Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > os 9 crash then = no startup?

os 9 crash then = no startup?
dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 04:59 PM

Hey i have a prob with os 9. On my tibook i installed os x first, then i installed 9. My problem is when I go into os 9 then goto the 'startup disk' control panel and change it to os x, then push restart. The comp would crash. My prob happens even if i dont change the startup disk, it happens when i crash. But when i restart, the comptue rwould give me a question marked folder. Then i wouldnt be able to start up. The only way i fixed it was to use my tibook in firewire target disk mode, then go into os x in my g4 and try to do repairs. Sometimes it wouldnt even mount my tibook's HD. It would ask do i want to reformat it. But after clicking repair on disk repair, which gave me mountcheck errors that couldnt be fixed. I went into the startup disk in my desktop and it saw os 9 and os x on my laptop. I guess the only way i fixed it was to open the system pref app on my tibook from my desktop and choose the os x as a startup, then save it. Then it works. I'm just wondering is there a fix for this? Is it because i have os x and os 9 on the same partition? I know its not my tibook because i had an ibook and it did the same.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

Forum Links
Forum Rules