Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie mono left channel audio - copy to right ch.?

iMovie mono left channel audio - copy to right ch.?
hab
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 01:52 AM

Any iMovie or audio processing experts out there? I used a new sony zoom mic on my Sony DV camera to record my daughter's Shakespeare performance and now discover that the resulting mono audio plays only from the left channel speakers. It is a bit disconcerting to hear audio only from one channel. I would like to copy the left channel audio to the right channel so that the audio at least sounds balanced. Does anybody have an idea on how I might go about doing this? Many thanks for your help or direction to other resources. Harry.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 03:43 AM

iM has no panning function.../handles stereo as "one track"
iM6 allows "swapping" audio with Garageband (you can do a center-pan there)

or, export "movie" as QT/expert settings/choose aiff/=> generates an audio-file only, get any audio processor, as Audacity (free) to correct balance, reimport into iM....

Quantum Flux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 11:32 PM

i had the same issue with my shotgun mic which has a mono 3.5mm plug. in future use a 3.5mm mono socket to 3.5mm stereo plug adapter when you shoot. you should be able to get one at a radio shack for under $10.

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 05:39 PM

Excellent. I went the QT export and edit in Audacity route. Worked fine although a bit of work to modify all the pieces of this 45 min production.

My mono shotgun mic runs from the hotshoe so a miniplug solution is not available going forward. Needless to say, I ordered another mic this weekend - this time stereo!!!

Thanks much for the tips.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Forum Links
Forum Rules