Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon SD450 memory card not on desktop

Canon SD450 memory card not on desktop
hab
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 11:46 PM

Just bought a new Canon Powershot SD450 to replace my 2 year old Sony camera. Unlike the Sony, the memory card of the new camera does not appear on the desktop. iPhoto finds and transfers photos just fine. However, without the memory card on the desktop, there is no way to transfer videos without loading the Canon software that came with the camera.

I am just curious to see the different behavior between the Sony camera and the Canon with respect to the memory card. Is the problem that I am running Panther? Can any Tiger users out there who have a Canon let me know whether the issue is the camera or OS 10.3? Thanks much.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

breakstuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 02:44 AM

I have the SD450 and 10.4 and if you can get it to mount on the desktop... I don't know how.

I've used the canon software to grab the movies, but iPhoto 5 and newer can also handle movies, I believe.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 12:27 PM

It's neither the OS nor the card. It's the camera.

If it's not showing on the desktop, it means the camera is using PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). If it shows up on the desktop, the camera is using the Mass Storage standard. iPhoto and Image Capture both support both standards. Some cameras (like both my Nikons) let you choose PTP or Mass Storage. (The advantage of PTP is that you don't need to eject before disconnecting the camera. You can just unplug when the stuff you want is copied.)

As for the real question, which is not about whether it shows up on the desktop, but rather "How do I get videos off the camera?", the answer is that newer versions of iPhoto (5 and 6) will grab videos as well.

tooki

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 11:47 PM

Many thanks for the tip. I have iPhoto 4 !!! Time to upgrade I guess.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

I'm having the same issue with my SD550. When I want to actually look at the files on the SDCard I currently have to use an external card reader or mount the camera on my Windows XP machine. Neither is my preferred choice.

Has anyone found a way to make these PTP devices mount on the OSX desktop?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules