although I guess "new" might be debatable since it's been published before, in condensed form in "The Silmarillion" and in partial form in "Unfinished Tales." Anyway, it's coming out next week:

Amazon.com: The Children of Hurin: Books: J.R.R. Tolkien,Christopher Tolkien,Alan Lee

Based on preorders it's already at No. 24 on Amazon's U.S. bestseller list, but I have a hard time seeing it being a blockbuster ... people who buy it expecting another LOTR are probably going to be disappointed. I'm probably going to pick it up though; it's a good tale. I liked the Silm but the History of Middle-earth series got too academic for me.

Nice that you get color Alan Lee illustrations even in the standard $26 edition.

Anyone else interested in this? So far I can find just one review online, from the Times of London:

What took them so long?-Arts & Entertainment-Books-TimesOnline
In a nutshell, that review typifies all that is wrong with Britain.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 07:17 AM

Ridiculous review.

Comparing LOTR with Ulysses, I mean, come on, that's just retarded.

And what's with all the waffling about Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars and Harry Potter? Tolkien (apart from The Hobbit) didn't write light entertainment for children, the stuff is written for linguists and mythology scholars.

I have both the The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales on my bookshelf, the only thing that seems of interest about this are the illustrations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules