Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my 15 Albook back from repair...

Got my 15 Albook back from repair...
Eddie Hellion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:30 PM

The white spots are gone, no dead pixels, looks like everything is good. Nonetheless, I'm still skeptical. We'll see how long it takes for the infamous "White Pox" to surface again.

I'll keep you posted.
Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'...they're burried in my back yard!

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 01:47 PM

Ditto ... while maybe not as skeptical ...

They replaced the LCD display, the "thermal module" (presumably one the fans), and the top case assembly ... now the track-pad button is much "softer" ... still not as effortless as my Firewire iBook, but quite acceptable. Actually I prefer the larger button size of the iBook.

No white spots, quieter fan ... but the lighted keyboard doesn't seem to work ... maybe it's not dark enough or did the tech forget to hook up the "light pipes?" Will this give me incentive/desire/intestinal fortitude to open up the case and peak inside?

P.S. Apple called twice ... once to say the repair was finished and again to give me the Airborne tracking number ... even the Airborne site yielded up-to-the-second reports on its progress from Tex-us back to Almost-Canada ...
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Ditto ... while maybe not as skeptical ...

They replaced the LCD display, the "thermal module" (presumably one the fans), and the top case assembly ... now the track-pad button is much "softer" ... still not as effortless as my Firewire iBook, but quite acceptable. Actually I prefer the larger button size of the iBook.

No white spots, quieter fan ... but the lighted keyboard doesn't seem to work ... maybe it's not dark enough or did the tech forget to hook up the "light pipes?" Will this give me incentive/desire/intestinal fortitude to open up the case and peak inside?

P.S. Apple called twice ... once to say the repair was finished and again to give me the Airborne tracking number ... even the Airborne site yielded up-to-the-second reports on its progress from Tex-us back to Almost-Canada ...
Interesting -- I have a 15" (bought two weeks ago) - and never hear the fan, ever. It also never gets hot, and has not white spots.

Makes me wonder if *mine* isn't f'd up.

jw

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 04:09 PM

Lighted keyboard is A-OK ... my wrong.

I still believe the fan is a two-speed affair ... It sounded like mine came on while installing Virtual PC and Windows 2000, and when installing Panther ...

So far, so good ... kudos Apple! 'And Airborne too!

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Eddie Hellion:
The white spots are gone, no dead pixels, looks like everything is good. Nonetheless, I'm still skeptical. We'll see how long it takes for the infamous "White Pox" to surface again.

I'll keep you posted.
Just curious, did you choose to repair it or get a whole replacement?

I just sent mine in a second time, my first for hard drive, this time for white spots, and they asked me whether I wanted to get a replacement or repair. I chose repair for the lead time, but I'm wondering about completeness issues.

Oh, and when I had it, my powerbook's fan came on noticeably when I ran Snes9x. So if anyone can't hear the fan, give that a try.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 09:57 AM

One final note ... in the process of replacing the various bits, the latch now works like a charm ... no slamming, just bring the lid in contact with the base, a solid click is heard, and everything's secure ... never pops open.

Eddie Hellion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by BearOso:
Just curious, did you choose to repair it or get a whole replacement?

I just sent mine in a second time, my first for hard drive, this time for white spots, and they asked me whether I wanted to get a replacement or repair. I chose repair for the lead time, but I'm wondering about completeness issues.

Oh, and when I had it, my powerbook's fan came on noticeably when I ran Snes9x. So if anyone can't hear the fan, give that a try.
I had mine repaired. They replaced the screen. I sent it in the mail on Oct 22nd, called every single day it was gone to see how it was progressing and got it back Nov 3rd. It looks complete to me. I don't see any evidence of thier work other than the white spots are gone.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 12:18 PM

I had mine repaired. They replaced the screen. I sent it in the mail on Oct 22nd, called every single day it was gone to see how it was progressing and got it back Nov 3rd. It looks complete to me. I don't see any evidence of thier work other than the white spots are gone.
Are you still having a spot-free powerbook?
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 06:30 PM

Good news that they're coming back OK. I have to find out who to contact in Europe to have mine serviced. I have 4 stuck pixels, 7 more all together in a crescent shape and the ever present white spot in macfixit's #4 circle. Want to send it in late Nov to be sure to have it for the holidays.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

beefstu01
Nov 10, 2003, 12:41 AM

I'll just add to the lot of people who got their PowerBooks back. I sent mine in about a month ago, and got it back on Thursday. Sure, it's been gone a while, but still, I love it! No white spots, my SuperDrive isn't as greedy for the disc as it used to be (the drive would grab the disc and swallow it with a loud *CLUNK*), and my latch works! They gave me a new SuperDrive, magnet for the latch, lid and LCD. Beautiful. Repairs are much better! Now I'm runnin' Panther and everything is just amazing.

1.25 GHz 15" PB if any of you cared.

Eddie Hellion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by RealMac:
Are you still having a spot-free powerbook?
Yup.
I've been using this machine now for a week after getting it back from repair and it's still doing fine. No white spots or stuck pixels. It's been on and running a lot but I haven't been packing it around at all. This week I will start putting it in a carry case and tote it around with me. We'll see if that can get some white spots to show up.

I'll keep you guys posted.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
Interesting -- I have a 15" (bought two weeks ago) - and never hear the fan, ever. It also never gets hot, and has not white spots.

Makes me wonder if *mine* isn't f'd up.

jw
I bought a 15" PB on Sunday - shipped with 10.2.7 so it's still in the box waiting for the Panther upgrade(�13.99) to arrive. I sincerely hope, that when it's up and running, it behaves like yours elvis - on the other hand if it does would both our machines therefore be classed as 'faulty' ..........??!!

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by voicebox:
I bought a 15" PB on Sunday - shipped with 10.2.7 so it's still in the box waiting for the Panther upgrade(�13.99) to arrive. I sincerely hope, that when it's up and running, it behaves like yours elvis - on the other hand if it does would both our machines therefore be classed as 'faulty' ..........??!!
You've got 10 days within which to declare the PB DOA, at least if you bought it from Apple. So get it out and run it through its paces, make sure everything's working! Check for white spots, etc, because after the 10 days, you have to go through the repair cycle rather than getting a new PB.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
You've got 10 days within which to declare the PB DOA, at least if you bought it from Apple. So get it out and run it through its paces, make sure everything's working! Check for white spots, etc, because after the 10 days, you have to go through the repair cycle rather than getting a new PB.
Based on what I was told at the Apple Store, starting Nov 11, people who are having issues with white spots will have their machine sent out for repair. That's what is the case with my 6th (technically my 5th replacement) PowerBook G4 at least. Hopefully it will finally address the issue that's been coming up repeatedly for me.
www.therealmac.net

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 11:51 PM

Yup.
I've been using this machine now for a week after getting it back from repair and it's still doing fine. No white spots or stuck pixels. It's been on and running a lot but I haven't been packing it around at all. This week I will start putting it in a carry case and tote it around with me. We'll see if that can get some white spots to show up.

I'll keep you guys posted.
It's about a week, any more spots? I'm waiting for my unit to come back from AppleCare still. Hoping it's sooner rather than later. Apple's check repair status page is down right now though.
www.therealmac.net

gif32
Nov 17, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
I sent mine in about a month ago, and got it back on Thursday.
It took a MONTH to get your PowerBook back?? I'm on my second 15" 1.25 w/ white spots and after waiting over a week for a replacement the first time (shouldn't that have taken more like two days?) I can't afford to wait a month to get one back from repair.

Sony got my Vaio back in 24 hours.

I called Applecare today to ask about LCD inventory before I sent it back, so that I can time my shipment to be when they're ready for it. Not only did the guy on the phone claim to have never heard of the white spots (unbelievable - he even said he checked their "hot issues" bulletin), but he said he has no information about the inventory status at the repair center.

Is there anything I can do to minimize the time I have to be without my computer?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 05:31 PM

You should probably just wait a couple of weeks until you hear reports of apple having a quicker turn around time. As long as you can still use your powerbook why be without it?

Eddie Hellion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:18 AM

It's been two weeks. So far so good. My Aluminum 15" Powerbook has been running pretty much all day, every day and no white spots have surfaced. I've got a perfect screen with no spots. I am grateful for the repair but I still can't shake the feeling that this is too good to be true.
Like watching a scary movie and thinking that the monster is dead but then it jumps back up and eats someone. I'll check back with you all next week.

Peace out.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 10:28 AM

It's been two weeks. So far so good. My Aluminum 15" Powerbook has been running pretty much all day, every day and no white spots have surfaced. I've got a perfect screen with no spots. I am grateful for the repair but I still can't shake the feeling that this is too good to be true.
Like watching a scary movie and thinking that the monster is dead but then it jumps back up and eats someone. I'll check back with you all next week.

Peace out.
I'm still waiting for my repair to be done. Apparently they've run out of the replacement LCDs. I hope for the best of luck with yours. I definitely will be having similar feelings once mine gets back.

That dual 1.8GHz G5 system almost looks tempting now, while I'm waiting for my machine to arrive back. Gotta remember why I purchased a PowerBook though..

Please Apple hurry. I need my pppreeeccciioouuusss back! hahahah
www.therealmac.net

mmintler
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 05:39 PM

Sent mine in for white spots on the 13th and repair status is HOLD -waiting for part.

When I call they still claim the screens are not back ordered-I've called twice and always get "the screen should come in today..."

Not sure why they can't be honest and say that it wil take a couple of weeks vs. a couple of days. Hopefully, I'll get mine back soon...I'm going throught withdrawl.

mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

sjake2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:53 PM

Just got mine back from repair. Looks good, but when I press lightly on the back of the screen, pooling is concentrated in the same areas that the original white spots appeared in.

I'll post when the damn spots return.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 04:08 AM

Mine's says ready for pickup, meaning I should be able to go to the store and just pick up the repaired unit.
www.therealmac.net

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 03:40 PM

Got mine back on Wednesday. So far, so good. As I've mentioned before this is my 6th powerbook g4 aluminum.

Here's a picture of what my repair form looked like.

www.therealmac.net

iDORK
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 09:02 PM

Peace out.
What is the part # listed on your proof of repair? Mine is 646-0175 and I believe this is an LG screen. A user from the Apple forums received his repaired PB 15" with part # 646-0174 and it was listed as Samsung on his proof of repair. The white spots came back for him so he sent it in for a second time.

I'm trying to figure out if 646-0175 (LG?) is the solution for these white spots.

Thanks.

Eddie Hellion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 05:56 AM

Yeah, I have the same part number. 646-0175 DSPL, 15.2, XGA, AU.

It's been over three weeks. Still looking good. No white spots or defects of any kind. I'm gonna knock on wood and call it good.

Peace out, yall.

Forum Links
Forum Rules