Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Possible to 17" keyboard in 12" PB?

Possible to 17" keyboard in 12" PB?
newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2003, 10:52 AM

According to the tech specs the 12" and 17" Powerbook both have the same size keyboard.

Will it be possible to ge the ambient light sensing keyboard in a 12" aftermarket or is there a separate piece of hardware aside from the keyboard?

Any help would be appreciated.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

x user
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 11:13 AM

Are you sure the 12" doesn't already have this feature? At the Apple Store they said it was the exact same keyboard.

palmberg
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 11:28 AM

I wish someone could confirm this. It's my present understanding that the 12" DOES NOT have this feature. The specs for the 17" at apple.com seem to imply that the keyboard is special to the 17".

newportnews  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2003, 11:30 AM

The keyboard is exclusive to the 17" right now. If you look on the tech specs page you'll see it says "Ambient Light Sensors" is for the 17" model only.

My question is whether it will be possible to swap keyboards aftermarket BECAUSE they are the same size.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by palmberg:
I wish someone could confirm this. It's my present understanding that the 12" DOES NOT have this feature. The specs for the 17" at apple.com seem to imply that the keyboard is special to the 17".
the keyboard on the 12" is NOT lighted. I'm at expo, have seen them and used them. the reps i talked to said that although the keyboads appear identical from the outside the added technology takes space inside and it could not be accommodated. The project manager had already left apple's booth when i was there tuesday, however, so she's my first stop this morning: I'm going to order the 12" only after confirming there's no chance of the lighted keyboard showing up as a BTO option on it!

Steve intro'd the 12" as having all the features of tahe 17" (that's not an exact quote) but here are the diff's i'm aware of, and my assessment:
12" lacks lighted keyboard (important usabililty feature for me)
12" lacks firewire 2 (existing firewire exceeds video capture throughput requirements so what's the diff, other than a few seconds on some transfers)
12" lacks PC card slot (sounds significant until i ask myself how often i've used the slot on my 15"--mainly as an adapter for mem flash readers, and there are compact external usb or firewire devices to accomplish that)
12" lacks DVI out (unfortunant usability shortcoming)
12" lacks gigabit ethernet (see "lacks firewire"...)

Also:
compared to 15" (won't even bother comparing to 17")
12" lacks about a pound in weight
12" lacks an inch in depth and a couple inches in width
12" lacks the difficulty is use on a plane meal tray, especially when the person in front of you reclines his/her seat
12" lacks rear ports, puts them all on the side where they belong, imho, on a portable

peace
terry

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2003, 11:50 AM

My guess is no. But the real problem would probably finding a 17" keyboard to use even if they were compatible.

Vanquish
Jan 8, 2003, 12:08 PM

more important : could it be done on a 15" ?

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2003, 06:51 PM

man if i can buy a lighted keyboard for my tibook i will be happy =}
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2003, 10:28 PM

Can't switch 'em. As they look the same on the inside, internally, the hardware communicates with the LoBo to make everything happen. Also, as they are different size Lobos, the ribbon cable is in a different position so the connections won't align properly. Just like on a 12 and 14" iBook.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2003, 10:41 PM

i bet the 12" will eventually have the ambient light and firewire 2 by the year end.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 11:00 PM

I think that we would all love to have that keyboard built into the 15" TiBooks.

Engineer this Apple!

t

azark
Jan 8, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by rtdunham:
(...)

Steve intro'd the 12" as having all the features of tahe 17" (that's not an exact quote) but here are the diff's i'm aware of, and my assessment:
12" lacks lighted keyboard (important usabililty feature for me)
12" lacks firewire 2 (existing firewire exceeds video capture throughput requirements so what's the diff, other than a few seconds on some transfers)
12" lacks PC card slot (sounds significant until i ask myself how often i've used the slot on my 15"--mainly as an adapter for mem flash readers, and there are compact external usb or firewire devices to accomplish that)
12" lacks DVI out (unfortunant usability shortcoming)
12" lacks gigabit ethernet (see "lacks firewire"...)

(...)

You forgot some important things:

The 12" lacks the L3 Cache, the 1Ghz CPU, and the 64MB of video ram.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 11:32 PM

I can't wait for my 12" PB.. for light...

Kensington FlyLight Platinum

I have one and it works great! The light is a really nice white light (maybe a tint of blue??). Sorta like those xenon lights on some cars (but not that bright that it blinds you!)

But let me guess, "it's not the same..."

Next thing you know, apple will have beverage fridges built into their powermacs and people without them will be complaining that the smaller tower doesn't have one... and having it separate (like the FlyLight above) just "isn't the same..."

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2003, 11:46 PM

MacNN says on the Macworld page that....

* Apple today introduced new 12" PowerBooks and 17" PowerBooks with new aluminum alloy enclosures. Both notebooks feature a backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors, and built-in Bluetooth, while the larger one additionally offers built-in AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking and new high-speed FireWire 800.

Both of them.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2003, 11:58 PM

MacNN, in the great tradition of sloppy jounalism, is wrong.

Quote from the apple tech specs sheet:

Ambient light sensor
Measures ambient light and works with integrated software to adjust keyboard illumination and screen brightness based on user preferences (17-inch model)

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 12:09 AM

Yeah, if apple could engineer the keyboard replacement for the 15", I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It's the only feature from the new books that I'd really like.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 12:34 AM

Okay guys, most people know this, but I'll make it official (Read it from MY spec sheet, which is never wrong)

THE 12" Al Book DOES NOT HAVE A BACKLIGHT ON THE KEYBOARD. The 12" cannot have a 17" keyboard put in due to the electronics and ambient light sensors. Sorry, its a physical impossibility

Hope that clears something up....
Am I still here?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 01:10 AM

Also the keyboard is not removable on the 17" Powerbook.

Vond
Jan 9, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Also the keyboard is not removable on the 17" Powerbook.
This makes sense, of course - but my question then becomes how do you get to the guts of the machine? Panels on the bottom like a PC Laptop? I've always been very impressed with that feature of PowerBook design - I don't know when it was first incorporated but I first saw it when my girlfriend got a Pismo and I was a PC guy at the time - it blew me away!

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 01:45 PM

I understand the technology required for the ambient sensonrs, and that fitting that in the 12" would have been a hassle- but I think that they could have somehow left the lighting sytem in there. I wouldn't have minded a "always on" or "always off" solution.. When you think of the LED's in cell phones, that light up the keypads blue, green, or whatever, they are merely the size of match head- but the thickness of a hair, placed in different locations under the keys. Oh well.. maybe next time around.

hippy3
Banned
Jan 9, 2003, 02:01 PM

guys don't you get it...

the tiBook 15.2 is DEAD....

it's old tech.....

just wait for the alloy 15 or 16 incher....

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Vond:
This makes sense, of course - but my question then becomes how do you get to the guts of the machine?
There is a panel on the bottom that allows you to get at the memory. This is also a better solution because the keyboard is reported to no longer have any type of give to it. Its now rock solid.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by hippy3:
guys don't you get it...

it's old tech.....

or the 14,5 inche, that would be even better than the 12" with backlight!

and they have to make it possible in the next 12" revision to put a gig of ram in there!!
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 07:12 PM

guys don't you get it...

it's old tech.....

Ummm...I don't think so...of course they'll upgrade it like mid-year, but I don't think the 15.2 is dead. In fact I think it is far from dead.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2003, 08:31 PM

guys don't you get it...

it's old tech.....

=[ *looks at his tibook* *hugs*
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by JayTi:
Okay guys, most people know this, but I'll make it official (Read it from MY spec sheet, which is never wrong)

THE 12" Al Book DOES NOT HAVE A BACKLIGHT ON THE KEYBOARD. The 12" cannot have a 17" keyboard put in due to the electronics and ambient light sensors. Sorry, its a physical impossibility

Hope that clears something up....
So did you trade in your TiBook 15" GHz for the 17"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules