Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 800K Floppy Problem ...

800K Floppy Problem ...
MacMonster
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2001, 03:32 PM

I would like to buy a Mac Plus at a auction site, but the problem is I do not have any 800K floppy disk in my home.

Is it possible to format a 1.4M floppy disk to a 800K floppy disk?

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2001, 11:22 PM

Yup. As far as I know, you can just go ahead and use the disks. You'll have to reformat them to 800K, of course. The way disk drives differentiate between an 800K disk and a high density (1.4MB) disk is by looking for a hole in the upper left corner (opposite the write protection hole). The kind of drives that do this appeared in the late 80s early 90s, as I recall, so earlier Macintosh models would only see an 800K disk. But if you want to transfer files from the Mac Plus to a newer Mac, you'll need to cover up the hole with a piece of tape or something so it is seen as an 800K disk and not a high density one.

Also, I just found an article at http://shiva.soltec.net/~cbsc/512k/14mb.html that describes just what you want to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules