Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8100av will only boot w/ extensions off.

8100av will only boot w/ extensions off.
dagmar
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2000, 10:43 PM

Got this recently used, and have an older 14" Apple monitor (the one with the built-in speakers on the bottom) plugged into it. It will start the boot process, then quits just before you can actually see the extensions which are loading march across the screen, and makes no further startup progress. If I try starting with extensions off, it boots fine. It came with 8.0 and was doing this, so I completely reinitialized the hard drive and installed 8.5...still exactly the same thing. What is the final check these go through before actually loading extensions? And why would all be ok with extensions off? I have tried creating a startup set with only the minimal extensions needed to boot, still won't complete the startup process. No other software is installed...can't get that far!

FixItAllNow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2000, 02:58 PM

Interesting. I have an 8100AV as well and never had such a problem. Does the computer boot up from the CD-ROM startup disk with crashing?

I would recommend starting from sratch and reinstall the system software which came with the Mac.

One last thing, the AV card of the 8100 is needed in order for the computer to startup. I would recommend that you open the computer and carefully remove and then reinsert the AV card to ensure that it is properly seated and communicating with the computer. While you're at it I would also recommend gently removing the dust and dirt from the main board and the computer enclosure with a can of compressed air which can be purchase at the local nerd store.

Let me know if you still are having problems.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2001, 04:19 AM

Another suggestion, please try zapping the PRAM. You would be surprised what Mac problems get solved by doing this. Also, it is possible that the PRAM battery is dead. Replace that if you haven't already. Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules