Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen (Page 3)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 12:55 AM

I enjoyed it, much. It was pretty much as I expected. Super awesome transformer fights with stupid human in-between scenes and a light story. Actually the plot was better than I suspected. It wasn't quite as nonsensical as the first transformers plot, so I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, even Star Trek had bigger plot holes in some areas.

Unfortunately, it was about 20-30 minutes too long. Not because I have a short attention span, but because it seemed to have about 20-30 minutes of irrelevant filler dialogue, dog humping scenes, a Transformer fart, Jar-Jar-esque Transformer jive-talkin' twins, and a few superfluous battle scenes.

But other than that, like I said, I enjoyed it, much. I will be buying the Blu-ray disc of this movie.

P.S. I would prefer if American directors would pull back from the closeups during fight scenes. This a common problem with martial arts and hand-to-hand fights in North American movies, and is a problem with a few of the fight scenes in Transformers 2, too. Mind you, I saw it on IMAX, which just made the closeup-ness worse.

P.P.S. This movie is going to make a bazillion dollars overseas. The opening Shanghai scene definitely isn't gonna hurt its international appeal.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 25, 2009, 01:28 AM

all i want to see is fighting robots and megan. people looking for an engaging story and oscar winning performances from the transformers are just... dumb.

not all who wander are lost.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 03:00 AM

Kick ass movie I agree. Just got back a few hours ago. I enjoyed it more than the first.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 10:34 PM

I thought TF2 was crap. I liked the first, but this one had way too many annoyances.

The Jar Jar twins. I heard people laughing at them, so someone thought they were funny. But they bored me and had way too much screen time.

More deaths and resurrections than all 3 Matrix movies combined. When the big death happens, I know it isn't permanent and don't care about it, so it feels like a pointless event. And if a shard of the All-Spark can raise the dead, why didn't they raise Jazz? And the whole "you're not dead because I love you" crap just felt like Matrix rip-off time.

A big, boring dead spot between the forest fight and the last big fight. After the cool forest battle, the film transforms itself into The Da Vinci Code Reloaded. It was the most lame plot tangent in the history of movie making. If they had edited it down, the movie would have been much better and shorter.

Really crappy editing, just like the last one. Remember Barricade showing up and then vanishing in TF1? Is he still alive? Was that Blackout or another 'Con who looks just like him? And the desert battle went on and on and on, but I have no idea who lived and who died. Crappy editing and crappy story-telling.

The last we see of our villain, his sidekick says "maybe we should retreat?" but we don't see it happen. Show, don't tell, Bay.

Lots and lots of robots without names or lines or anything interesting to do. Poor Bumblebee spent the entire movie waiting around for Sam to make decisions.

Decepticons spit and drool now? Why?

Devastator gets a battle scene, but against the retardo-twins? Crap.

Classic jargon like Energon, the Matrix of Leadership, Space Bridge, none of which remotely resemble what we're used too.

"Only a Prime can kill me." Really? You mean a spoiler zombie Prime with bonus rusty plane parts can kill you, but a BFG rail gun capable of killing Devastator can't? Jeez, I can't believe the same guys who wrote Star Trek wrote this movie.

Cool stuff: Ravage, Soundwave, Devastator, Jetfire, forest battle.

So I'll probably buy this on DVD and make my own Phantom Edit of this. There's probably a decent 1.5 hour flick hiding within this 2.5 hr monstrosity.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
This movie is going to make a bazillion dollars overseas. The opening Shanghai scene definitely isn't gonna hurt its international appeal.
$387 million in 5 days

Domestic: $201 million
Foreign: $186 million

Top opening in China of all time for an English language movie.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
all i want to see is fighting robots and megan. people looking for an engaging story and oscar winning performances from the transformers are just... dumb.
There's nothing wrong with the acting and the story could have worked if they didn't go all Da Vinci Code with it. The problem is the editing and length and the Jar Jar twins while every other Autobot was crowded out of the movie.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 10:52 PM

Yes, the Jar Jar twins were really annoying and yes it was too long. Overall I still really enjoyed it though.

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Jeez, I can't believe the same guys who wrote Star Trek wrote this movie.
I can. There are more plot holes in Star Trek than in TF2, and there were several superfluous stupid scenes in Star Trek too, like the whole swollen hands thing.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 11:50 PM

It's an action movie based on a line of toys, what are people expecting? Characters with "soul?" An ingenious script?

I enjoyed it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 01:55 AM

Probably the funniest, most accurate assessment of this film: Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s!
If you had to pick a single scene that exemplifies Michael Bay's utter disdain for story and continuity, what would it be?
When five Decepticons sink to the bottom of the ocean to retrieve Megatron's corpse. A submarine tracks five "subjects" going down, and when they get there, one of the Decepticons is killed to give parts to Megatron. 5 -1 +1 = 5, right? No, because the sub somehow tracks "six" subjects coming up. Not only is this very basic math, this is the simplest of script errors. It could not possibly have been more than one page apart in the script. And yet Michael Bay either didn't care to notice or didn't give a ****. "Math? Math is for pussies. My movies are about **** blowing up, man."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 10:10 AM

^ If that qualifies as a big error in the script, then I'd say it is doing pretty well.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2009, 01:38 PM

I expect one thing from this movie: massive Bay-hem.

And it delivered it spades.

4 stars

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2009, 02:20 PM

I went to go see it with three of my friends. All of us enjoyed the first movie, but thought this one was terrible. Even an action movie should have some semblance of continuity and characters that do things rationally. I don't need a deep story. I just want things to make sense.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 02:25 PM

^^^ Maybe, but the first Transformers movie really made no sense either, and yes I enjoyed the first movie too.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 02:33 PM

Yeah, the first Transformers movie script was a complete mess. It kept starting plot threads and then forgetting about them. And at the end, the A-plot (or at least what I assume was meant to be the A-plot) about the kid and the girl and the grandfather's glasses kind of dries up and Michael Bay just says, "Oh, we're running out of time? Here's the cube in this random bunker! OK, plot over!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Probably the funniest, most accurate assessment of this film: Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s!
Which one died? That little sucker that the cat barfed out? I'm pretty sure one of the big ones carried him down there and could have carried him out again if he survived.

Anywho, saw the movie twice. I loved the first movie, didn't like #2 as much as I want to.

The story was not the worse part, the problem for me is they didn't show the transformers in a way where you could make out who was who and what was going on.

When I saw it in IMAX I had no clue what happened in the first 15 minutes with that giant rolling transformer as it was all just a blurry explosion and metal mashing together.

They also didn't show good shots of the new Transformers, the Audi A8 gets killed right away, it is never really clear how the girl motorcycle look when transformed to humanoid as they never stood still, same with the constructicons. The blackbird had so many close ups all I could see was his beard. At the end most of the shots of the robots were either really far so you didn't know who was who away or really close and all you see is blur. Megatron was also never shown close up what he looks like at that new jet or tank or how he suddenly got upgraded by going swimming.

In the first movie everything was pretty easy for me to make out.

Also how much collagen did Fox get in her lips, she looked like she was sucking on bumblebee's tailpipe for the 2 years between movies.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Also how much collagen did Fox get in her lips, she looked like she was sucking on bumblebee's tailpipe for the 2 years between movies.
Now you almost make me want to go see it
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

finboy
Jun 29, 2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I enjoyed it, much. It was pretty much as I expected.
Same here. My wife and I went to see it Saturday and the whole theatre enjoyed it, or seemed to. The closeups during robot fights were a bit much -- you can only watch so many robot parts at once.

The only thing that annoys me is the number of times they "transform" seems gratuitous. All that folding and unfolding just clutters the scenes if you ask me.

I hope it makes a billion - most reviewers (ESPECIALLY the Internet kind, it seems) are idiots.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 05:04 PM

Yeah, studios should be rewarded for making terrible movies. I think that's really what American theaters need more of — crappy films that are hated even by people who could tolerate the original Transformers.
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
^ to add realism to the movie. I'm sure that has happened many times before somewhere in some kind of household.
It's a slight better than a sloth jerking off a bull bison in a kid's cartoon.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by eug View Post
top opening in china of all time for an english language movie.
Do not want!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 07:50 PM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2009, 02:17 PM

I saw it last week and it was pretty much as I expected. Not as good as the first one, but ok. I'm going to see it in IMAX this week. Should be fun. The only thing that bothered me was how they revived Megatron with the all spark shard. Isn't that what killed him in the first place?

Jetfire was by far the best character of the film.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2009, 10:54 AM

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009...fallen-review/

A fine review and funny. I love the part where they ponder whether they would watch Transformers 2 again or one of the many bad movies they collect
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2009, 06:06 PM

Just seen TF2

Luckily it confirms my first rule of action movies

There are two things that are forbidden from making it to the end of an action movie

1) Gary Busey

2) Abrams battle tanks.

Other than that I have no comment.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 10:38 AM

Ugh, I can't believe it made that much money! I refuse to go see this movie though I kinda wanna see it just to see how bad it is. But I refuse to be part of the problem. Either way ten bucks isn't worth it just to have it proved again for me that Michael Bay can't make a good movie.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:11 AM

worth the $4.50 (cost before noon) i paid. was what i expected; little too long though.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 02:40 PM

for $4.50 it would have been worth it for me. for $8 before noon, it was not worth it to me. it was an okay movie, but a disappointment. and yes, a bit too long.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2009, 11:32 AM

I finally had the chance to see it yesterday, and I enjoyed it. It's hardly "art," but it was fun and funny in places. Shia was quite good at seeming both befuddled and competent, and Megan actually had a chance to look terrified. The effects were so far over the top that they were on their way down the other side, but that's what I'd expect from such a film.

I've seen so much "there's this gaping hole in the plot where..." stuff that I'm amazed it ever gets published. This was a movie based on a group of animated cartoons, which themselves were based on action figures. They had A STORY, which sounds like quite an accomplishment, given where the ideas came from. In fact, they actually had a decent, if spare story. It's really about toys, so why overthink it? Sheesh.

Oh, and the 'splosions were awesome! Lots and lots of splodees all over the place! Outstandingly splodie! That's what I went to see, and I got exactly what I asked for: fun with splosionation!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 11:45 AM

I enjoyed the first and wasn't going to see the sequel, but now Glenn's review has made me think twice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 12:40 PM

Read this then think again (major spoilers):
Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s! - Page 1

Seriously I put it up there with Battlefield Earth and Glitter as the worst movies ever made.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 12:53 PM

If even half that summary is true I think I'll need to see the film for comic value alone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2009, 06:15 PM

Other than not believing what is "PG-13" nowadays (since we had two of our five daughters with us), I give the movie . I think it was better than the first.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Read this then think again (major spoilers):
Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s! - Page 1

Seriously I put it up there with Battlefield Earth and Glitter as the worst movies ever made.
Battlefield Earth was the very worst film ever made, even counting Plan 9 From Outer Space (which nobody, even Ed Wood, took seriously). Glitter isn't the kind of film that you review, you just sort of glance at it now and then...

But Transformers 2 wasn't nearly that bad. And the Topless Robot review is an "anti-fanboy" attack, not a review. A "review" tells you about the movie and maybe a little about what the filmmaker was "trying to say." The TR article nearly comes out and says that the writer thinks Bey secretly had sex with his mother. The bit about the military is particularly telling because it shows the guy didn't pay ANY attention to what was on the screen-the military organization is made up of a bunch of different countries' militaries, and is merely "hosted" by the US. And it's kinda obvious why any military forces would be needed at all, since there's this problem with giant intelligent robots having all these fights all over the planet...

So I would advise that you ignore the text of that article and go see for yourself. For the price of a beer or two you can draw your own conclusion.

I mention beer because I saw the movie at an Alamo Drafthouse theater. I didn't have a beer while watching this one, but I did during Quantum of Solace... The food there is good too. More about the Alamo Drafthouse chain is here...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Battlefield Earth was the very worst film ever made, even counting Plan 9 From Outer Space (which nobody, even Ed Wood, took seriously). Glitter isn't the kind of film that you review, you just sort of glance at it now and then...

But Transformers 2 wasn't nearly that bad. And the Topless Robot review is an "anti-fanboy" attack, not a review. A "review" tells you about the movie and maybe a little about what the filmmaker was "trying to say." The TR article nearly comes out and says that the writer thinks Bey secretly had sex with his mother. The bit about the military is particularly telling because it shows the guy didn't pay ANY attention to what was on the screen-the military organization is made up of a bunch of different countries' militaries, and is merely "hosted" by the US. And it's kinda obvious why any military forces would be needed at all, since there's this problem with giant intelligent robots having all these fights all over the planet...

So I would advise that you ignore the text of that article and go see for yourself. For the price of a beer or two you can draw your own conclusion.

I mention beer because I saw the movie at an Alamo Drafthouse theater. I didn't have a beer while watching this one, but I did during Quantum of Solace... The food there is good too. More about the Alamo Drafthouse chain is here...
That wasn't a review, it was a FAQ. They posted a review elsewhere.

And I'm sorry, but the military is pointless in these movies. We learned from the first movie that bullets do nothing to the Transformers. Yet they spend so much of the movie just unloading round upon round into something they can't hurt (and the Transformers stupidly get out of the way, but that's another point altogether).

So on top of them being completely useless in a fight, their point is to keep the "secret" out of the public? Really?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 09:39 AM

I've never seen a movie with several "jump the shark" moments.

Cold Warrior
Jul 6, 2009, 01:06 PM

And I'm sorry, but the military is pointless in these movies. We learned from the first movie that bullets do nothing to the Transformers. Yet they spend so much of the movie just unloading round upon round into something they can't hurt (and the Transformers stupidly get out of the way, but that's another point altogether).

So on top of them being completely useless in a fight, their point is to keep the "secret" out of the public? Really?
Towards the end they used the rail gun effectively. The military in the movie is just for show really -- to throw lots of action-explosions-bullets at the Transformers -- and also to add a point of conflict/tension.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 01:09 PM

Um, if a cataclysmically badass alien invasion hit the earth, who else do you think would be in the fight? Tree sloths? Of course the military is going to be in a movie like this. They're not going to throw battalions of porcupines to fight in a battle, right? Geez.
the geek source

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Um, if a cataclysmically badass alien invasion hit the earth, who else do you think would be in the fight? Tree sloths? Of course the military is going to be in a movie like this. They're not going to throw battalions of porcupines to fight in a battle such as this. Geez.
You missed the point: In the previous movie the Transformers are immune to our attacks. Tree sloths and porcupines would have been as effective as our military.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
You missed the point: In the previous movie the Transformers are immune to our attacks. Tree sloths and porcupines would have been as effective as our military.
No, I didn't miss the point. You missed my counterpoint of the point. He said the military was useless in a movie like this, but my counterpoint was that what other options would you include in a movie such as this? If it were a real scenario, and the earth were at stake, every country would throw their military into the fray, regardless of how ineffective it appeared.

The point in this movie is to show desperation at stopping a seemingly unstoppable force. It builds dramatic tension, and really, you're not supposed to overanalyze a movie about TRANSFORMING FRIGGIN' ROBOTS FROM SPACE!
the geek source

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 01:18 PM

Now that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 01:18 PM

No, I didn't miss the point. You missed my counterpoint of the point. He said the military was useless in a movie like this, but my counterpoint was that what other options would you include in a movie such as this? If it were a real scenario, and the earth were at stake, every country would throw their military into the fray, regardless of how ineffective it appeared.
Actually, I think nukes would have been unleashed. Maybe EMPs? Odd how that was never considered (Maybe that was addressed in the first movie).

The point in this movie is to show desperation at stopping a seemingly unstoppable force. It builds dramatic tension, and really, you're not supposed to overanalyze a movie about TRANSFORMING FRIGGIN' ROBOTS FROM SPACE!
Having standards ≠ overanalyzing

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 01:20 PM

Let me rephrase - bullets are useless in this movie, yet the military did nothing but shoot at the Transformers after they knew it wouldn't do any good.

I don't think pointing out obvious plot holes and inconsistencies is over-analyzing - that's just casual observation.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 01:26 PM

Let me rephrase - bullets are useless in this movie, yet the military did nothing but shoot at the Transformers after they knew it wouldn't do any good.

I don't think pointing out obvious plot holes and inconsistencies is over-analyzing - that's just casual observation.
Mmmkay.
the geek source

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 01:27 PM

Now that I wouldn't mind seeing.
Launching tree sloths and porcupines at the Decepticons would be fairly entertaining.
the geek source

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 01:31 PM

Actually, I think nukes would have been unleashed. Maybe EMPs? Odd how that was never considered (Maybe that was addressed in the first movie).

Having standards ≠ overanalyzing
Maybe it had to do with the scene in which Starscream used an EMP on the military units? It's possible they're immune?

But, since it's a fantasy movie anyway, I suppose I might have included unicorns.
the geek source

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 03:09 PM

They're not so much immune as Michael bay considers plot holes to be decorative.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2009, 06:53 PM

In Transformers 2 it was obvious that bullets, bombs (big ones) and missiles were at least unpleasant and inconvenient to the Decepticons. By annoying them, the humans were able to assist the Autobots in their quite effective attacks on the Decepticons. Note that this "scorned by the reviewers" military organization was a partnership between the Autobots and a number of Earth military forces, so that told me that they had some sort of tactical plan established. "You guys go over here and make a bunch of noise and maybe knock a few of them down, while we go around and jump 'em from behind."

And let me once more point out that we're having this discussion about a movie based on action figures. Toys. Dolls. Is there any reason to expect logic or solid plots from a story about robots from outer space that can transform into a Camaro and a Peterbuilt semi tractor? I don't think so...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 07:52 PM

And let me once more point out that we're having this discussion about a movie based on action figures. Toys. Dolls. Is there any reason to expect logic or solid plots from a story about robots from outer space that can transform into a Camaro and a Peterbuilt semi tractor? I don't think so...
There is no argument you can make that will convince me to excuse stupidity in ANY movie. I don't care what it's based on.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 08:08 PM

I also wouldn't pay $20 to watch Michael Bay play with toys. When I go to a movie, I'm expecting something professionally made and enjoyable, not something where I have to make excuses like, "Well, it wasn't supposed to be good in the first place! This is the best bad movie of the year!"
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I also wouldn't pay $20 to watch Michael Bay play with toys. When I go to a movie, I'm expecting something professionally made and enjoyable, not something where I have to make excuses like, "Well, it wasn't supposed to be good in the first place! This is the best bad movie of the year!"
I didn't expect anything but mindless entertainment. Considering its subject matter, a bunch of cool digital effects and tons of 'splosions would have fit the bill for me. But the film did go beyond that-for me-and was quite a bit more than just digital effects and explosions. Though I think that it could have been called "Tons of Explosions with some Other Stuff" and it would still have been as entertaining, it presented a story that was age-appropriate for the original audience for the toys, plus some cool and fun stuff for older kids and adults.

To put this in context, I saw Dark Knight in the same theater. When Transformers was over I felt like I'd had an enjoyable couple of hours. When Dark Knight was over, I took something like 15 minutes to stop gibbering about a variety of specific sequences and scenes, and I still think that DK is a monumental and bound to be legendary film. Transformers 2 was a fun movie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules