Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 63)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 02:07 PM

Everything loaded fine at my place, but the other night me and cyclopse were brought to a standstill when we went to go look at your place. So I logged in, everything fine, then once I was on your lawn everything went to hell. Blaze messaged me but I couldn't even bring up the chat menu, eventually he had to kick me. He's going to bounce the server and see if that helps.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2012, 02:07 PM

I just kicked Fatty (only kinda sorry) and rebooted the session. Its not pegged at 100% anymore. Is the a quarry or cobble generator that could be spilling items?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 02:30 PM

Jawbone, we're pretty sure your diamond chest connected to the quarry overflowed, and the thousands of loose items caused the problem.

You need to feed either an Energy Condensor, or sort the materials further to avoid backups.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2012, 02:33 PM

And stop use those transparent chests.

Well I'm just gonna AFK there with a void ring active till the items go away.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2012, 04:11 PM

I was getting booted a lot today, thought it was my machine being flaky.

Nice motel, I want to learn how to make colored light panels like that. But first, you know, basics. Is that iron rail station at spawn?

Yesterday I went back to Vanilla world to finish up my big tree project, couldn't leave it undone. I had lots of ideas for that tree, including building a cloud world (inspired by cyclopse) a la Jack and the beanstalk... However, once I did the minimum (the rail is connected, there is a small base around the treetop) I lost steam. I kept picturing how easy it would be to build this with a flying ring and yes one of those mercurial whatnots. Then for some reason, creepers starting spawning (never been a problem before, lots of glowstone and I had a cat) and after two repairs: GOOD ENOUGH.

On to tekkit. Agree with cyclopse, so many many things to craft. If I want the most rubber I have to make an extractor, then a bat box, and charge batteries... luckily I'm finding plenty of resources except redstone. My good friend miningturtle is going to help me with that. I like him, he was easy to make.

Soon I will have enough started to move out of the treehouse and build a real house.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 04:22 PM

Holy crap. Sorry guys. Not entirely sure how it happened.
[Edit: I know it overflowed, but the world anchor had been pulled up]

I'll get started on an energy condenser immediately.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2012, 04:47 PM

What I think happened is the quarry was loaded but the chests weren't. So they pipes pumped items into the unloaded chunks then when someone walks over. blam Lag bomb.

Nope, still bad.

Nope not the chests. It definitely right near the quarry.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 8, 2012, 07:23 PM

looks like it crashed again. just got into vanilla, but tekkit won't even resolve the name.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
looks like it crashed still.
fixed.

Hopefully I can run the in game clock long enough overnight to get the itms to de-spawn. Its actually running, its the router that doesn't like you ATM.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 08:08 PM

Server down on my end.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2012, 04:20 AM

Okay we're back in business. It was a pipe leak. There were 16k items on the ground. Can you guess where? If the pipe leads to an unloaded chunk the items drop on the ground. If you quarry contents are traveling a long way one of these buffers will condense them from single items into stacks, this also helps lag.

5976/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 05:46 AM

Man, I picked the right day not to be on.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:17 AM

[EDIT] As I read up on the buffer, I've figured out the problem.

Side note: that pipe from the quarry leads under the cobble, takes a right turn, and then feeds into my chest room. It's not dispensing onto the ground, if that's what the picture implies.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:20 AM

What I'll do is have the quarry dispense two blocks away into an energy condenser until I figure out a more elegant solution.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 07:33 AM

Again, sorry guys. And Cyclopse, I told you I was a bigger n00b.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 07:42 AM

I suspect the downside of having everyone get on is the proliferation of world anchors. I've tried to limit myself to 2 max since Blaze pointed out my mega quarry under the village was gorging on CPU (4-5 world anchors not counting an additional 1-2 in other places).

Actually, with all the dark matter I've generated for the Holodeck, I could very likely go down to zero world anchors when not quarrying. Aside from perhaps one at the railstation from time to time since creating coal coke is ridiculously tedious.

I completed my turbolifts sunday. AFter a borderlands session late saturday night I logged on and had sudden creative clarity on the outline of structure. Went to bed considering the wiring and when I got up had very little difficulty discerning and implementing the actual mechanics. I was very scared.

fatty, I've delineated the border of our lands by converting the underground subway tunnel to glass at the border river crossing complete with iron block anchors securing it to the landmass (this sounds fancier than what it is). I did some initial work at the railstation but am waiting to see your tunnel design before deciding which way to go on my end.

Built two MV arrays as well sunday, necessitating another quarry. I've been constantly transmuting copper and tin to keep the chest from filling up (indeed I found it completely full once and lamented not knowing how and if I lost a bunch of ingots) and after creating two arrays had decimated my stores of iron, copper, tin, redstone, and rubber. My quarry was fairly large but didn't seem to replenish the stores as much as I'd hoped.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 08:15 AM

I'm operating with one world anchor now, which should be acceptable. I won't be using anything but the energy condenser in the future, either. I figure that I'm converting all that crap to EMC anyways, and I won't have to run tubes for future quarries that might be away from my home base.

Also, this is about to get embarrassing...

Okay, it looks good...

5985/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Turn to the right...

5986/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Every single one of you should hate me for a gaffe like that (for a little while, at least).

So all that you see, from the "top" of the quarry downward, was spilt into the tunnel. A particular apology towards you, blaze, since you had to do all the work to get it back up and running.

5987/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 08:17 AM

I don't think people using multiple world anchors to run a quarry is a problem as long as we coordinate. I have two anchors right now, but the one at the finished quarry will be removed next time I'm on.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I won't be using anything but the energy condenser in the future, either. I figure that I'm converting all that crap to EMC anyways,
I'd suggest putting in a diamond pipe to send all the cobble and marble in to the condenser and then a diamond chest or two should handle everything else. For dealing with chest overflow see this. If you put all this right need the quarry you can pump the items out of the chests later when you're online.

5986/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Every single one of you should hate me for a gaffe like that (for a little while, at least).
That split in the pipe was me trying to get items out of the pipe without waiting for them to inch their way to the chest. The leak was actually right below the left turn were the chunk boundary ends. That's why I showed the picture with the lava I used to nuke all the items.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 09:00 AM

Or if he's paranoid aboutt he size of his quarry, he can do what you suggested plus a Distribution Transport Pipe splitting items evenly into two diamond chests.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 9, 2012, 09:01 AM

... And Cyclopse, I told you I was a bigger n00b.
I disagree. You're making quarries, designing resource management, and in general having a blast with the toys. No shame in honest mistakes. As for myself, I'm still at the "hey lookie... the turtle mines for me! that's pretty neato!" phase

(there's a good chance I'll never leave that phase, either. Simple pleasures and all that.)

andi*pandi
Oct 9, 2012, 10:14 AM

I would like to tell the turtle to mine in the pattern I've been accustomed to though. 3 high, one wide, every two blocks. Or maybe some other pattern... not sure how to do that. Seen sample programs out there, but it sounds like it's a bit of a PITA to input programs without editing text files offline?

And will turtle offload to a chest? Comments on the wiki made it sound like maybe.

So, yeah, I'm not mucking about with world anchors or quarries for a bit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 10:23 AM

The way I've had my quarry for a while is all the useful stuff get sorted with a Diamond Pipe, and quite literally everything else goes to a Condensor.

Also, look into Gold Transport pipe, when powered it can really speed up the process and not result in tons of items floating through the pipes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I'd suggest putting in a diamond pipe to send all the cobble and marble in to the condenser and then a diamond chest or two should handle everything else. For dealing with chest overflow see this. If you put all this right need the quarry you can pump the items out of the chests later when you're online.
That split in the pipe was me trying to get items out of the pipe without waiting for them to inch their way to the chest. The leak was actually right below the left turn were the chunk boundary ends. That's why I showed the picture with the lava I used to nuke all the items.
Ahhhh! I was wondering where the lava flow came from. I thought I just had some horrible brain fart and missed those two pipe blocks, which I had been 99% sure I'd double-checked.

I disagree. You're making quarries, designing resource management, and in general having a blast with the toys. No shame in honest mistakes. As for myself, I'm still at the "hey lookie... the turtle mines for me! that's pretty neato!" phase
(there's a good chance I'll never leave that phase, either. Simple pleasures and all that.)
Oh, you'll move on. I thought I'd live the simple life too. Now I'm living the semi-simple life.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The way I've had my quarry for a while is all the useful stuff get sorted with a Diamond Pipe, and quite literally everything else goes to a Condensor.
I figure I'll save everything except marble, cobble, dirt, gravel. I could just use the Energy Condenser for now, convert the diamond to EMC, and make rubies, etc. whenever I need, but that might become tedious. I guess you can't do the same with uranium either...

Also, look into Gold Transport pipe, when powered it can really speed up the process and not result in tons of items floating through the pipes.
Will do.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 9, 2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I would like to tell the turtle to mine in the pattern I've been accustomed to though. 3 high, one wide, every two blocks.
I had a similar thought... until I used the turtle to dig the tunnel from my first abandoned mineshaft (yes, that means I've found a second one already. sigh) to my home base. Turns out that the ore density is a lot higher in tekkit than vanilla, so here's what I do:
  1. I pre-load the turtle with a single cobble in each box.
  2. send the turtle off with TUNNEL 42 (the number appeals to me)
  3. follow the turtle collecting the ore drops it leaves and mining out the ore veins it exposes (love the gem picks)
  4. empty turtle

Sure, not the most efficient use of my time (when compared to a quarry) but it's a very controlled way to build tunnels. As I've found diamond, I've built more turtles, so as the first one digs ahead, I set 2 more to each side (TUNNEL 10 or so) with the same cobble setup. End result, a chamber 23m wide, 2m tall, and 42m long. Take the ore to processing then rinse, lather, repeat.

i find the repetitive task relaxing, like mining in vanilla.

That brings up a question: how high will basic pipes transport items? Love to set a chest in the mine, connect pipe to the surface, and have a delivery chest there. Load mined minerals in and let the pipe pump it to the surface. (again, pretty basic, but what the hey.. simple pleasures, right? )

Now, once I learn some more about the turtles, I'd love to program a few to do fun things. Have one set to build Stonehenge structures, perhaps a second to draw fractal patterns in open fields... Setup one to automate a skyrail line... that kind of thing

cycl0pse

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2012, 12:27 PM

The increased density of ore is one the most satisfying aspects of tekkit for me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 01:00 PM

Definitely the coolest volcano I've seen in Tekkit, right near Andi.

Teleporter down (and back up) to the Reactor Room is up and running. Hilariously the first try involved me bouncing back and forth between the two pads until the server booted me for hacking.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2012, 01:47 PM

how high will basic pipes transport items? Love to set a chest in the mine, connect pipe to the surface, and have a delivery chest there. Load mined minerals in and let the pipe pump it to the surface. (again, pretty basic, but what the hey.. simple pleasures, right? )
There's no height limit. There's an distance / loaded chunk limit. There's a to many items in the pipes causing lag issue. Suggestions, use one of the buffers I linked to before instead of a chest as your origin. Use stone not cobble pipe. Put in gold pipe sections were the items start to slow down. Don't forget gold pipes need redstone power.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 10, 2012, 04:23 AM

There's no height limit. There's an distance / loaded chunk limit. There's a to many items in the pipes causing lag issue. Suggestions, use one of the buffers I linked to before instead of a chest as your origin. Use stone not cobble pipe. Put in gold pipe sections were the items start to slow down. Don't forget gold pipes need redstone power.
In order:
  • Don't anticipate a overload-lag issue. Think "vanilla mining" with an item elevator rather than me schlepping the items up by hand. Good to know there is no height limit.
  • Buffer sounds like a good plan. That moves stacks, so that beats a chest cold. Question: if pipes link to multiple chests at the destination, will they auto fill the empty chest, or is there an item for that?
  • Gold is still scarce for me (haven't done much mining that deep yet)... will the slowdown hurt anything, or is there an alternative?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2012, 05:31 AM

In order:
  • Don't anticipate a overload-lag issue. Think "vanilla mining" with an item elevator rather than me schlepping the items up by hand. Good to know there is no height limit.
  • Buffer sounds like a good plan. That moves stacks, so that beats a chest cold. Question: if pipes link to multiple chests at the destination, will they auto fill the empty chest, or is there an item for that?
  • Gold is still scarce for me (haven't done much mining that deep yet)... will the slowdown hurt anything, or is there an alternative?
No buildcraft pipes put items into the first destination if not they fall on the floor.
Solutions:
1 Advanced Insertion pipes wil bypass full chests
2 items split at pipe intersections so you could set up a candelabra style branching to fill multiple chests.

No alternatives to gold pipe. 2 gold nets you 8 pipe though, with I think 16 between thats a long way. Slower just means more items moving at a time. If your not planning on moving the spoil via the pipe you should be fine.

andi*pandi
Oct 10, 2012, 06:01 AM

I'm experiencing lag in my mine, but I'm not using a quarry just a turtle. I don't have lots of machines or loot. It seems worse in certain areas - near something good?

No lag when I tried out sek's awesome teleporter.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2012, 10:28 AM

I'll check it out and see if I can come up with a theory.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM

I don't see anything out of the ordinary, but my awesome framerate kept taking significant hits when turning around or moving around. I've heard that flowing water and lava can sometimes significantly impact frame rates and given that your ravine has the greatest abundance of both I've ever seen, you might try snuffing a few of those out and see if it improves things.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2012, 11:40 AM

The optifine mod had a huge number of settings to play with. There are ones specifically for water / lave animation and translucency.

andi*pandi
Oct 11, 2012, 06:45 AM

That could explain things, the volcano might not be helping matters. Will look for those settings.

Also discovered that above where I was mining were still more mineshafts, and yes more water and lava. Blocked some of that off and a little better.

Cyclopse has built a proper house, I feel I have to move out of my tree soon and become civilized too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2012, 06:48 AM

Leave that volcano for last.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Cyclopse has built a proper house, I feel I have to move out of my tree soon and become civilized too.
heh. civilized. heh. wait until phase 2 starts. If I can get the "look" right... it will be FAR from civilized.

And, to paraphrase Doctour Who, treehouses are cool.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2012, 07:17 AM

Doctour
GTFO

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 07:54 AM

All EMC from my transmutation tablet disappeared...

I love this game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2012, 07:57 AM

Didn't I say that happened to me the other night?

How has this not happened until now?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2012, 12:56 PM

The second one looks like freaking Sleeping Dogs at a glance.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 01:27 PM

That just looks odd.

Oddly cool, but odd.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2012, 01:33 PM

Yeah but everyone hates when it rains in minecraft. Why would you want texture packs that only look good in the rain? For me the low res of the textures is part of the lego like charm.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 01:39 PM

Also I assume you'd need a bank of super computers to run it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 03:26 PM

Yeah but everyone hates when it rains in minecraft. Why would you want texture packs that only look good in the rain? For me the low res of the textures is part of the lego like charm.
Bingo. I've only used one texture pack that I liked, and I refused to use anything higher than the 32x32 textures.

My wife turns her nose up at the graphics: "Is that supposed to rain? That's so stupid-looking. Why do you think this is cool?"

I love the simplicity.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 12, 2012, 07:12 AM

OK, artistic question for the brain-trust here, since everyone tends to build awesome eye-candy. To replicate the look of metal girders, such as what would hold up a steel roof in a warehouse, what would look best?
  • iron scaffolding
  • iron fence
  • collection of cut blocks
  • (insert brilliant idea here)

cycl0pse

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2012, 07:13 AM

Scaffolding, fo' sho'

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2012, 07:16 AM

Yeah but everyone hates when it rains in minecraft. Why would you want texture packs that only look good in the rain?
COnsidering how often is rains, it seems like a sensible option. That said the server has been in a drought lately (NOT COMPLAINING)

For me the low res of the textures is part of the lego like charm.
It certainly was indicative of the vanilla game. But there's logic in getting more detailed/complexed textures with tekkit.

Bingo. I've only used one texture pack that I liked, and I refused to use anything higher than the 32x32 textures.
I don't do texture packs because of the hoop jumping, and the possible extra graphical strain.

Also, when playing SMP, I like to know what other see when they look upon my works and despair.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Also I assume you'd need a bank of super computers to run it.
Well, they're renders. So yeah, I imagine it's take a renderfarm to create FMV. Realtime is likely out of the question.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, they're renders. So yeah, I imagine it's take a renderfarm to create FMV. Realtime is likely out of the question.
If you're gonna build something and the render it, why not just use a nice render friendly CAD program or something. Pointing a rendering engine at a existing minecraft world is different.

If you want a photo realistic sandbox game, good luck.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 12, 2012, 07:53 AM

If you want a photo realistic sandbox game, good luck.
I have to say, the former programmer in me just curled up into a ball under a rock whimpering quietly at even the THOUGHT of this...

I may have to charge you for therapy

Forum Links
Forum Rules