Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Show info in Panther?

Show info in Panther?
akuma-x
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:10 PM

Hi.
Every since I installed Panther (archive install) I am not able to get the same show info effect i was getting w/ Jag.
In Jag when I had show info enabled in for the desktop my hard-drive icon it would show the HD's capacity and the free space. Now in Panther it only shows the capacity and not the the free space. I also had a coworker test this out on his 17" PB running Panther and it is doing the same thing. I then went and tested it on a 15" PB that we have @ work running Jag. and it shows the free space when show info is enabled. Does anyone know how to get Panther to have the same behavior as Jag.?
It bugs me that I have to get info or go into a finder windows in order to see my free space.
( Last edited by akuma-x; Oct 28, 2003 at 11:29 PM. )

dole
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:19 PM

It is working for me in Panther. All I did in Finder was View>Show View Option then click the Show Info button and it works. Is this what you are talking about??

akuma-x  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:25 PM

Yeah thats what I was talking about
this is how mine looks when I go to view options and enable it...

http://forcefed.net/unholypassion/showinfo.jpg

dole
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:36 PM

Maybe you could delete the com.apple.finder.plist in username/Library/Preferences folder and see if that fixes it??

akuma-x  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 11:38 PM

Yeah that was one of the 1st things I tried.
I also created a new user account and that user account does the same thing.
Now here's the trip, My iPod does what I want my HD to do...

http://www.forcefed.net/unholypassion/showinfo2.jpg

akuma-x  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 12:07 AM

Update: Ok I got it to show now.
The way I got it to work was by setting My account as the owner in the permissions for the HD (I did this after I noticed that the ipod had me listed as the owner) I then ran a permissions repair and that set it back to system being the owner but the free space still shows. Now the problem I'm having is getting it to show a correct read-out. In Jag. I was able to highlight the HD icon and it would update the free space info, now the only way for me to get the free space info to update is by killing the finder, logging out, or rebooting.
Anyone having this issue?

Forum Links
Forum Rules