Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8100 & OS9.04

8100 & OS9.04
xmishx
Jun 2, 2002, 11:59 AM

Greetings all,

My Power Computing Power Center 240 just does not act right and I am really fed up with it. Could be anything, I do not know, but it freezes on me whenever I push it even just a little in any app. With 20 128 meg ram chips, I would think I would be able to do lots.

Anyway, I have a 8100 / 100MHz with 136 megs of ram in it. At the moment, it has OS 8.6, but I'd like to use OS9 so I can use itunes on it. Also maybe to be used as the CD burning, scaning machine with light duty for Quicken and address and datebook use. Anyone out there have a 601 machine and doing the above capably?

Thank you,

X

VRL
Senior User
Jun 3, 2002, 04:37 AM

Actually, I put OS 9 on an even older Mac (5215, 64 MB RAM) and it runs quite nicely. I've been using it for easier tasks (Quicken, address apps are certainly tolerable). I did use it for scanning, but it was just too slow. ... Perhaps my G4 867 has spoiled me
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

macfool2002
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2002, 03:37 PM

I've got a 7100 upgraded to a G3 with 40mb or ram and it's been running 9.1 for over a year now with no problems. You should be able to do it easily.

Forum Links
Forum Rules