Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Pillars of Eternity

Pillars of Eternity
Rumor
Mar 24, 2015, 01:22 AM

Is anyone looking at picking this up? I am toying with getting the presale through Steam for my Windows box. Looks great.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Mar 24, 2015, 04:46 AM

I backed the Kickstarter, so I've already paid. I saw the list of people involved, and I knew I had to do it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2015, 02:42 AM

Have it but haven't started yet, I'm waiting for some personal crap to work itself out first. Very much looking forward to it, though.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 11:31 AM

I'm waiting patiently for the summer sales before picking it up on Steam. I'm hoping to nab it for $20 or less. I'm dying to play this one, even though I've never touched a cRPG.

P
May 1, 2015, 06:36 PM

Finally got around to it, and it does not disappoint. The world is large, unique, and varied. The combat requires real skill, even against middling enemies. The control scheme is very traditional, but it feels like ice water in hell after DA:I. I could wish for a view more like NWN2 (NWN2 let you switch views, to an over the shoulder thing) but only for sightseeing - for actual combat, it needs to be as it is now. I'm glad I backed it, even if I forgot about size conversions when picking the T-shirt (US clothes are bigger at the same labelled size, so mine is like a tent).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 1, 2015, 06:38 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
(US clothes are bigger at the same labelled size, so mine is like a tent)
Merica.

P
May 2, 2015, 01:31 PM

It's not a problem for jeans and t-shirts as longs you know - just pick a size smaller for the shirts, and look at the numbers on jeans. Spain & Italy are the other way, pick one size larger. UK, Germany and the rest of Scandinavia are about the same as what I'm used to. US suits are cut rather differently though.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 7, 2015, 06:00 PM

Path of Exile ... better, and has multiplayer.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 7, 2015, 06:11 PM

Pillars of Eternity has no micro transactions. How are they in Path of Exile?

Rumor  (op)
May 7, 2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Path of Exile ... better, and has multiplayer.
Path of Exile is more like Diablo.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
...and has multiplayer.
Best way to ruin 90% of games.

I realize I'm in the minority on this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I haven't personally played Path of Exile, but that was my understanding too. Pillars of Eternity is a completely different beast.

I'm really enjoying Divinity: Original Sin right now. I'm using it to dip my toes into the CRPG waters.

P
May 8, 2015, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

I agree. The idea that everything should have multiplayer is like saying all food should have lots of chocolate sprinkles because people like chocolate sprinkles.

P
May 8, 2015, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
That's a very different type of game. Diablo is what I play when I need to turn my mind off - PoE I play because the story is interesting and winning the battles is like a puzzle.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

ditto
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2015, 02:22 PM

That's a very different type of game. Diablo is what I play when I need to turn my mind off - PoE I play because the story is interesting and winning the battles is like a puzzle.
Reeeeeeally? So you'd give it a strong recommendation, then?

If so, I'm going to put it on my wishlist (along with nearly every other Steam game), and try to catch it on deep sale.

P
May 8, 2015, 06:00 PM

I would give it a strong recommendation if you are into cRPGs. This is "Baldurs Gate III" with a good bit of Fallout thrown in. I am only about 25% into the game, but the story is interesting, the combat system is clever and invites to experimentation, and the game is actually stable and rather bug free, something that has not been the case for past Obsidian games.

What it is not is for everyone. Obsidian has made a game for fans of its past games (Baldurs Gate, Fallout, Planescape:Torment, NWN2) and doesn't apologize for it. You play on a map, not first person. If a companion dies, they are really dead and can not be resurrected - that bit of story is gone, no take-backs. If you build your guys wrong and get stuck deep in a cavern, you go back to the surface to repair, bring other companions, even hire if you have to. The combat can be quite hard, especially early on. It has not had a big publisher sanding it down to regular AAA game. To me, that is a big plus. YMMV.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2015, 08:53 PM

I would give it a strong recommendation if you are into cRPGs. This is "Baldurs Gate III" with a good bit of Fallout thrown in. I am only about 25% into the game, but the story is interesting, the combat system is clever and invites to experimentation, and the game is actually stable and rather bug free, something that has not been the case for past Obsidian games.

What it is not is for everyone. Obsidian has made a game for fans of its past games (Baldurs Gate, Fallout, Planescape:Torment, NWN2) and doesn't apologize for it. You play on a map, not first person. If a companion dies, they are really dead and can not be resurrected - that bit of story is gone, no take-backs. If you build your guys wrong and get stuck deep in a cavern, you go back to the surface to repair, bring other companions, even hire if you have to. The combat can be quite hard, especially early on. It has not had a big publisher sanding it down to regular AAA game. To me, that is a big plus. YMMV.
I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to Path of Exile (another PoE).

I'll definitely be buying Pillars as soon as it's on sale. As I said, I'm currently playing Divinity: Original Sin, and while it's not as hardcore as the aforementioned cRPGs, I've got most of them queued up, purchased during previous sales (BGII:Enhanced Edition, Planescape, Fallout 1 and 2). Though I'm late to the party, this type of game is 100% right up my alley.

P
May 9, 2015, 11:04 AM

Aha, I can see the confusion. No, never played Path of Exile - I just thought that Pillar of Eternity and Diablo are very different games.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 11, 2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Pillars of Eternity has no micro transactions. How are they in Path of Exile?
Purely aesthetic and completely optional

Forum Links
Forum Rules