Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got the new 15" powerbook today

Got the new 15" powerbook today (Page 2)
Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 07:54 PM

The fan's been on more than it's been off, while running on mains power at least. (Fan doesn't come on as much on batteries.) Granted, I've been compiling software and running VPC quite a bit.

The fan is pretty quiet. Slightly louder than the hard disk. I imagine the fan would spin up faster and/or additional fans would come on it I were doing anything more processor-intensive (iMovie, actually doing work in VPC, etc.).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 20, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
QuickTime HD isn't that great on my 1.67 (jan 05) with 1.5GB of RAM either. (and i have the 128MB RD9700 card too)
The GPU doesn't matter that much. It's really up to the CPU, and the 1.67 GHz G4 isn't quite up to snuff, even for just 720p24 material. A 1.8 GHz 7448 might have been just enough, but alas, we didn't get that in the latest update.

Fortunately, the 480p stuff looks pretty good.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
The GPU doesn't matter that much. It's really up to the CPU, and the 1.67 GHz G4 isn't quite up to snuff, even for just 720p24 material. A 1.8 GHz 7448 might have been just enough, but alas, we didn't get that in the latest update.

Fortunately, the 480p stuff looks pretty good.

Yeah, I didn't think it did. I'm still really happy with my 1.67. Once they fixed that annoying trackpad problem that they had when it first came out, it's been a great machine. i just hope Apple does as well with the G5 1.8SP problem...

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 04:36 AM

So I just got a new 17" this evening. I noticed in the energy saver system preference that the processor performance popup menu is missing. It's in the previous 1.67GHz 17". Why would this change if the processor didn't change? Does any new 15" have this option? I also noticed the 120GB drive shows as a ST9120821A so it looks like it's a seagate. It seems really fast compared to the 100GB in the previous 17". I still only have the stock 512MB of RAM, haven't had a chance to get more yet.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

chromos
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bcaslis
So I just got a new 17" this evening. I noticed in the energy saver system preference that the processor performance popup menu is missing. It's in the previous 1.67GHz 17". Why would this change if the processor didn't change? Does any new 15" have this option? I also noticed the 120GB drive shows as a ST9120821A so it looks like it's a seagate. It seems really fast compared to the 100GB in the previous 17". I still only have the stock 512MB of RAM, haven't had a chance to get more yet.
In the new Developer Note for the 17", it lists this:
Processor Power Management
To lower power consumption and heat generation, the 17-inch PowerBook G4 incorporates an automatic power management stepping technique. Stepping is designed to run at full, half, or quarter processor speed and voltage to meet the demands on the processor. The processor speed will switch between 1670 MHz and 833 MHz at 1.30 V for divide by 2 and between 1670 MHz and 417 MHz at .93 V for divide by 4. The memory bus speed is not shifted.

If the 17-inch PowerBook G4 detects a system temperature that is high, due to high ambient temperatures or other factors, it will immediately force the system to quarter speed mode.

The 17-inch PowerBook G4 meets all applicable safety standards, including UL 60950 and IEC 60950.

Graphics Power Management
For additional power savings and reduced heat generation, the 17-inch PowerBook G4 incorporates a dynamic graphics power management technique. When required, the graphics processor runs at a reduced voltage and slower clock rate, similar to stepping on the central processor.
I remember reading somewhere else that the quarter processor speed was new, and also that in the old Developer Note, it specifically mentioned that the user can manually override the settings (both for processor and graphics card) using the processor pop-up menu. It looks like it's all automatically determined now...?

[EDIT: I should mention that the above is identical for the 15" as well.]

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 12:59 PM

Wow, that really sucks. I really liked being able to set everything on "highest" when it was plugged in. I guess you can still use the "best performance" setting though from the drop down list on the battery icon in the menubar though right?

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 01:58 PM

For those of you wanting to see a few new 15" PB pic, here is a link i just found and hope to share with those interested.

http://procrastinet.com/archives/000408.html

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2005, 02:42 PM

In the photo with the new15" Powerbook and 12" iBook side by side the 12" iBook display looks about as bright as the 15 inch Powerbook!
( Last edited by striker100; Oct 22, 2005 at 03:54 PM. )

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 09:28 AM

Wow guys have you all tried the Safe Sleep Feature?

http://hardmac.com/news/2005-10-23/#4658

I hope this isn't restricted to the new PowerBooks and that it gets featured in future OS X updates!

Have fun lucky folks

chromos
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by naphtali

I hope this isn't restricted to the new PowerBooks and that it gets featured in future OS X updates!

Have fun lucky folks
Hopefully it'll work out better than the "Preserve memory contents on sleep" feature available in Mac OS 9!!

What I'd like to see is this as an on-demand function available to the user, for example, if I'm not going to work on my PB for a couple days but don't want to shut it down entirely.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 12:47 PM

That's a pretty neat feature, and far more elegant than Windows suspend mode. Here's the Apple technote.

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 01:10 PM

another link of 15" powerbook dissection!

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-10-22/#4655

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 01:22 PM

How many people are upgrading to this latest PB, that already have a fairly new version? I have a 1.5GHz w/Superdrive, that is a revision B. It works great, but are some people thinking this is the last update, and it will need to last a while until the bugs are worked out of the Intel versions? It almost seems like exchanging same for same.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 01:23 PM

Actually I did test this feature by accident. I did the normal calibrate new battery by running it dry procedure. When the machine shut down, the sleep light went off so I thought it crashed. After connecting it to power, I got that bar dot symbol and it came back to where it was. I didn't know what that was until now.

I'm seeing lots of little changes on this machine compared to previous ones. When the screen display goes blank but it's not in sleep yet, the sleep light glows steady on. The PC card eject lever is different (not as good I think). and the overall quality seems much better than even my previous 17" 1.67GHz machine.

Originally Posted by naphtali

Have fun lucky folks

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 03:04 PM

The PBs needed both better battery life time and resolution, but this upgrade is not qualified to be named an upgrade :-) This is a HW patch, and I will wait until the upgrade.
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
How many people are upgrading to this latest PB, that already have a fairly new version? I have a 1.5GHz w/Superdrive, that is a revision B. It works great, but are some people thinking this is the last update, and it will need to last a while until the bugs are worked out of the Intel versions? It almost seems like exchanging same for same.
Me. Sold my own 15" 1.5Ghz Rev B a couple weeks ago to buy the new ones.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 03:56 PM

The resolution kicks ass so sharp, can't go back to lower pixel density

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by striker100
In the photo with the new15" Powerbook and 12" iBook side by side the 12" iBook display looks about as bright as the 15 inch Powerbook!
It is. I have a 12" iBook, and a new 1440 15" Powerbook. They are the same brightness. I traded a previous generation 1.67 powerbook for this one, and that one had a much brighter screen. BUT, It's certainly not dark AND the viewing angle still kicks the iBooks ass. I always had to keep the other one at a lower brightness for battery life anyway so it really doesn't look bad or anything, just an interesting tidbit.

hallvard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by lafiamma
another link of 15" powerbook dissection!

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-10-22/#4655
I'm a little confused about the review when it comes to the hard drive. It mentions buying a new hard drive: is this an external drive they're talking about?
The reviewer also mentions that the Hitachi drive is a lot quieter than the other one. That's a big issue for me since I'm aiming for a silent computer (or as quiet as possible at the very least).

I've been following some discussions on which drive to choose for the built-to-order Powerbook; 5400 or 7200 drives, and there's been some speculations/comments that 7200 don't really give much of an increase over 5200 drives, but they add heat and noise. Apparently, if I've understood the review properly, this isn't so.

Which 7200 and 5400 drives come with the new Powerbook?
And what's the name of the program used in this test to check drive speeds?

hallvard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 08:12 AM

I have another question which I can't seem to figure out by looking through Apple's website.
Is it possible to upgrade the new 15" G4 Powerbook to 1.5 GBytes of RAM?

I see that RAM prices from the Apple store are quite high compared to other places you can buy memory, so I was thinking about ordering the stock 512 Mbyte machine, then pop in a 1 GB memory module from somewhere else. Further down the lane I'll probably be wanting to go all the way to 2 GBytes, so instead of scrapping an expensive memory module I've bought I'll just scrap the 512 MB that came with the machine anyway

I can only find options for 512 Mbyte, 1 GB (in two different configurations) and 2 GB when choosing memory from Apple store's "built-to-order" option.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 08:53 AM

hallvard: Yes, it's possible to add your own 1GB stick to increase to 1.5GB. You just can't get that configuration from Apple.

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 04:12 PM

Yeah I added a 1GB stick to the bottom of the powerbook yesterday. 1.5GB ram.

Originally Posted by hallvard
I have another question which I can't seem to figure out by looking through Apple's website.
Is it possible to upgrade the new 15" G4 Powerbook to 1.5 GBytes of RAM?

I see that RAM prices from the Apple store are quite high compared to other places you can buy memory, so I was thinking about ordering the stock 512 Mbyte machine, then pop in a 1 GB memory module from somewhere else. Further down the lane I'll probably be wanting to go all the way to 2 GBytes, so instead of scrapping an expensive memory module I've bought I'll just scrap the 512 MB that came with the machine anyway

I can only find options for 512 Mbyte, 1 GB (in two different configurations) and 2 GB when choosing memory from Apple store's "built-to-order" option.

Moon Potato
Oct 24, 2005, 09:00 PM

I just picked up a new 15" over the weekend, and have yet to hear the fan kick in (although I haven't used it for any hardcore encoding yet... just some minor final cut renders). The trackpad is less sensitive than my old pismo's, and is taking a bit of getting used to, but I'm already addicted to the trackpad scrolling feature.
The screen is just about perfect for the 15" form factor - there's a good amount of space to work with, and text is still large enough to be easily readable... though the machine's hardware can't handle HD video to match it (at least with 1080p h.264... I'll do some more trials later this week with a variety of formats and resolutions).
Though I'm still kind of annoyed by the lack of new CPU's and GPU's in this update, it's very nice to have something that's tremendously better than a 500MHz pismo.

rjtprocrastinet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by striker100
Hey gang - I'm the proud owner of the PB in the pix posted above. Hope they were of some help.

I was surprised when the I saw the picture online to note what Striker's referring to - in person, there's no comparison between the two screens. They may be (as a later poster pointed out) the same "brightness" but the PB has a great viewing angle and is incomparably crisper and clearer, and looks much brighter to the eye. My camera (and photography skills) didn't do it justice.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the PB.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Potato
I'm already addicted to the trackpad scrolling feature.
Same here. I found myself running two fingers across the trackpad of a PC laptop this afternoon and being surprised when it didn't work.

lubberwort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 01:22 AM

So I got the newest powerbook today. 15 in, 1.67 ghz., 512 MB ram. Very excited since I upgraded from the 12" 1 ghz. One thing I noticed that I'd like to be nitpicking about. Some of the keys seem to be a little "off." As in the kind of click when I press them as if they aren't quite clicked onto the keyboard all the way. I think it will go away with usage. But a bigger problem is the superdrive. Any media I put in, blank cds, blank dvds, software, even the Mac OS X disks that came with the Powerbook are not kept in the drive. The disk is inserted, the drive makes some noises like it can't read it, and then after about 20 seconds, the drive ejects the disk. Has any other new powerbook users experienced this? I can't handle the disgrace of telling my Windows using roomate that my Powerbook shipped with a faulty superdrive. Argh, what am I going to do?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2005, 02:46 PM

The disk ejection isn't right. I could suggest you go back to the dealer, you will probably need to exchange it for another unit.

Originally Posted by lubberwort
So I got the newest powerbook today. 15 in, 1.67 ghz., 512 MB ram. Very excited since I upgraded from the 12" 1 ghz. One thing I noticed that I'd like to be nitpicking about. Some of the keys seem to be a little "off." As in the kind of click when I press them as if they aren't quite clicked onto the keyboard all the way. I think it will go away with usage. But a bigger problem is the superdrive. Any media I put in, blank cds, blank dvds, software, even the Mac OS X disks that came with the Powerbook are not kept in the drive. The disk is inserted, the drive makes some noises like it can't read it, and then after about 20 seconds, the drive ejects the disk. Has any other new powerbook users experienced this? I can't handle the disgrace of telling my Windows using roomate that my Powerbook shipped with a faulty superdrive. Argh, what am I going to do?

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 02:54 PM

An apple store might be able to swap out the superdrive.
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by chromos
In the new Developer Note for the 17", it lists this:

I remember reading somewhere else that the quarter processor speed was new, and also that in the old Developer Note, it specifically mentioned that the user can manually override the settings (both for processor and graphics card) using the processor pop-up menu. It looks like it's all automatically determined now...?

[EDIT: I should mention that the above is identical for the 15" as well.]
I picked up a new 15" and there's no longer a Processor Performance menu in Energy Saver. So it does seem to be set to Automatic at all times now. It'd be interesting to compare benchmarks with the old 15" 1.67s at both Automatic and Highest vs the new 15" 1.67.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 PM

That's weird. I noticed I do have the processor performance menu. Build 8E45 of the OS, right? And this:

Machine Name: Mac
Machine Model: PowerBook5,8

No migration, or anything. Factory BTO.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 09:12 PM

I don't have the menu. Build 8E45.
iomatic, do you have a 12"?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 09:33 PM

No man, the new 15". I've got the Better Energy Savings, Normal, Better Performance, Custom (greyed out) Menu items.

Weird, huh?

Doesn't everyone remember my posts!!$!#
BTW, this resolution is incredible.

Mack
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 09:56 PM

I have performance options on my new 17" PB.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 10:36 PM

iomatic and Mack: We're talking about the "Processor Performance" menu in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Do you have that?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 10:49 PM

Oh. uh. You mean that dropdown that used to be there in Options tab? Lemme check the ol 12"… uh yeah. It ain't there

oops!

Yeah-- No, it's not there. But heck, the battery drop down is plenty, for me.

Mack
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 11:28 PM

I have three options -- Better Energy Savings, Normal and Better Performance -- that appear in a drop-down menu when I click the battery icon. They also appear in Energy Saver under System Preferences. This on a new 17" PB.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 02:34 AM

Mack, that's not the drop down we're talking about. In Energy Saver, click Show Details, then click Options. My old PowerBook and my PowerMac G5 have a drop down menu for Processor Performance. Our new models don't have that drop down anymore.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 02:34 AM

Mack, that is not what we are talking about. They are talking about the actual processor setting that used to be in Energy Saver > Options. It was a small drop down that let you set your processor to: Highest, Automatic and Reduced. This was separate from the general Energy Saver profiles, i.e. the ones that you mentioned, Better Battery Life, Better Performance, etc...

Mack
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 09:09 AM

I don't have Highest, Automatic and Reduced options.

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mack
I don't have Highest, Automatic and Reduced options.
neither do i. but i still love this computer. it's my first laptop since a 500mhz pismo. i couldn't set processor performance preferences on that machine, so i'm not terribly disappointed that it is missing from this one.

can't we all just trust apple is doing the right thing? just kidding . . .
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

cindyding0412
Baninated
Oct 27, 2005, 10:50 AM

I decide to buy a power book tomorrow,

any suggestions?

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 11:03 AM

15" Ultimate version. It's the way to go. 7200rpm drive and a 1x1gb stick of ram... great for when you want to upgrade later.

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by cindyding0412
I decide to buy a power book tomorrow,

any suggestions?
i'd get the 7200rpm drive at least. you can always upgrade ram later. and get it for a much cheaper price than apple charges.

also, if you are the kind of person who can handle a hard drive install and/or are willing to wait to have a professional upgrade your hard drive for you. you could order the stock powerbook. buy the seagate momentus 7200rpm 100gb drive and put it in yourself, saving the drive that came with the computer and putting it into an external case. this will save you the most money.

but if you are lazy, like me, just pay the premium to have the 7200rpm drive factory installed, and install ram later. you can get a 1gb stick online for $120-140.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

galarneau
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 03:27 PM

Can someone post which model Dual-Layer Superdrive is in the new PowerBooks?

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 03:47 PM

This is the one that is in mine: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 03:57 PM

Ditto.

rjtprocrastinet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by thephotodork
...you can always upgrade ram later. and get it for a much cheaper price than apple charges.

[snip]you can get a 1gb stick online for $120-140.
Newegg.com has 1gb sticks for ~$85, and the Transcend has a $10 rebate on top of that. Over at AppleNova a guy benchmarked the Transcend chip and it did just fine.

Darksider
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 11:42 PM

Did they fix the superdrive? Can you burn at 8x with most dvdr media?

Forum Links
Forum Rules