Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > electricity problems/getting shocked by powerbook

electricity problems/getting shocked by powerbook
pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 12:13 PM

has anyone had this problem? when i have my power adaptor or external monitor connected, i feel a very mild shock when touching the right side of the computer, near the ports. it's a very mild tickling sensation of a shock, but it's there. and if i touch the tip of the power adaptor, i feel it as well. it's not always consistent though. is this at all normal? i've the isolated the problem to when either the power cable or the external monitor are connected. i know my house has bad electricity, but i have my computer connected through a back ups rs 800 unit which is suppose to condition the power. i just want to know i'm not causing serious damage to my new 15" powerbook.
( Last edited by pippiwong; Feb 20, 2004 at 12:57 PM. )

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by pippiwong:
has anyone had this problem? when i have my power adaptor or external monitor connected, i feel a very mild shock when touching the right side of the computer, near the ports. it's a very mild tickling sensation of a shock, but it's there. and if i touch the tip of the power adaptor, i feel it as well. it's not always consistent though. is this at all normal? i've the isolated the problem to when either the power cable or the external monitor are connected. i know my house has bad electricity, but i have my computer connected through a back ups rs 800 unit which is suppose to condition the power. i just want to know i'm not causing serious damage to my new 15" powerbook.
I've gotten little shocks when touching my Albook, but I'm chalking that up to the weather. I've developed a Pavlovian aversion to the light-switch in my kitchen for just that reason.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2004, 04:02 PM

I've heard that sometimes happens when using the two-prong power adapter, and can be avoideded by using the longer 3-prong extension cord, because it's grounded. Of course if you're travelling that may not be the best option.

I took my 'book on the road for months and was worried when I first purchased it and heard these stories, but I've used it with the 2-prong connection all the time and have never gotten shocked. YMMV, but I've definitely heard others describe the same thing you are.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 06:44 PM

with my 15" albook, i will every once in a while feel something that might, just maybe, be a slight ticklish shock. but it is occasional and only barely perceptible.

Chulo
Feb 21, 2004, 04:12 PM

I too get it once in a while but only when it's connected to the 2 prong electric cord. It's not a shock but more like the tingly feeling of a lite current.

I too thought there was some defect but it hasn't affected anything yet. So far, it hasn't been often (just a couple of times) and it's inconsistent. It doesn't always do it when connected to the cord. Hmmm.....

pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 05:25 PM

my entire house only has two prong outlets, and they're probably dating from the 40s as they're all loose and falling apart. before the purchase of my powerbook, i didn't really care enough to ask the landlord to do anything about it the power/outlets. but now i've been on her case to have the entire house grounded and the outlets replaced. i just hope the tingling shock i do get does not in any way affect the computer in the long run.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2004, 05:58 PM

There have been several threads on this problem in the forum.

It is NOT normal, it is NOT okay, and you should probably have your Powerbook looked at.

At least in my case, I measured an - albeit small - AC current of 115V on the 12" Powerbook's exterior. I haven't managed to send it in yet, but it is definitely a defect that is covered under warranty.

I'm quite certain that the design is not intended to apply AC current to a user.

-s*

djjava
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
There have been several threads on this problem in the forum.

It is NOT normal, it is NOT okay, and you should probably have your Powerbook looked at.

At least in my case, I measured an - albeit small - AC current of 115V on the 12" Powerbook's exterior. I haven't managed to send it in yet, but it is definitely a defect that is covered under warranty.

I'm quite certain that the design is not intended to apply AC current to a user.

-s*
i dunno... being in a cool climate area, i am constantly wearing things like fleece that generate a lot of static that has to discharge somewhere. I usually just touch my digital camera's usb cable that is plugged in to a hub that is not connected to my PB. works fine for me. the dry air doesn't help either, and i've noticed a significant decrease since i began running the humidifier more.

My advice, get a humidifier to moisten up the air to prevent that static,
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 05:26 PM

I've had this problem and i have a solution that might work for you.

This problem occured with me after a DVD ROM replacement on my 15" Titanium PowerBook.

There is a small clip that grounds the drive to the chassis, when they fixed my dvd rom they didnt attach it and it allowed a fair amount of current to flow through the titanium upper case.

this resulted in a tingling sensation everytime i had her plugged into AC Power, or was touching something metal, like resting my feet on the baseboards in my apartment or some such device.

If you have a TI, pop ur keyboard off and check this out, it's very possible thats the problem that the clip is sticking up, or isn't attached at all. There isn't anything holding it there, it just kinda sits on and hopes u dont jar it enough to make it come lose.

I'll attach a picture of my beleaguered Powerbook (It fried on Friday due to a repair job done on it by a mac store.... being fixed tomorrow, yay me.)

Hope this works for you. If you have a AL book i dont think ur keyboard comes off, so you'd better take it in.

- Telusman

Click here for Picture
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by djjava:
i dunno... being in a cool climate area, i am constantly wearing things like fleece that generate a lot of static that has to discharge somewhere. I usually just touch my digital camera's usb cable that is plugged in to a hub that is not connected to my PB. works fine for me. the dry air doesn't help either, and i've noticed a significant decrease since i began running the humidifier more.

My advice, get a humidifier to moisten up the air to prevent that static,
I am not talking about static discharge.

I am talking about CURRENT.

As in, take a multimeter to the case, other electrode to something grounded, and you will see 115 V AC CURRENT. CONSTANTLY. Not the little prick-and-then-it's-gone - constant current.

Completely regardless of weather, seasons, clothing or lack thereof, and time of the day.

-s*

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 02:27 AM

well you have aproblem then take it back to apple there is problem with a ground wire in the case
this happened to a friend i told him too take it back , i can't say if he's done it yet but i'll ask!!!

sk

Sunray Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 08:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
[B]There have been several threads on this problem in the forum.

Bought an extra Apple power adapter 65W for my AlPB 15 here in Sweden.
Started to get problems with the power supply not showing any indication. No orange or green light.
Reconnecting it to the wall outlet made it work again.
But every day or every other day the light indicator and the adapter would die again, starting to drain the battery.
Also got ground noise in my headphones.

Went to my Apple Store and got it replaced since I believed it was faulty.

Still the same problems!

So could it be something with my new AlPB 15?

I sent it and the adapter to main service in Europe in Holland to have it looked at.
The result was that they couldn't find any problems with it and the returned it.
So I consulted my local Apple Store, and we agreed to send it back to Holland again, since something wasn't right.
They returned it, and still nothing.
The local Apple Store gave me a phone number to call Apple Support.
The Support guy agreed that something was wrong and that I actually had tried everything possible, including buying a new UPS (spike protection and power back-up) at 140�.
He then forwarded my call to Customer Relations in Ireland. They wouldn't help me since Holland had reported everything was "within specifications."
I told him this was corporate BS in the old Big Blue-way, which Apple built their TV-ad on, defying this kind of corporate mentality. I filed a complaint, what good that would do.

To shorten the story

Now after agonizing trial and terror, I managed to work out that all of this was actually a problem with the power adapter (even the second replacement).

So to stay on topic, somthing's rotten production wise with those extra 65W adapters you buy separately.

When trying the adapter that came with the AlPB 15 originally, it works just fine. Isn't that something!?

Watch out for those 65W Power Adapters.
It's NOT within specifications!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2004, 12:38 AM

sounds like a very different problem, though.

The shocks you get from my Powerbook are quite noticeable (should well be, at 115V!) and are NOT related to the power supply (which is original; I've tried others). A technician has confirmed this, though I haven't had time to have it sent in to the Netherlands for repair.

-s*

pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 06:27 PM

so it turns out i get shocked when i'm touching another metal object. in this case, it's the metal heater grille beneath my desk. when i touch it with my foot, which is common cause it's near my feet, and touch the powerbook simultatneously, i get that tickly shock/current. so, to any of you with electical knowledge, what's that mean? i know my house has an open ground too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2004, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by pippiwong:
so it turns out i get shocked when i'm touching another metal object. in this case, it's the metal heater grille beneath my desk. when i touch it with my foot, which is common cause it's near my feet, and touch the powerbook simultatneously, i get that tickly shock/current. so, to any of you with electical knowledge, what's that mean? i know my house has an open ground too.
That means that you have voltage on the case of your Powerbook.

You will get shocked anytime you touch it and something metal that's large enough to function as an earth for small currents.

I get it when I touch grounded equipment, but also when I touch a metal keyboard stand.

Have your 'book looked at. It's not okay.

-s*

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 01:18 AM

Any updates on this one?

I was sitting on my computer tonight and felt a mild shock on my arm... I've felt it before, but wondered if what was going on. I unplugged the power adaptor (plugged in with the 2-prong plug into a 3-prong surge protector) and noticed that when i touched the metal ring the LED light would go on. If i lifted my left arm off the computer it would go out. Now some info on my computer... the 15' Powerbook DVI has some paint ware on the left side of the computer where my arm sits... so it is touching the bare metal... is there anything I can do? Should I take my computer to Apple? Can I damage anything? Can I get a 3-prong plug somewhere?

-Todd...
( Last edited by Todd Corzett; May 5, 2004 at 01:24 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules