Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1 gig RAM for $265

1 gig RAM for $265
pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 01:18 AM

I just got a generic 1 gig stick of RAM from 1-800-4memory. The "brand" is Nanya. It cost me $275 but is now down to $265. I was worried at first cause it's not listed for use with Powerbooks but it has the same exact specs. I took a chance. Installed it yesterday, and have had absolutely no problems. No crashing applications, panic kernals, etc. Did the Apple hardware test and the memory module passed. Before using this generic RAM, I had to return problematic Crucial and Samsung sticks. Check it out:

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/23073/1GB.html

sbc
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 03:13 AM

It's weird that they mention that it does not work in Apple computers (the 265 one); yet, the $319 stick is listed as Apple compatible.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 04:54 AM

they recently put that new warning up in the past few days. based on the personal fact that the generic "non-mac" RAM works for me, my guess is that they want to make a few more bucks from Mac users?

nate_02
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 12:17 PM

I tried some generic ram from them, i'm not sure what brand, but it worked great the first day, then after that it was nothing but lockups. It happened to be in the middle of a show I was doing where I was playing video straight off of my PB. I had to reboot 4 to 5 times per show during the show. After I took it out, everything worked just fine.

Hopefully I just had a bad stick of ram and it's not all bad.
-nate

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:19 PM

$265 is a great price for 1gig module.

Forum Links
Forum Rules