Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Syncing new ringtones on iPhone, wipes out songs/videos?

Syncing new ringtones on iPhone, wipes out songs/videos?
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2009, 09:43 AM

I'm really happy I finally got my new 32Gig iPhone last friday. What an amazing device! Woohoo! But there is something weird I can't figure out. If I try to synch new ringstones, the iPhone wants to wipe all the music and videos??? I can put it all back, but it's a pain in the $%? since I manually put all the stuff in (I have over 50G off music in my iTunes), carefully selecting what I want on the iPhone. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks
deekat

ibook_steve
Aug 3, 2009, 11:15 AM

When you select your device in iTunes, a number of tabs appear with options on how to sych each category of data: music, video, apps, etc. I hope you're not manually dragging and dropping everything on the device to synch, but if you are, the tabs will make life much easier.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2009, 01:40 PM

Well I only manually select the music because I have too much of it, everything else is syhched automatically. I aware of the tabs but even if I try to manually select the ringtones iTunes tells me that all the music will be erased?!? It's very odd.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2009, 03:29 PM

Use playlists and sync those instead.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah. I know I can use the playlist, I don't use playlist very much as I just navigate with the explorer and use the «genre» colonm. I never saw the point of using playlist for an already existing album. playlists make more sense for me when building a special selection of tunes for the road or a party. Isn't it ridiculous to duplicate all your albums as playlist just to synch ringtones? There's gotta to be a better way... so nobody knows why can't we just synch the ringtones nomally???

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2009, 04:41 PM

I dunno.

I use playlists to build selections of songs that I want synched to our iPods.

Why on earth would you want to browse your music using the explorer?

iTunes handles genres fine and is so much better at managing music files...

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2009, 09:56 AM

Well I meant the «navigator» : the 3 colons separation with «genre», «artist» and «album». I absolutely agree with you iTunes manages music files very well.

deekat

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 02:00 PM

I have No idea what you mean by navigator.

Either way, it seems to be something external to iTunes, which, again, I completely fail to see the point of.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2009, 05:21 PM

In the french version of OX X, in iTunes, in the «presentation» menu there is a «navigator» presentation. I don't know how it's named in english but It basically splits the top of the iTunes lists in 3 column, one is for «genre», the other «artist» and then «album». It's very much part of iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules