Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My New 17" PB is GREAT!!

My New 17" PB is GREAT!!
HelloNateR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 01:06 AM

The new 17" PowerBook arrived today. With all of the posts about problems here, I thought I would let you all know that mine is PERFECT, and I am VERY picky about the quality of everything.

Here are some general points of feedback:

DISPLAY - I've checked the display and there are no stuck or dead pixels that I can find. There is the lightbar at the bottom of the LCD, but it is MUCH better than on my old RevA 1GHz 17" model. No screen flicker, which others have reported here and there.

RAM - I removed the stock RAM and installed my 2GB RAM from Crucial.com. It works great with no problems whatsoever. And what a difference 2GB makes compared to 512MB!! Anyone care to make me an offer for my spare 512MB chip?

HARD DRIVE - Not that it mattered to me, but I did get the 120 MB Seagate drive. It's as quiet as a mouse. I can barely hear it, and I don't notice it at all when I'm working. My only complaint, I was not able to customise my computer with the 7200RPM drive AND get any kind of express shipping. So, I had to go with the stock configuration because of time constraints.

AIRPORT - I did experience the problem, after installing my 2GB of RAM, where the AirPort connection was dropped. A restart and running of Software Update for all the available updates fixed the problem, as expected per other posts, which indicated that recent software updates had fixed this bug. No other problems with AirPort.

INSTALLATION - I immediately did an "Erase and Install" of OS X from the included DVD so I could rid myself of needless options (like the oodles of OS X translations) to save disk space. Installation of all of my software is still in progress. However, I had absolutely no trouble running all available software updates. I repair permissions after every major software update/install.

BUILD QUALITY - The best I've seen of any AlBook. No hinge problems, and the lid closes evenly.

Any other questions, let me know!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by HelloNateR
RAM - I removed the stock RAM and installed my 2GB RAM from Crucial.com. It works great with no problems whatsoever. And what a difference 2GB makes compared to 512MB!! Anyone care to make me an offer for my spare 512MB chip?
You may want to keep it in case you ever have to return the PowerBook to Apple to be fixed.

HelloNateR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 07:07 AM

Ah...good point. Thanks!

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 08:46 AM

Great to know that you are happy with your purchase.

I went to apple center last week and do notice the light bar but I can live with that. Also noted the viewing angle differs quite a bit by changing the screen lid angle or moving your head around. But I guess a screen this size, you can't help it. Can't wait to get mine next month.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 10:42 PM

i agree with everything you've said. i love my new powerbook and would definitely advise one to anyone.

i carry mine in a backpack and i find it very portable.

Mack
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 01:11 AM

I'm still loving my new PB as well. Zero problems, apart from a brief bout of the 2GB weirdness that went away after installing the Airport update. I'm very happy with the screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules